5.0 out of 5 stars 14 Years Have Passed - This is Still a Great Toy!
Published on December 1, 2011 by Michelle K

1.0 out of 5 stars Fun until it BROKE while my baby was playing with it!
Published on May 23, 2011 by Maria Whitehead

1.0 out of 5 stars Fun until it BROKE while my baby was playing with it!, May 23, 2011
Maria Whitehead "tinkgumby" (Fort Worth, Texas United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Manhattan Toy Skwish Classic (Toy)
We loved this toy. I was worried at first that it could be a choking hazard with the small beads and elastic string, but I figured Manhattan Toy is a respected company and they must have gone through rigorous testing first, right? However, last week my son was playing with this in the car and one of the wooden rods broke, causing the elastic to snap and a bead to fall off.

I wanted to give Manhattan Toy the benefit of the doubt - maybe this is just a fluke somehow - but they have failed to respond to both a call and an email. I am very disappointed, and do NOT recommend this toy for your baby. It just isn't safe.

5.0 out of 5 stars 14 Years Have Passed - This is Still a Great Toy!, December 1, 2011
This review is from: Manhattan Toy Skwish Classic (Toy)
I thought it would be helpful to have a review of this toy from the perspective of somebody with a long history with it. My daughter, who is now 14 years old, had one of these as a baby. She liked playing with it then, and it is one of the few toys she kept well into her childhood. At first, babies use it more for a rattle or a teether. Then when they're toddlers, they use it more as a ball (bounce it, throw it, roll it, catch it) or a stress-relief toy (squish it, smush it). In later toddler years, they start to contemplate the 3-D complexity more and enjoy trying to make it flex and pull into different shapes as they stretch the elastic with stronger muscles.

While I admit it may not be as "exciting" as all the flashy, battery-operated, ADHD-inducing noisemakers that are on the market now, I believe this toy has a huge intrinsic value for letting a child contemplate shape, 3-D depth perception, color, movement, and cause and effect. I can't prove this, but I also think this toy might subconsciously plant seeds in a child's mind to help them understand atomic and molecular structure in the future (I'll let you know after my 14-year-old gets her first report card in Chemistry in a couple of years!) I just think the Skwish is the toy-equivalent of playing classical music to your baby. Your child most likely will not sit down and play with it for hours at a time, but in the few minutes s/he does spend with it, you will see the little gears turning in her mind.

I'm thrilled to see that this toy is still around, because I want to get one for my new daughter (9 mos old)! What I cannot attest to is the CURRENT quality of these toys. 14 years ago, it was EXCELLENT. If they have cheapened it up over the years, then that might be a problem.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very engaging toy!, May 15, 2008
This review is from: Manhattan Toy Skwish Classic (Toy)
My 10 month old son loves this toy. I like that it does not take batteries and that they get to decide what they are going to do with it. It smooshes down flat and can get pulled into many diff. positions. The srings are very stretchy. It is well made and very colorful. It is very easy for a baby to grab onto and lightweight to pick up. Entertaining for all of us. My 4 year old enjoys to join in the play with brother. Everyone who sees it loves it and wants to know what kind of toy it is. very different from the typical baby toy. My son enjoys something that is not blinking or singing in his face every time he touches it. I would highly recommend this toy!!

5.0 out of 5 stars This Toy Rocks!, October 16, 2006
This review is from: Manhattan Toy Skwish Classic (Toy)
We got one of these for our two-month old and she just loves it! You can't tell from the picture, but the black lines on the toy are STRETCHY! It's great for gripping and not too heavy (our two month old can hold it!)

It's worth every penny!!

5.0 out of 5 stars happy with it, April 30, 2008
This review is from: Manhattan Toy Skwish Classic (Toy)
My son is seven months old and he enjoys his skwish toy. He likes to look at it and shake it and examine it and chew on it.
It arrived less that 48 hours after ordering it with standard shipping. I had a question and I called the toy company's customer service and they were quick, courteous, and helpful. I needed to verify that it was OK that the baby chewed on it (with all the toy scares in the news) and my fears were put to rest. YES, it is safe for the baby to chew on!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best baby toy ever made, May 29, 2012
This review is from: Manhattan Toy Skwish Classic (Toy)
I am a pediatric occupational therapist and this is the go to toy for all infants during developmental play. They are successful in reaching and grasping some part of this toy because of all the strings, wooden balls and wooden dowels that are the perfect size for little hands. It squishes and bends with their movements and is very entertaining. As therapists we use this toy with multiple children daily for years and it has withstood all of that. We also clean it after every child and the paint has not even started to come off. I am having my first child and made sure this was on my registry!!!

1.0 out of 5 stars My son loved it until he cut his lip on it, March 8, 2010
This review is from: Manhattan Toy Skwish Classic (Toy)
The other reviewers are right when they say this is perfect for little hands to hold and little mouths to nibble. When my son was playing with it a few weeks ago he suddenly started crying his "I'm hurt" cry. I couldn't find anything wrong with him so I just chalked it up to teething pain. Well, it just happened again and to my horror I noticed a drop of blood on his bib. This toy somehow gave him a cut on his lip, poor thing. Maybe it got caught between the elastic bands or between a band and one of the balls. I now realize that it must have hurt him the first time, too. Twice is two times too many, so this toy is going in the trash. It's a shame because he really liked it, until it hurt him.

5.0 out of 5 stars Skwish, January 9, 2007
Jill Boyer (Indianapolis, IN USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Manhattan Toy Skwish Classic (Toy)
I bought this for my nephew that was coming to visit from Germany. He is 13 months old and loved it (since it is labeled for 0-12 months). It was perfect for the plane ride (9 hour ride) since it is light weight can be "skwished" with out breaking it, and it doesn't make much noise (it only makes noise when the wood pieces slide on the ropes and hit each other). This is the kind of toy that can be bought for a much younger (3 months or so)child and it will grow with them. I would absolutely recommend this toy for car rides, plane trips or just playing around the house.

2.0 out of 5 stars Elastic Gives Out Quickly, March 16, 2010
= Durability:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Manhattan Toy Skwish Classic (Toy)
It's a great design, fun to look at and handle, but the elastic cords connecting all the components wore out pretty quickly, completely ruining the toy. I wouldn't buy another one. Disappointing.

5.0 out of 5 stars teether, rattle and motion toy, May 29, 2008
This review is from: Manhattan Toy Skwish Classic (Toy)
I got the coloburst(pastel)for my now 2 1/2 year-old daughter when she was only a few months old. Since she had chewed on it, I wanted to get a new one when I found out I was expecting a boy. We got the classic(bright colos) before he was born. He was able to grasp at it in only a month or two, due to its narrow rods, strecthy bands and light weight. My daughter still plays with it. The moving parts, ease of holding and ablity to compress make it a great toy to learn how and why things work and teach color recognition. My 2 1/2yr old has not tired playing with it and I see it being around for some time to come.

Manhattan Toy Skwish Classic