1,189 Reviews

966 of 1,029 people found the following review helpful
4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but some features won't work on the Kindle Fire
Since the Kindle Fire doesn't have the Maps app like the iPad/iPhone, I downloaded the MapQuest Android app as a substitute. As a mapping app, it's not too shabby, although it obviously requires a 3G connection, which the Fire lacks, for all the features to work. (that's not a slam - I love my Fire).

When MapQuest opens, you have your choice of a roadway map or...
Published on November 16, 2011 by J. Chambers

3.0 out of 5 stars Need to add capability to cache maps for offline use
I installed this program on my Acer A500 (Honeycomb 3.0).
Program works reliably.

The only problem - it works only if you have internet connection. And since my tablet is Wi-Fi only - i can't use this program, as navigation tool. I wish i can cache all map data on the device.
Published on May 6, 2011 by F. Vyacheslav

966 of 1,029 people found the following review helpful
4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but some features won't work on the Kindle Fire, November 16, 2011
This review is from: MapQuest: Maps, GPS & Traffic (App)

When MapQuest opens, you have your choice of a roadway map or a labeled satellite map (similar to the hybrid map in Maps). There are icons representing locations such as hotels, restaurants, post offices, schools, etc. Clicking on one causes all the locations within the map boundaries to be pinpointed. Clicking on one of these pinpoints opens up a box with the name, address, and (sometimes) phone number. The selected route from your location to the location you want is then highlighted in blue. If you have a GPS and 3G connection, a computer voice (not very good, in my opinion) will guide you to the destination. With the Kindle Fire, it serves as a route planner. You have some ability to adjust the route, and you can turn on traffic conditions for major roads to help plan the route.

The maps look pretty good, although you can't zoom in as close as with the Maps app in the iPad/iPhone. The map was up-to-date for my area.

There are a number of other features and settings that can be adjusted. The app even pinpointed my location within about a hundred yards (I have no idea how it does that in a Kindle Fire).

Please note that this app relies on an active wi-fi connection for route planning, and a 3G connection and GPS, as in a smartphone or iPad, to be used for traveling. For the Kindle Fire, it's an acceptable mapping and route planning app.

3.0 out of 5 stars Need to add capability to cache maps for offline use, May 6, 2011
This review is from: MapQuest: Maps, GPS & Traffic (App)
I installed this program on my Acer A500 (Honeycomb 3.0).
Program works reliably.

5.0 out of 5 stars It works, about the same as GoogleMaps., May 14, 2011
This review is from: MapQuest: Maps, GPS & Traffic (App)
It's a fine app, the price is right (free), but doesn't everyone already have GoogleMaps installed? MapQuest doesn't really offer anything different, aside from preloaded locations from several categories, like POST OFFICES, GAS STATIONS, HOTELS, etc., which you can access through the task bar. But you can get that easy enough on GoogleMaps as well.
There is also something called TOUCH POINT here, it hilights the point on the map where you touch, with the ability to give you navigation directions to that point, if prompted. Again, GoogleMaps does the same thing, but in MapQuest this function is annoyingly intrusive, as these points seem to light up almost every time you touch the map to move it or to pinch-to-zoom. In GoogleMaps you need a longer press to activate this function (around a second or so), which is a good thing -- on a small screen I am moving my map all the time, and I don't need these TOUCH POINTS going off all the time.
Each of these two apps has its own quirks, UIs are slightly different, so I guess it comes down to what tickles your personal fancy.
Since I'm so used to GoogleMaps UI, and generally very happy with it, I personally see little need for MapQuest. But if you for some reason don't have GoogleMaps, then I wholeheartedly recommend MapQuest, and I give it about 4 and a half stars (half a point taken away for annoying TOUCH POINTS popping up unnecessarily).
I will keep it on my DroidX for now, just in case, but if I ever need to clean up some of the apps for more memory, this one will go.

p.s. If you are interested in further detailed comparison between these two map applications, check out a great music video for the song "Lazy Sunday" by Lonely Island -- it's all over the Internets )))

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow! Nice, really nice!, November 29, 2011
Thom Bone (Los Angeles, CA USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: MapQuest: Maps, GPS & Traffic (App)
Not as many features as Google maps but it still get the job done. What makes this great though is that it seems to be more accurate then Google Maps and it is only 2MB so it runs fast, rock solid and hasn't locked or crashed on me yet. Wonderful app!

4.0 out of 5 stars wish you didnt need wifi, March 16, 2012
This review is from: MapQuest: Maps, GPS & Traffic (App)
This is awesome except you need wi-fi to download directions. Otherwise its great. I was lost and this app helped me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice for Kindle Fire, November 18, 2011
This review is from: MapQuest: Maps, GPS & Traffic (App)
I like this app especially since the kindle doesn't gave google maps. It works fine and looks good. This one is a keeper especially since it's free!

2.0 out of 5 stars not accurate, December 7, 2012
This review is from: MapQuest: Maps, GPS & Traffic (App)
I don't think mapquest is meant to be for the kindle fire. The kindle fire was unable to find my location, so mapquest didn't really work well. Also, it is very outdated. I put my address on and it couldn't find it eventhough my house is more than four years old. I also put some adresses that I know how to get to and for some the directions were really confusing and a lot more complicated than the route anybody who knows the area uses.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great substitution for google maps! Im pleasantly surprised!, November 28, 2011
This review is from: MapQuest: Maps, GPS & Traffic (App)
Of course, on KINDLE FIRE there's no GPS, so u have to put ur location.. but I always know where I'm at..so not an issue for me!!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Not worth it, August 18, 2012
This review is from: MapQuest: Maps, GPS & Traffic (App)
I wouldn't waste my time with this app I even typed in the address of the local Walmart and it couldn't find it what a waste of time.

1.0 out of 5 stars disappointed, January 25, 2013
This review is from: MapQuest: Maps, GPS & Traffic (App)
I have always used mapquest on my home computer, tried to use it for a trip and it kept rerouting to the point I had no idea what was going on or where I was. Then I tried to use it coming back, first it wouldn't work, then it froze my kindle. horrible app.

ARRAY(0xabe5ed68)