Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Manic Panic ~ Semi-Permanent Hair Dye ~ Pretty Flamingo
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Jake Owen Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports STEM

on September 12, 2012
wash your hair with clarifying shampoo, do not condition then comb through and let dry until it's just damp. Spread the dye throughout your hair until it is totally saturated and comb through until it gets a little foamy. Let the dye sit in your hair for 1-2 hours then use a hair dryer to dry the hair while the dye is still in. Rinse out with cool water until the water runs clear, do not shampoo. You should then have shiny, deeply colored hair that will last for at lest 3 weeks. add some of the color to your gentle shampoo and conditioner for a boost.
on February 14, 2013
When I first received this product, I thought there was a mistake in the labeling. The color resembled "Electric Tiger Lily" more than "Pretty Flamingo" and was labeled "Glows Under Black Light". I uploaded a photo of this, but now I see that it is just how the product photographs. Upon opening the jar, you can tell that it is "Pretty Flamingo". I decided to use this product without pre-bleaching (as recommended) to get a coral-pink color. I had medium golden blonde hair and figured the mixing of blonde with pink would result in coral. What ended up happening is a more brownish-pink, but my bleached highlights definitely came out the "Pretty Flamingo" color. I uploaded a second picture of the color right after dyeing my hair. I have since washed my hair once, and the color has faded to the more coral-blonde look I was going for.

Some tips for using this product:
1) Buy more than you think you need - I only bought 2 jars for thick, almost waist-length hair, mixed in conditioner, and ran out before I finished the back part of my head. I ended up having to get another jar to finish the back of my head
2) Mix in conditioner for a lighter color and to make the product cover more area
3) Pre-bleach or pre-lighten if you want that vibrant color - this color still turns out decent without having to

What I did to get that color:
1) Use 3 jars of "Pretty Flamingo" and mix in about 1/2 jar of conditioner
2) Apply to dry hair that was previously washed with just shampoo (I used L'Oreal Paris EverPure since it is vegan). I used gloved hands to apply, not a tint brush
3) Comb hair gently, some hair will come out. My attempt to comb hair until frothy did not work out so well, I don't think I had enough product in the end to make this happen
4) Blow dry hair for ~5 minutes then wrap in plastic bag
5) Let hair soak in color for 3 hours and blow dry every hour
6) Rinse hair in cold water. The water never really turned pink, once again I think I didn't have enough product so all the color was fully absorbed
7) Blow dry hair again and enjoy color
review image review image
on December 11, 2012
it's a bright coraly pink. It's f****ing adorable and I get so many compliment on it. I'll upload a picture later but I absolutely love this color. I had bleached my hair previously and then used lorels lightest blonde to lighten my roots then I washed it out dried it and put in the Manic Panic Pretty Flamingo.I left it in for an hour with a plastic bag over it. Then I took the bag off the last half hour and blow dried it periodically. When I rinsed I shampooed and conditioned and none of the pink came out! :D it's super cute and shipped fast
on February 22, 2014
I used Pretty Flamingo and uploaded photo to customer images to show the result -- it's a close-up with the dye pot and camera included. A skylight is lighting up my hair, making it appear slightly lighter than the dye in the pot, but actually they are identical.

I love this color, but it takes a little bit of work to get a good result, including vigorous combing, heat and at least for my hair, usually two dye-jobs using half the pot of dye each time. I've been using this color for many years--this is how I get a brilliant, long-lasting color.

