on August 14, 2012
Format: PaperbackVerified Purchase
This new series is amazing they have truly rescaled their testing towards the New GRE. I chewed through Barron's, Princeton, Grubbers, Nova , and Kaplan's materials and this material is above all of them on a prep-standpoint.

Quant

Algebra- Great Tips in here on how to solve quadratic equations, as well as dealing with nasty two set equal problems 10/10

Fractions, Decimals, & Percents - Great review on how to use percents much better then Princeton's methods, decimals are easy, and dealing with fractions becomes like clock work. -9/10

Number properties- If your like me a lot of these books ( Mainly Kaplan, Princeton, and Grubbers) all break down the rules of Number properties in bizarre or overly specific ways that only seem to make sense for a certain set of problems. Manhattan fixes this so you have a clear set of rules which when applied breaks the rules down into simplicity. The divisibility outlined in this book are killer and incredibly helpful - 10/10

Geometry- If your like me then geometry seemed like ages ago. MGRE ( Manattan GRE) breaks down the rules shape by shape and outlines the rules you'll need to memorize. No FLUFF. -9/10

Word Problems- Everyone has some type of problem which is their weakness this was mine. WHile I'd like to give this a sterling review like the other this part of Quant seems to escape the MGRE writers. Work/ Distance problems are made much simpler and so are the mixture problems. However, MGRE lacks enough oomph to really draw out the harder problems. -7/10

Quant Comp & Data Interp. - Okay so most books impress upon you how to defeat QC problems this book breaks it down section by section which is much easier as PITA/ Plugging in a ZONE-F number ( Princeton) ( Kaplan) only goes so far and can sometimes make a simple problem much more complicated. This book makes exploring everything to find D so much more simpler. As For Data Interp this is lacking I mean its 6 questions on the test but MGRE really gives this a passing glance. In all honestly so do EVERY other book this and word problems seem to be an overlooked section for everyone. -9/10

Overall 8.8/10

Vocab/RC/Essays

Text Comp & Sentence Eq- This book makes breaking down these questions into whats important so much more easy then just memorizing turning points. There is a lack of practice problems as with any part of the the book, MGRE does however make up for this by adding in the 1,000 Hard and Easy words to memorize in the back and helps non-English speakers ( and those of us deaf to similes and homilies) break down idiomatic language. They do have a passage on how to memorize Vocab but honestly its a shill on their MGRE 500 word cards set ( which is in the back of this book). They make up for this truly i.n their strategies as presented. -8/10

RC/Essays - Want to break the essays down into no sweat easy to digest portions? MGRE makes it so easy to do that with their strategies. Seriously there's no need to repeatedly write out essays with this strategy ( still do though its worth practicing). As For RC This book is the sole reason I'm not still stumbling through wordy passages or even the short but terse passages. The other self -practice guides do so much more damage then good. I wish I could outline their strategies but its best to understand the questions and whats REALLY being asked. This book also Breaks down ASP or short argument passages something the other books seem to gloss over entirely or lump in with RC, these are not the same thing! -10/10

Vocab - 9/10

Other Notes

You get 6 practice tests with just one of the access codes you cant get anymore so scratching off more then one code is unnecessary. These Practice Tests are indeed helpful as MGRE breaks down the sections your weakest in.Use these as they are the best practice besides the Powerprep II software you'll get.

MGRE has a blog READ IT.

MGRE has a blog post called Math Beast ( find it on Facebook) READ IT and do the problems.

MRE does do GMAT stuff their GMAT stuff is somewhat ( not exactly Identical) ( you'll notice in these first prints in the back of the RC book there is a list of terms for the GMAT this is still useful for the GRE).

MY scores were both in the 90th percentile seriously folks GET THESE BOOKS.

OVERALL-
Q-8.8/0
V-9/10

Overall 9/10
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 21, 2012
Format: PaperbackVerified Purchase
I have studied for the GRE twice in my life, and struggled mightily with the exam initially. Like many, I started out using the base level prep books including Barron's and the Princeton Review, and achieved mediocre results. After doing a bit of GRE research I happened to fall upon Manhattan's GRE prep and was intrigued by reading the highly positive reviews for their product. I elected to shell out the marginally higher costs for them. I am very thankful in this decision, as I finally was able to achieve the scores that have made me into a competitive PHD candidate in the humanities.

