5.0 out of 5 stars Great for developing two handed play
It is odd to rate the 'educational' value of this toy. It won't make your kid do calculus. But our baby started playing with this toy when he was about 12 weeks old. He was born 6 weeks premature, but because of his interest in this toy he developed two-handed play (an early developmental milestone) well ahead of time.

I could see that perhaps an older child...
Published on September 1, 2009 by Erin Mcdonnell

My 6 month old loves the Manhattan Toy Winkel! I highly recommend this toy and all of its uses, but buy in an actual storefront to know what you're getting. The price on Amazon was hard to beat, but received second rate toy.

Published on July 8, 2012 by Angela B

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for developing two handed play, September 1, 2009
This review is from: Manhattan Toy Winkel Rattle and Sensory Teether Activity Toy (Baby Product)

I could see that perhaps an older child might not find this engaging enough, but our son still enjoys playing with it and chewing on it now as a 7 month old.

PROS:

The slim flexible bands make this much easier for early grasping than many things sold as rattles, which are too fat for young, small, clumsy hands to grasp.

The rattle sound is not so loud as to be deafening or obnoxious

It can be refrigerated for teething. Again, the slim rings fit into his small mouth so much better than many of the large bulky teethers. He has a teether that he cant yet grasp and manipulate for himself because it is so bulky. Plus, the many loops mean that there are different things to chew on no matter which way he turns it, there isn't just one "right" way to hold it.

The loops also make it convenient to take with you. We hook one strap of our stroller brace through a loop and he can merrily play with it while we walk without fear that it will fall onto the ground. We receive lots of funny comments about how it looks like he is "driving" his stroller by grasping the ball like a steering wheel.

Fun, engaging and helpful for developing two-handed play. Probably most appropriate as a toy for babies 3-5 months and as a teether for older children.

5.0 out of 5 stars Baby Loves This Toy, October 31, 2006
H-Dog (Alhambra, CA United States) - See all my reviews
We got this toy as a gift from our friends and our baby loves it. He is 3 months old and finds this toy really easy to grab. The rings are squishy and thin so there are many places to grab hold. He can put his entire hand through it and use his arm to get it to his mouth. It's also large enough for him to grab it with both hands easily. He'll also shake it. It's definitely his favorite toy and it keeps his attention.

1.0 out of 5 stars Product itself is great, but item received not as described or as sold in stores!, July 8, 2012

1. Nowhere in the listing does it say colors may vary. And if you go to the Manhattan Toy website, you will find only two variations in the colors of this toy. The one we received was not as pictured. A baby doesn't care about colors, but when I receive something not as pictured or described in the listing, and especially not like what is found on the brand website, I question authenticity.

2. Even more concerning is that the center rattle piece was also slightly damaged - two cracks on one side, peeling on a corner, and polka dots not solidly painted. Toy seems safe for babies and small children and hard to destroy in transit, so I'm not sure how the quality of this toy was overlooked prior to shipping. Definitely not the same quality of the Winkels my friends have or that I've seen sold in stores!

Did they think I wouldn't notice any of this?!

5.0 out of 5 stars First toy our 10 week old son actually played with, April 12, 2010
I found out about this toy on a parenting forum where some mom wrote "I melted my son's Winkel!" after a few chuckles about the obvious "what that *could* have been referring to" I went and looked at the product itself and after hearing other parent comments about how much their little person enjoyed this I decided I would get one for our little boy too.

First of all: I guess you probably shouldn't put this toy in a sanitizer (like you would use to sanitize baby bottles) that's how the forum mom melted her son's toy. So put that on the top of the "don't do this" list.

This is plastic and it is made in China but purports to be PVC and phaelate free. When it arrived it was very clean. I washed it off with a little soap and water to be safe but I am not too concerned about him sticking it in his mouth.

I gave this to our son when he was ten weeks old. He was able to grab it and hold it and eventually started passing it from one hand to the other and holding it up, sticking it in his mouth, playing with it with his feet. I think it makes a good first toy. It's light enough and soft/flexible enough he can't really hurt himself with it.

It's also really cute and reminds geek daddy a little bit of an atom or molecule.

1.0 out of 5 stars Bleeds color when washed!, March 8, 2011
I was really excited to get this toy for my daughter, because all the reviews were so positive. The toy got dirty so I washed it in some soapy water, this is when it bled green dye all over the wash cloth. If it's bleeding dye from a little soap, who knows how much dye my little one could ingest when she's chewing on it... Needless to say I threw it out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Has lasted through three children..., June 7, 2007
Eibhlin (Arlington, TX) - See all my reviews
I don't know about PVC or plastic coating or anything like that, but I CAN tell you that it is worth the price if you're planning on having more than one kid. We opened up our Winkel in Jan 2004 for our oldest son...our daughter used it throughout 05 and early 06...and our youngest son has had his hands and mouth on it for two months now. It hasn't cracked, faded, etc despite months...YEARS...of use! I get this toy for everyone having their first child as all three of mine have loved it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Chewing fun, January 11, 2008
This toy is pliable and rubbery. The loops easily fit into mouth and satisfy my teething child more than any teether I have purchased. The multiple loops are easy to grab for my 8 month old to manipulate the toy. Soft jiggle noise is not annoying. Can slam it on the highchair tray and still hear myself think. Also great for learning to throw and catch.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great design, but a little heavy, March 8, 2009
Our friend bought this as a gift for our 3 month old. The design is great for your child's hands and can be easily grasped. The plastic rings are fun to bend & stretch and the center cube offers a slight rattle sound. It could also be refrigerated and used as a teething toy. The only problem we have is it's a little heavy and can be difficult to pass from one hand to another. Our child likes to handle his Oball better because it's lighter weight, but will probably enjoy this toy more when he's older.

5.0 out of 5 stars Baby's favorite teether/toy, April 16, 2007
Christopher A. (San Antonio, TX, USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
My son is currently 4 months old, and this is currently his favorite toy. He loves to watch it, hold it, and chew on it with his gums.

1.0 out of 5 stars Toxic plastic smell, April 23, 2011
= Durability:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:4.0 out of 5 stars
When receiving this toy, a strong odor oozed from the plastic rings. I even washed it, but the smell was zoo strong, and decided to return it. I rather pay a little more and get a healthy toy for my newborn. Stronger the odor the more toxic the plastic is. Just FYI. So before buying any plastic object, the parents should smell it first. If it smells quite strong and you cannot stand longer than 30 sec. , one should know where they stand.

Rate and Discover Movies