1. I bleached my hair twice with 40-vol bleach prior to dying, which made it a pale straw color. (My hair is naturally very dark brown.)
2. I rubbed half the contents of the dye pot into my hair, scooping it out of the pot with my fingers (wearing rubber gloves) and massaging it thru the hair shafts until evenly distributed.
3. I combed the dye through my hair, driving the pigment into the hair shafts. I've found this step makes a big difference with the lighter MP colors, especially. Be sure to comb vigorously and thoroughly, using a high-quality comb that won't damage your scalp. (Also be careful where you do this. I go outside so I don't sling dye around where I don't want it.)
4. I got under my hood-style dryer, set the heat to medium-high, and remained there for 30 minutes. At this point, my hair was not dry but the dye was a warm, thick paste and the color was beginning to develop nicely.
5. I combed the dye through my hair again and left it in for another 30 minutes before rinsing.
6. I rinsed with cool water and ended with half a cup of white vinegar in a quart of water, which helps to set the dye. After the vinegar rinse, I rinsed again with plain water.
7. I dried my hair with a hand-held blow dryer, then checked in the mirror and noted -- as expected -- that the dye had not covered perfectly in all spots. And so, using the other half of the dye, I REPEATED THE ABOVE PROCESS ALL OVER AGAIN.

After this second round of dying and combing and heating, the coverage was perfect, and I had driven sufficient pigment into the hair shafts that a brilliant pink-orange shade was achieved.

To keep the color looking good, I wash my hair with clear water and only the smallest amount of shampoo. When the color begins to fade a bit, I re-dye with about one fourth of a pot of dye. Leave it in for about an hour and the color will be vibrant again.
on August 29, 2015
This is indeed fake, just like the review from Meryl says. I ordered Pretty Flamingo awhile ago and never used it. What I received was the weird, orangey-pink color dye in the jar, just as she pictured, with no serial stamp. I could tell immediately when I opened it. The chemical smell was not that of Manic Panic. I've been using Manic Panic for years. The consistency is runnier and thin. The security seal is cheap and hard to remove, unlike MP's. I did a strand test anyway, cuz I wanted to see what the results would be with this. After leaving it sit overnight on a test cutting of my dirty blonde color hair, the result was not even noticeable. If I kind of moved it around in the light it had a creamcicle like tinge to it, but definitely was not Pink Flamingo, which I have used before. The results were completely different.

I suggest ordering from a reputable retailer if you must order online
(Manic Panic's website for instance, or go into a retail shop like Sally's or an alternative lifestyle store/goth/punk store).
It completely bewilders me why they would go to so much trouble faking packaging and dye for a $10 hair dye. The profit would have to be worth the trouble, so you can bet that "dye" is worth pennies, and not vegan. Judging by the smell, I wouldn't put it on my hair at all. It smells like toxic chemicals. There's almost a sting when smelling it.
Don't take the chance!
on July 19, 2015
This shade of Pink is indeed faint, and in my experience, this is lighter than cotton candy pink and I had kept pretty flamingo crime dye in my hair for an eight hour sleep with a shower cap on. I would give it a one star, BUT I did love the color even though I was expecting an (almost) orange tint added to the pink effect. If you're looking for this pale pink, and keep in mind I've bleached my hair to the point it's white without color, go ahead and get it. When I received the jar it was not a knock off, and the color lasts quite a long time. Probably would not buy again but if this helps someone, I'm glad to come back to this blowout color:)
on February 13, 2016
The dye I received was not even close to the color shown on the model on the product page here on Amazon. Pretty Flamingo is more of a light pink- not a bold one.

This is the color my streaks fade to when it is time to dye them again, not the color I want to dye them to!
on November 23, 2015
Fake. I ordered two, was charged and sent only one. I saw the reviews on how this stuff wasn't vibrant at all. Obviously manic panic is not really known for non vibrant colors unless you are using their virgin white toner or pastelizing toner. This is is a scam. I ended up mixing this with hot pink manic panic I bought at Sally's kind of as a way to tone down the hot pink and it couldn't even do that right. Don't waste your money!
on November 14, 2013
This is probably my least favorite manic panic shade that I have tried. It was very unflattering, and faded ridiculously quick. -for which I was actually thankful because I was embarrassed to be seen in public with this color. its a fluorescent orangey pink. would not recommend.
on September 17, 2013
Know that this color comes out a lot lighter than the jar makes it look. It was almost a Salmon color for me after applying it to bleached hair. I liked the effect, but it was just not as vibrant as I expected.