The best aspect of these books is their ability to actually teach the materials, rather than memorize mere tricks and tips to use when taking on the math and reading problems. I honestly felt that the focus of other products such as Barrons and the Princeton Review, is merely to give you a tips and tricks to utilize when you run into a certain type of problem. While their advice is certainly not irrelevant, Manhattan Prep goes into far greater detail with each type of problem, and provides excellent game plans for approaching each type of problem and ample practice questions throughout each book. If you have been out of school for a while and need an in depth math review, purchase these books and I know you will come away satisfied.

Another amazing advantage of this product is the access to six fully simulated practice exams! The exams are simulated within your browser and are as close to the experience as real life testing as I have found.
I went through all six in my exam prep, and feel this was one activities I did in preparing for the exam.

The one area where I feel these books are lacking is in their verbal preparation. Manhattan's books give you a high frequency word list, but it isn't anything special compared to other products on the market. While Manhattan's GRE Vocab Flash Cards are excellent and far superior to Kaplan's product, I needed a more action oriented way to memorize new words, and made my own flash cards and word maps to ossify their meaning in my mind.

If you are prepping for the GRE and electing to self-study, I highly suggest buying these books and use their practice exams. I wish you the best of luck in your future academic endevors, and believe these products can help you get there.
on September 11, 2013
Format: PaperbackVerified Purchase
For someone who had been out of school for awhile, Manhattan Prep was a very thorough review of the material on the GRE. These books are a nice combination of material review and tips to answering the questions correctly. One feature that I particularly liked was that in the online practice tests, you had the ability to select math, verbal, or essay only. I prefer to study one subject at a time and this feature allowed me to do that. Furthermore these books have by far the most practice questions of any of the materials I have used.

One con is that I wish there was a bit more information and explanation in the word problem book. This is my weakest area and it seemed to lack the great explanations in the previous books of the set. Also, with how much this set costs, I wish the vocab flash card set was included instead of having to purchase it separately (I ended up making my own flashcards instead of buying the set. Good review by writing them down but very time consuming with 1000 words to memorize.)

One major caveat is that there is a lot of material covered in the 8 books and six practice tests. It took me about 2 months with about 2-6 hours of study a day to get through it all. So if you do not have the time to truly dedicate yourself to the books during the review process, it may not be worth the cost.

I have taken the test once before using Princeton. While I did OK on the test, I did not achieve the scores that I desired. Adding Manhattan Prep to my study allowed me to really understand the material and significantly improve my scores. I would highly recommend this set to anyone that wishes to score high on the GRE.
on December 10, 2013
Format: PaperbackVerified Purchase
This is absolutely the best and most thorough resource out there. I took the GRE last year - studied using Kaplan's GRE Premier and although I scored well on Kaplan practice exams, I performed significantly worse on the actual exam (Q-154, V-159, AW-4.0). I realised that Kaplan had lulled me into a false sense of readiness for the exam!

I decided to take the exam again this year, and found out about the Manhattan Strategy Guides. From the start I felt the difference between both Kaplan & Manhattan books. All topics are thoroughly covered in-depth. The books do not teach you math tips and tricks, but focus on helping you actually understand the material. Even the verbal sections are rigorous and time-consuming, but you come off feeling knowledgeable and confident, (and confidence is really important when you're taking the GRE).

I didn't have time to go through all 8 books (I wish I'd discovered the books and started earlier), and ended up rushing through them for only about 1 month to the exam, but my score improved across board Q-155, V-164, AW-4.5. I would advice you to give yourself three months to get through the material at a steady pace. You're bound to do great.

P.S. If you are gunning for a very high Q score, you might need an additional resource.
on December 3, 2013
Format: PaperbackVerified Purchase
Excellent guides to study for the exam. I purchased these about a month before the exam, along with a Magoosh subscription. I worked through all of the quant books first, then spent a few days doing hundreds of problems on Magoosh. In the two days before th exam I did the two GRE PowerPrep practice tests supplied by ETS.

With this plan I pulled off scores above the 90th percentile for each of the three sections.

