Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Blake Shelton Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Outdoor Recreation

on July 6, 2013
This excellent book demystified the process of writing psychiatric nursing care plans. Each chapter covers different disorders by category, has extensive rationales for each nursing diagnoses and tip boxes for therapeutic conversations and assessment guides. These last two features I found especially helpful when anticipating a difficult or resistant patient. This manuel is designed to go with the textbook also by Elizabeth Varcarolis - 'Foundations of Psychiatric Mental Health Nursing' both published by Elsevier, there is also an online component if you need the additional help with study. I found the textbook and this volume to be sufficient and was able to do very well in this difficult rotation in large part because of the extra insights I gained from this book. This book is extensively cross-referenced throughout - it has sections on various therapies utilized for specific disorders, the DSM-IV-TR criteria for various disorders, drugs used and their effects, resources for the nurse, patient and family, copious internet and journal resource material related to the disorder being investigated, and guidelines for limit/goal setting with the patient.
on August 13, 2010
This is good supplemental material for any Psychiatric Mental Health Nursing course or text. It is concise, contains everything you need, and you don't have to drag your book around. I get these little helpers whenever possible for any class. This one has the nursing diagnoses, interventions, and rationales for every condition so you can use it to write your critical thinking papers as well. It also has care planning...happy reading! I bought it at Amazon.com
on July 26, 2013
The Kindle format reads like a novel... only problem this is a textbook not a novel! There is no fast access to the index with a quick alphabetical list to jump to a specific letter. If you use the table of contents to jump to a chapter you still jump to only first page of the chapter and then need to flip and flip pages. You can do a simple search but that takes time and you get results for all entries of the searched word within the book. In my opinion the Kindle app is not adapted to textbook use. I really wanted to like this Kindle version because I can access my books from both my iPad and Android phone. Hopefully Amazon will eventually come out with a Kindle sidekick: the "Kindle for textbooks". For now I'll go back to paper copies. This purchase was a perfect waste of money.
on May 28, 2014
The tables didn't transfer well into the electronic version of this book. All of the interventions and rationales were out of sync, and even though they are numbered, it's just a hassle and time consuming - when there is no extra time during nursing school. Also, some of the tables didn't format correctly, and the words were cut off at the edge of the page. I was kind of forced to buy this, since my college bookstore recently changed hands and they didn't have any of the materials we needed in stock for the start of class.
on June 23, 2015
everything you need to write a psych care plan is in this book ! Nursing diagnosis, interventions, and rationals its a one stop shop for care plans! Must have for your psych rotation of nursing school
on November 2, 2015
This really helped me with my Altered Mental Health clinical. It's small and conveniently fits into my purse, I whipped it out during my free time to look up interventions and there's a section about therapeutic communication, which was nice. Also, in the back there an assessment checklist- yes! I know, super convenient. If you don't like this price look for an earlier edition, it should still have the same content. Good luck!
on May 14, 2015
This book was my lifeline in mental health nursing. I think most nursing students would agree that psych care plans are not fun. With this book, I simply found my patient's illness and followed the book. I did well on my care plans and passed psych with ease. If you have a strict teacher, you might not have the same luck as me, but it worked wonders for me.
on October 27, 2015
This book is good for the price, but keep in mind this is not the newest edition. It still uses the old DSM-IV so, some of the DX are no longer used. Still it has been very useful for understanding psychiatric mental health patients.
on March 22, 2012
I have this book in paperback and have used it for writing nursing care plans. It makes writing nursing care plans a breeze. I just have to flick to the nursing problem and it gives short term and long term goals as well as interventions and rationales for the interventions. I recommend this book to anyone who gets stuck with what to write and how to word care plans so that is covers all care aspects.
on January 28, 2014
This book is a required text by the professor of my class. As it has only been in my possession for a week and a half, I can only attest to the usage which I have done. So far it seems to be a valuable guide to my learning process, but I suppose rating this book at the end of my semester could give a more accurate description of its value.