Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Stephen Marley Fire TV Stick Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports STEM

Format: Paperback|Change

on January 13, 2009
I must say, I was very impressed. Many are making an effort [which I appreciate] to be more culturally relevant by printing Christian Mangas, though I must say, most fail. This book more than succeeds. I work as an Assistant Youth Pastor with a bent towards the nerdier kids in our youth group [as I am a nerd myself] and this was great for it. Tells the story in a near flawless manner, appealing to the kids who like manga, while not really losing the heart of the narrative.

Minor Criticisms [none bad enough to lose any rating]:
- Names seemed unnecessarily swapped. More accurate to the names they would have had, but inevitably led to people asking me 'who' a character was if they didn't already know the story.
- Loses the emphasis that gospel writers put in their own gospels since it is a combination of them all, but worth the trade off to include the entire story IMO.
- Depicts all the characters as white... but can you really complain? So do almost all Japanese Mangas that take place in Japan.

Sorry for the long review, but hopefully it helps. Summary: if you have kids, students, or friends who are into manga, this is the best chance you will have to get them to read the story of Christ.
on October 19, 2007
If your kids read graphic novels (comic books) and you would like them to read the bible, then give them this one. I didn't tell my 8 year old what it was, just left it on his floor near his bookcase (like I do with his Calvin & Hobbes, Batman, Fantastic 4, etc.....). He started reading it when he came home from school and I actually had to tell him to put it away to come down to dinner.

Wow! What a great way to bring the bible to more people!
on January 24, 2009
I bought this as a last minute Christmas gift. My son enjoys Manga style things, but I wasn't sure how this would be. The reviews seemed favorable.

I never thought we'd receive the reaction we observed. Between family members this child received electronic gifts. Of all the "bells and whistles", we found him reading this book.

I'm so glad I got this. My son is 10 and he really enjoyed seeing the Bible stories from the Manga perspective.
on November 16, 2009
I greatly enjoyed this presentation of the life of Jesus. Beautifully drawn this is a graphic representation of the life of Christ pulled from a combination of the accounts told by the four Gospels. As the story progresses scripture references from all four Gospels are given so that any interested readers can go right to the source.
This isn't a verse-by-verse retelling, it isn't intended to supplant reading the Bible, it's simply bringing the story to life through art.
For me, a Christian for 25 years, it served as a reminder that these were real events. Many movies covering these events try to do the same thing, but the flow of the story in this format works better. It helped me imagine what it would be like to be present as Jesus performed his miracles. I've enjoyed it as a lover of art, and it has blessed me as a Christian.
I don't follow manga specifically, but I've been a life-long fan of the art in comics and animation favoring the darker styles of Batman, Death Note, and Battle Angel (Gunnm Alita). I've often found myself stopping to just stare at the pictures in Manga Messiah for a while. The large image of Gabriel in particular blows me away. This is beautiful work!
If you've heard that this work promotes anti-Semitism, don't believe it. I respect Jewish culture to the point that I practice some of their traditions despite not being Jewish. Israel is my favorite place on Earth other than home, and I'd visit more often if I could. If I thought this work was in any way hateful to the Jews I would not support it.
on July 30, 2009
I will first admit that I have not read the entire book. I had it in my hands and I read a few chapters.
I have seen other manga or imitation manga and the artwork in this book is legit.

The artwork is very beautiful. I also love how they add little bits of humor here and there (when Jesus turned water to wine), that had me laughing outloud.

The message portrayed is authentic and is based on Scripture. It is almost like a commentary since it obviously cant have the Gospels line by line.

Take it for what it is: fun, great for kids, and art lovers.

Really breathes some emotion and imagination into the greatest story ever told.
on February 13, 2011
This book was awsome!!!!When I first read it,It reallly changed my life now I am more into the bible!!!^3^I'm very into manga and anime because I started drawing it when I was 10 And now I am 12. I think Its perfect for kids my age!(perfect for teens and kids who love comics and manga drawwings!!)

So take it from me a 12 year old girl...Awsome!!!!!!>0<,^3^
on February 9, 2009
I ordered this book for my grandchildren to read as I thought this format would be something they would be familiar with and enjoy reading. It tells the complete story of Jesus from his birth to his resurrection in colorful and exciting drawings. The artists have done a great job and the story adds a few comments you wont find in the Bible, but do not stray far away from the scriptures. This is a comic after all, not a scholarly work. I think teens and adults will enjoy reading it.
on May 24, 2014
This is the Bible I buy for confirmation classes now. Teens get excited about the Bible when they see the stunning cartoon art of Manga! I do too for that matter. It was hard for me to put the book down. -Amos Smith (author of Healing The Divide: Recovering Christianity's Mystic Roots)
on February 17, 2015
Chronologically Manga Messiah from NEXT Manga is the fourth book (of five so far, a sixth book is planned) that sets the exciting Gospel narrative in context and with authentic manga artistry. These books are absolutely the most powerful way for young people of all ages to spend time in the Word - you will find that your child turns to the full Bible in order to go deeper into the meaning - but these books are awesome for setting them on a course filled with excitement! With editions now published in over 25 languages, young people celebrate that their faith is part of a global youth culture movement - that they are enjoying the word of God just as millions of other kids are in many languages. Because it is so accessible and (dare to say, FUN) kids are sharing their faith through telling the stories in Manga Mutiny, Manga Melech, Manga Messengers, Manga Messiah and Manga Metamorphosis from NEXT Manga.
review image review image review image
on December 4, 2013
This book is a romp. It's fun and silly seeing all these biblical characters depicted in cheesy anime style. It's adorable. That being said, it's actually a really good, accurate depiction of the story of Jesus Christ, complete with citations for each page, if you want to read the actual portions of the Bible it's taken from.

This is gonna sound really lame but it'd probably be an effective way of getting stupid teenagers into the Bible and s***.

This is all coming from a pretty devout guy who used to teach Confirmation classes.