5.0 out of 5 stars Marantz SR7002 Powerful-Great Sound-User Friendly
This is a bit long but I hope reviewers will benefit by my experiences.

Published on January 14, 2009 by Wilee D

2.0 out of 5 stars Receiver was a major disappointment
Published on February 27, 2011 by @myersbradley

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Marantz SR7002 Powerful-Great Sound-User Friendly, January 14, 2009
Wilee D (Wisconsin - USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Marantz SR7002 Surround Receiver (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Electronics)
This is a bit long but I hope reviewers will benefit by my experiences.

Marantz is a name not found at most popular chain type stores, but it is one worth seeking out. I've had Marantz receivers and amplifiers since the 1970s, and that's not because I didn't consider other brands over that time. After research and demoing other brands, I kept coming back to Marantz. I have a Marantz SR7200 surround receiver that has worked flawless since I got it in 2002. But since I recently upgraded to an HD TV, an HD satellite receiver, and a Blu Ray player, I got the itch to upgrade to an HD surround receiver. The SR7200 was working fine, but doesn't have the latest PLIIx, HDMI inputs and outputs, and some of the other high definition sound and video capabilities. So my research began (and I really planned to try another brand this time). I scoured the internet obsessively (as I always do, and did for my TV and Blu Ray player), reading user reviews and professional reviews, and lab tests. I discovered the SR7002 which got very good marks, but another popular brand kept popping up as the recommended choice. It was just under a grand, so I bit the bullet and purchased the receiver. It had all of the latest bells and whistles and was a very good receiver. But for me, the warmth of the Marantz sound and the user friendly set up and menus was just not there. After a few days of use and adjusting, I returned the receiver, spent an extra $130, and walked out with the Marantz SR7002. Very wise choice for me. The SR7002 has a few less bells and whistles of the previous brand I tried, but it certainly has all of what most folks will need. It has plenty of power for my mid to large living room. The set up and menus are straight forward and very user friendly. Just as a test, I compared the quality of video I get when I run the HDMI video signal from my satellite receiver and Blu Ray player direct to the TV, and when I run the HDMI video signal through the SR7002 first, then to the TV. I cannot tell the difference. There is no loss of video quality running through the receiver first. The beauty of that is less cables to use and easier use of switching between functions. And the sound - excellent. For me, there is a warmth and fullness to the Marantz sound that I don't hear with other receivers. I've read the manual a bit more thoroughly now and have tweaked the system slightly the last few weeks and am even more satisfied. The automatic speaker "calibration" system is very simple to use and balances the speakers wonderfully. It calculates the distances each speaker is away from various sitting positions, adjusts volumes, etc. After that I did go in and made some very minor volume adjustments to suit my taste, particularly the sub and the crossover setting to the sub - everyone's speakers and tastes are different. But it's a great way to establish a solid balanced base to make personal adjustments from. The remote is fine too. It is a learning remote, and I've been able to program it to control my satellite receiver, my Blu Ray player, a DVD recorder, a VHS machine, and my TV. Very nice. I will say that I have since gotten a Harmony One universal remote that, after some experience and program tweaking with it, is excellent, and that is what I use. But I still keep the Marantz remote nearby just in case. I really could have gotten by with the Marantz remote just fine and would have been happy, but the Harmony One has other advanced qualities that are quite nice (but that's another review). So after a ton of research and a try out of a recommended brand, Marantz came through again. I'm totally satisfied. The receiver is the heart of any system; so you need to review, research, and try out for yourself; but in my experiences over the years, Marantz has always been a high quality product, and the SR7002 doesn't disappoint. If you want power and high quality sound, in a user friendly system, for just over a grand, this is it.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a TOP NOTCH piece of eqiupment!, August 1, 2010
J. Jacques (Portland, Maine) - See all my reviews
Try to make a long story short. I have been shopping for a new receiver, purchased and returned (1) Yamaha KX-V1065B, (1) Onkyo TX-SR608, and (1) Harman Kardon AVR-2600. I was pretty discouraged that I couldn't be pleased with any of these - saw the Amazon deal/closeout on the Marantz SR7200 - based on reviews about the sound quality I ordered one. I COULD NOT BE HAPPIER with the sound quality. This was replacing a Harman Kardon AVR310 and this Marantz is leaps and bounds above the Harman Kardon in sound quality. As for teh other brands - the Yamaha was fully featured, but the amp seemed very weak and had no low end, the Onkyo was really packed with features, but the amp really only sounded good at the highest volumes, at lower volumes it was really lacking, and the Harman Kardon really sounded tinny/digital which was disappointing.

