Manu. uses the term "kilowatt per hour" - bogus? Under the section "Product Description - From the Manufacturer", the verbiage (generated by the marketing department probably, not the engineers) says "it will tell you the efficiency of that item by displaying the kilowatt per hour." I am not an engineer and I'm welcoming corrections, but it seems to me that "kilowatt per hour" is a mostly useless measure unless you're talking about the delta (change) in power usage over time. This has nothing to do with "efficiency" and also I'm pretty sure this device does NOT measure it. It measures kilowatt-hours, a useful measure of energy used, which is absolutely not the same thing as "kilowatt per hour."

The gaffe by the marketing people does not detract from the usefulness of the device.
asked by Bulgie on June 17, 2010
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-10 of 11 answers
A
OldAmzonian, perhaps you're the one who's guilty of misinformation. The Kill-A-Watt does indeed calculate power factor. For your information, PF is a trivial calculation for any device that already measures true power, voltage and amps...

KW = V * A * PF
Whetstone Green answered on November 21, 2010
Comment | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Yes, "kilowatt per hour" is incorrect and likely meaningless for this context.
Watt is a measure of power--a rate of energy per time, in joules / second.
A "watt-hour" would be (an average of) 1 watt of power over 3600 seconds, or 3600 joules--a measure of cumulative energy usage.

See also
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watt#Confusion_of_watts.2C_watt-hours.2C_and_watts_per_hour
Brad answered on June 24, 2010
Comment (1) | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Someone help me on this. I plugged my fridge in to this and so far the data is: 62h 16min 3.97kWh

What does this mean? is it time the get a new fridge?

Thanks
Danny G. answered on December 11, 2010
Comments (3) | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Censor, that's an average of 0.064 kW per hour, or 64 watts. That adds up to about 560 kWh per year, which is pretty darn good. According to a spreadsheet on the Energy Star website, the most efficient models have top freezer. The most efficient within that group are estimated to use about 410 to 450 kWh per year (20-21 cf). At roughly $15/year savings (150 kWh x 10 cents), you'd never get a payback, so stick with what you have.

BTW, my relatively new side-by-side model (not the most efficient design) uses 840 kWh/year.
Whetstone Green answered on December 11, 2010
Comment | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
You can more likely improve it by brushing off accumulated dust and lint from the radiator coils in back of or under the fridge, if you haven't done that in a while.
OldAmazonian answered on January 1, 2011

A
Hi The Censor,

I have a simple webpage calculator for a Kill A Watt on my website. You can input the numbers you get, such as above, and get the results. It's located here: http://www.sustainabilitybythesea.org/calculators/kill-a-watt-calculator/

Putting in your numbers and assuming 13 cents per kWh (your mileage may vary) I get 46 kWh a month (or 552 kWh a year) for a total of $72.66 in costs per year. Pretty similar to what Whetstone got.
Bill Vosti answered on August 22, 2012

A
Thank you all for your tips.
Danny G. answered on August 23, 2012

A
Whetstone Green, thanks

I'm surprised this fridge is getting a good reading. It's a top freezer, but I got it in 1994!! I can probably improve it be cleaning the rubber lining on the doors and the grills in the back which haven't been cleaned in years :-)
Danny G. answered on December 11, 2010
Comment | 1 of 2 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Read your electric bill and look for "Kwh".
John OCD-1 answered on March 11, 2014
Comment | 0 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
fight after school
Gene Hugh answered on November 26, 2010
Comment | 0 of 3 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse
‹ Previous   1   2   Next ›

See all questions about this product