5.0 out of 5 stars Math Study Guide
Published on December 11, 2007 by Lisa McDougal

2.0 out of 5 stars where's the rest of it?
I have only been using this book for only a couple of days but I have already found quite a number of errors. This is unforgivable for such a text book which the reader is relying heavily on to be accurate in order to understand the concepts it is attempting to explain. Especially considering the price compared to many other GMAT texts.

Also, what is the...
Published on April 6, 2007 by andrew dawson

2.0 out of 5 stars where's the rest of it?, April 6, 2007
This review is from: Manhattan Review Turbocharge Your GMAT: Math Study Guide (Paperback)

Also, what is the point of providing practise questions in the chapters if you don't also provide the answers? How do you know if you're getting it right? If the answers and techniques are shown then it helps understanding. Something the authors obviously missed.

I'm shocked by the high ratings this book has received. Granted, it's quite well structured and gets down to the stuff you need to know ( I assume) but it feels like it was put together very quickly with information left out.

The GMAT Official Guide seems to be the best of a bad bunch.

3.0 out of 5 stars Too Many Mistakes!!!, August 28, 2007
This book is good cause it is small, has a good glossary of terms/formulas, but there are a ton of mistakes. Some that apply to numbers and make some concepts hard to understand. Plus, they don't explain anything. They show you a concept, give you a couple practice questions, then that's it. I guess that's a way for them to sell the other book and make more money. For the size of the book and overall worth of it to me, I'd pass. The 1st 20 or so pages are good, but the rest was sub-par. I prefer Princeton Review's Cracking the GMAT.

2.0 out of 5 stars too abstact, May 3, 2008
T. Dorsett (Evanston, IL USA) - See all my reviews
I can concur with others who have pointed out the distracting typos, which also make some of the explanations quite confusing.

This book appears to contain some fairly sophisticated methods for tackling difficult problems on the GMAT--the problem is that they are woefully unexplained and poorly illustrated. In fact, this whole thing reads like a course accompanying product that depends on teacher explanation. Very unpolished and really only of use to advanced students and those looking to get their hands on more practice problems. Go with the other other Manhattan series if you're looking for one good set of books.

5.0 out of 5 stars Math Study Guide, December 11, 2007
Heard great things from my colleagues about this series. They really lived up to my expectation though the book covers could have been laminated to make them sturdier! Overally speaking, it is a very good book. Basic to advanced. Tons of difficult questions. Solutions are very detailed. I also found a lot of free downloadable study guides from Manhattan Review's website ([...] Try it. I also emailed them directly about my suggestions on the books. They were very responsive and receptive. In sum, I recommend the Turbocharge books after going through a half dozen other study books. OG is also a must.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent book, January 4, 2007
recommended by a friend of mine who have used this book...really lived up to my expectations. Very clear and extensive coverage of all the topics in the GMAT. Even though my math is always my strongest area, I have still benefited substantially from working out those challenging problems. Its easy-to-follow format has also made me quickly caught up with those formulas somewhat faded in my memory since I have been out of school for a good number of years. Its quality certainly tops most of other GMAT books on the market!

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended, May 12, 2008
This book was a great help, providing clear explanations for the practice problems and carefully going over its methods in a way that was informative and easy to grasp. I was able to utilize this book to my advantage without any trouble and without having prior experience with practice problems and tests. Overall, the straightforward format of the book and its clarity of style helped me gain many skills necessary to be confident about taking the GMAT. I would definitely recommend this to anyone else taking the test and needing a practice boost.

4.0 out of 5 stars updates, September 27, 2007
I have recently purchased a set of Turbocharge GMAT books. The books are
very comprehensive and well structured with practice problems at the back of
the book behind all the chapter-by-chapter instructions. I noticed that all
the books are updated recently within the last two months. It is quite
assuring to know someone is always fine-tuning the content and updating it.
Highly recommend it. A friend studied with the set and scored 740 lately. I
hope I will match or beat it!

2.0 out of 5 stars Many errors, not enough details on explanations (in solution guide), February 18, 2010
I bought the set of 4 books (Math Guide + Solutions Guide, and Verbal Guide + Solutions) and am studying on my own. While doing the math Practice Problems, I realized there were many errors in the Solutions Guide (not the Math Guide). When there weren't errors, the author still does not do a good enough job of explaining EVERYTHING in detail or putting the necessary graphics (when needed) to explain his answers. If you are planning to use this Books for SELF study, then I don't really recommend these books.

IF the whole point of the books is that you can study on your own (At least according to [...] recommendation, awhich is a website supported by the Manhattan review), and check your answers (by buying the Solutions guide), then the solutions books should have lots of details, examples, graphics, etc to explain everything so someone can understand and have ZERO doubts of "How did he do that", "Where is the illustration"? The solutions guide (separate book) is such a disappointment!!!

Buying this book on it's own is worthless, as you don't have answers to any of the questions. What was the point of making 2 separate books? When they could have included everything (Questions & Solutions) into a single book!

The format of the text looks VERY unprofessional, and looks more like a book that your high school or college teacher would give you which is made up of black and white copies of his notes or papers. Maybe these books are just for you to use when you buy the Manhattan GMAT course, and then they would be useful. BUT THEY ARE NOT useful on their own....

The Math Review of the Barron's GMAT book is way better!

Good luck!

5.0 out of 5 stars An outstanding study guide., August 24, 2006
Very helpful in many ways. Strongly recommended if you are interested in bring your math scores up. The verbal study guide is very good as well.

3.0 out of 5 stars GMAT: Math Study Guide (Manhattan Review), January 9, 2007
I am not sure if this is the right price for this book, although the contents are good. ManhattanPrep has similar contents and it is much cheaper.

ARRAY(0x961921c8)

Manhattan Review Turbocharge Your GMAT: Math Study Guide
Manhattan Review Turbocharge Your GMAT: Math Study Guide by Joern Meissner (Paperback - August 4, 2006)
Used & New from: $0.01