As for this Marantz, let me start with the smaller list which would be the "cons"
1. The thing is so darn complex you really have to refer to the manual quite often
2. The remote is so darn complex I still haven't really figured it out - it is more cumbersome than helpful at this point.
3. No HDMI pass thru - would be a really nice feature and it looks like they are incorporating this in the "7005" replacement model.

For the positives, WAY too many to list - but here is a start..
1. VERY strong AMP that provides warm, rich sound - closest thing I have heard to an older analog receiver in a new digital based AVR.
2. Looks well built, feels well built, very sleek looking
3. The SOUND QUALITY is outstanding - my wife and I were listening to older DVD concerts, Blu-Ray concerts, and CD's all weekend. The analog inputs are a bit weaker than the digital inputs, but to be expected.
4. Price through amazon, originally 1399, now 599... I would buy two if I could afford it
5. Real multi room setup - not a joke like the Onkyo or Yamaha -this comes iwth a full 2nd remote and I/R repeater setup... and you can feed video to the 2nd room... very nice touch
6. A/B switch - like the old school receivers, one of the only ones I saw that had true A/B speaker setup - very NICE!
7. Audessy setup was great - very neat and very easy - sounds excellent too.
8. Very good match for Klipsch spekaers - I have older Klipsch towers with horn loaded tweeters, and some brands of receiver just aren't a good match - Yamaha was a bad bad combo, Onkyo was only slightly better, with the Marantz it actually sounds crystal crystal clear at ANY volume level and doesn't overpower the horns vs. the bass.

No hesitation to recommend this product. I was originally going to purchase the NR-1601 after much research, but I decided to forgo the 3D capability and HDMI pass thru for way more power and features at the same price point.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent a/v receiver, January 4, 2008
I've just bought this receiver and it's quality is excellent !!! It has a lot of inputs and outputs, many digital (both optical and coaxial audio inputs), a bunch of component, composite, s-vide inputs.
It also has the upscaling feature through HDMI output.
The sound quality is impressive. The user can also program which digital or analog inputs / outputs will be used for each device connected to the system.

Another great feature.....Despite what the Marantz technical supports told me, it works with 3D blu-ray movies and PS3 games. For 3d blu-ray movies, the sound goes mute, but all you have to do is to plug a coaxial digital cable and program the blu-ray to send audio through the coaxial cable. Done !!! You're 3d ready...Works this way with mine!!!

Cons.: Only one: It generates a lot of heat (power consumption of 750W)

5.0 out of 5 stars outstanding a/v receiver with horrible remote., August 11, 2010
just pulled my new marantz 7002 out of the box this morning and i was stoked. i was like a kid with a new toy while i was hooking this thing up. the build quality is top notch. i really looked this baby over good looking for anything i felt was made cheaply and i came up with nothing. in an age where electronics are known to be built poorly marantz stands apart from the pack with the quality of this device.

ok so now ive looked it over and im ready to move on to all the accessories that came packed in the box with it. this is the first av receiver ive seen with so many accessories actually and for a novice user i could see someone getting a little intimidated by it all. connecting all the cords was a breeze, no problems encountered. i connected both an xbox 360 and a ps3 both to the "dvd" input using the component and hdmi respectively. the receiver doesnt have issues even though they are both connected to "dvd" something that ive run into with other receivers.

with everything installed properly i finally deicde to give it a test with some music played from the ps3 hard drive. i am a very critical listener and i tried everything from opera, classic rock and, one of my favorites, a symphonic power metal band, kamelot. EVERYTHING this unit plays sounds fantastic. it truly isnt lacking anything. in comparison to my older harman kardon avr, which has respectable sound quality itself, this marantz receiver is better on all fronts. the music sounded cleaner. the highs were clear and soaring without being harsh, even at higher volumes. i also noticed that the bass had more impact than i was used to, mostly due to the ultra powerful 110 watts per channel this thing produces. keep in mind that marantz is not one of those companies that exaggerates their power outputs like most of the brands youll see in your local best buy. when a marantz receiver says 110w per channel its usually on par with other, more well known, brands 150w per channel.

i chose to bi amp my front tower speakers, the jbl l890's by hooking them up to the back surround speaker terminals on the back. then with a flip of the switch you can double the power to your fronts, providing more power to your front speakers, a must for anyone with large, power hungry towers should consider.