The guides allow a fair amount of study-plan customization for you based on your needs and ability. The explanations behind concepts are very clear and concise, and the problem sets vary from very easy to very hard.

I focused on the Quant books, so I cannot comment much on the others. I did read through the essay book though, which was very helpful.

Overall I think this is an excellent set and is probably sufficient as a study guide, as long as you use the GRE PowerPrep once or twice. If you can pair it with Magoosh, that will be even better.
on November 29, 2013
Format: PaperbackVerified Purchase
I signed up to take the GRE after more than ten years out of professional school and quite literally 20 years since my last math class. I decided against signing up for a costly prep course for the simple reason that I thought its starting point might be too advanced.

I purchased this set and worked my way through all six quantitative workbooks on my own. The books are very conducive to self-study and begin with the very VERY basics -- fractions are introduced using a pie chart, for example -- and push through to the more challenging GRE problems. Each workbook has a practice set at the end of each "lesson," along with drill sets and then Easy, Medium, and Hard problems consisting of all of the lessons put together. I found that by the time I had completed each workbook I felt comfortable enough to attempt any problems in that topic; by the time I finished the whole set I felt I could read most GRE math problem, determine what is truly being asked - often it is more than one thing - and begin to solve. The workbooks, in combination with the six practice tests, brought my score up ten points from where I began on the PowerPrep software, which was essentially what I needed.

I found the verbal materials a bit of a mixed experience. This might be because verbal concepts are different from math concepts; it could also be that I came to this section with much more knowledge than I did in math. There were certainly useful strategies -- ones that I employed to positive result -- but much of it seemed repetitive. The vocabulary provided was fairly limited -- 1000 words, many of them easy -- and so I used an online app called GRE Vocab Genius which had more than 2000 words, many of them difficult, many of them tested on the GRE. My final complaint about the verbal was the manner in which it was tested on the practice tests -- I suspect that in general Manhattan Prep tries to test harder than the actual GRE, which in theory is a good idea. But in the verbal section this is often done not by including challenging problems, but poorly worded ones. I can't imagine any student would find this helpful. My verbal score did improve from the PowerPrep software and I was very pleased with my score, but it's difficult for me to attribute this to the Manhattan Prep materials.

Long story short -- for those unfamiliar with math, but comfortable with verbal this set is the way to go. if verbal is your weak point and math is your strength, this might not be the set for you.
on November 17, 2013
Format: PaperbackVerified Purchase
The first time I took the GRE I got 90% for Verbal and 48% for Math...

Then I used this series which *seemed* very thorough. The second time I took the GRE after having used this series I scored 90% on Verbal and 50% on math... So apparently not too useful.

The practice tests for math are inadequate. I took all 6 of the tests offered through the online website and it estimated that I would get 75%... I wish!! The practice tests completely left of functions and many other types of problems.

Overall, I was very disappointed with this series of books.
on August 6, 2012
Format: PaperbackVerified Purchase
This books contains lots of good strategies and questions.But its no different from the 2nd Edition.The 6 question papers you get are really good.
on October 11, 2013
Format: PaperbackVerified Purchase
Overall I found it a good starting point, but that was it. The list of vocab words is helpful, and I'm finding their reading comprehension and essay tips to be pretty useful.

However, it's the math parts I wasn't very happy with. If you're like me and apprehensive about math, I'd recommend using Magoosh's videos as opposed to these books. I don't need help understanding the extreme rudimentary steps of a topic - I need help and step by step instructions on how/why harder problems are solved. These books don't do that. They spent pages explaining how a denominator and numerator work, but when you get to the GRE-like practice problems you're given little direction and a vague explanation. I found myself more frustrated than not using them.
on June 3, 2013
Format: PaperbackVerified Purchase
I had one month to prepare for the GRE and was really in panic because I finished high school 22 years ago and hadn't touched math since. I followed the full math review program on these books and got a suitable score... they saved my life. They helped me with strategies for the test and their internet-based mock tests are very helpful and true to what the test is. As a foreigner with no experience whatsoever in American standardised tests, the books about the verbal reasoning and essay parts of the test were also very helpful for me to get familiarized with the test format and content.