Following in the tradition of its popular predecessor, the Manual of Geospatial Science and Technology, Second Edition continues to be the authoritative volume that covers all aspects of the field, both basic and applied, and includes a focus on initiating, planning, and managing GIS projects. This comprehensive resource, which contains contributions from 53 leading experts and professors in the areas of GIS, GPS, and remote sensing, reflects the very latest advances in the technology, applications, and usage of the geospatial sciences in many key disciplines, from natural resource analysis to transportation planning.
Significantly updated and expanded, this reader-friendly manual introduces the fundamentals in mathematics and physics needed to perform area-wide mapping, inventory, data conversion, and analysis. The text maintains a focus on the practical aspects of these technologies and remains the only resource to cover the areas of GIS, GPS, and remote sensing with such breadth and clarity. An expanded index, new and revised figures, a color insert, and an easier to read format are among the many improvements to this edition.
New to the Second Edition:
- Revised chapters reflecting the changes that have occurred in the technology, applications, and usage of geospacial science
- Coverage of GIS applications in automobile navigation and enterprise-wide applications
- A new chapter devoted to basic statistics and least squares solutions
- Expanded international scope that addresses the other Global Navigation Satellite Systems (GNSS), including the Russian Federation system (GLONASS), the Chinese system (COMPASS), and the European space agency system (GALILEO)
- A new chapter covering Light Detection and Ranging (LiDAR)
- A new chapter that addresses privacy issues, legal concerns, and the emerging field of public participation GIS (PPGIS)
- New material on the expanding field of geovisualization
The text presents many real-world applications, including road map navigation using GPS, as well as problems associated with mapping, inventory of land parcels, and data analysis. Complete with helpful references, decision making tools, and many new case studies, this time-saving resource provides the practical understanding required to harness the potential of these dynamic technologies.