now that ive given this thing a good listen i wanted to look into my new remotes and really sink my teeth into what this unit can do. the remote is horrible. its hard to believe that a quality avr such as this one would come paired with a remote like this one. i read other reviews and saw people talk about the remote being bad but, honestly, i thought they might be overreacting. they werent. the remote comes with its own manual and for good reason, its just difficult to use. with most remotes its fairly obvious what buttons you press to get the desired result from your product, at least thats been my experience. the marantz remote has none of that. after a few minutes of toying with the remote i gave up and just used the knobs on the front of the receiver to do what i needed. the remote will obviously take some time to master, making the remote all but useless to anyone who doesnt read the manual.

all in all i would definitely reccomend this receiver to anyone especially at the current price its going for on amazon. after days of searching the net and reading reviews i just couldnt find a product that could compare to this one for the price. if not for the horrible remote i would give this receiver 5 stars.

Edit: after just a few days of actually owning and using this receiver i have changed my opinion. this is definitely a 5 star item. i still think the remote is confusing but, i got over it and i think you will too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great sound, June 17, 2010
I love this receiver so far. It came packaged well and didnt take me long to hook it up. Of course right now i only have 2 AR318ps speakers hooked to it so far. Once i get the surround speakers that may take longer. But for the speakers being over 10 years old they sound way better with this receiver than the yamaha that it replaced.
The remote is awesome. Its way too simple to program, just download the software and point and shoot (literally) I know some people dont like the rechargeable battery deal, but it has the same battery as a cordless phone would have and they dont seem to die at a very young age. And the remote operates my directv way better than directv's remote. At least the unit picks it up way better now.
Overall, i would certainly recommend this to a friend or anyone else.

5.0 out of 5 stars Marantz SR7002, July 28, 2010
Overall, another trouble-free product from Marantz. I bought the SR7002 to use as a pre/pro with a multi-channel amp in my main system after having my SR8002 receiver for over a year. Both products are great, and even a better deal as of now, as they are being sold out to make room for newer models coming out in the fall of 2010. Currently these models have all the features a casual usuer is likely to need for the next few years.

2.0 out of 5 stars Receiver was a major disappointment, February 27, 2011
I've own this receiver for about 2 years, and that period came to an end because it failed. The service light is blinking 8 times a second so that means I'd have to send it off to a Marantz dealer, and it is not covered under warranty. This is quite a disappointment for me from a quality standpoint. When you pay 1K for a receiver, you expect quality. I obviously didn't get it.

I rated the receiver low for several other reasons 1. I tried 2 of these (sent the first back), and both buzzed while running, making audible vibrations. The only way I could solve this was to purchase "vibrapods", and it looked ridiculous supported by these. 2. The firmware was bugged from day 1, and the Audyssey would clear the settings if you hit an erronious button. The only way to upgrade the firmware is to send it to Marantz. They refuse to make the firmware available for download 3. They are generally priced higher than Denon, but not better than Denon. 4. You cannot set the crossover frequency individually for each speaker. Much cheaper receivers of other brands allow this.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Marantz name means quality, December 5, 2009
Javier Suarez (Bronx, New York United States) - See all my reviews
Just the fact that I only need one cable leading to my HDTV is an excellent selling point. All my cables go into it and only one comes out. Signals from my XBox 360, HD DVD player, Cable, and even computer all are routed through this sleak looking machine. Of course I could have just got a signal splitter to do the same thing, but I need more. Upconversion video and one touch switching is are great features. But still, theres more. Superior sound quality make this receiver an awesome amplifier, and with 7 channels this unit stands with the best. The multi-room capability is the one feature that sold me on this receiver. The A, B, C zones are excellent when im cleaning house to my favorite music or when I watching a game and hearing it in different spaces including my terrace outside. Complaints by my neighbors be damned. I have'nt done much to utilize the second video out yet since I only have one TV, but Im sure that this will be a great advantage when I take it. I like that you can adjust the audio out to conform to your space. The audio calibration is fairly simple and make the speakers sing. True HD, Up conversion, 7.1 surround sound, all together make the 7002 a wonderful system. The only negative aspect would be the amount of heat it creates. It has to be on the shelf on its own with lots of space to clear the excess heat. Maybe I can mount some pc fans to it and make it a true cool receiver.

Although I did not purchase it at Amazon, simply for the price, I know that this site is great for researching products that go prices like these.

5.0 out of 5 stars VERY Good Deal, September 25, 2010
My Dad bought a Marantz as his "big purchase" for himself when he graduated college, 30+ years ago. And now, few brand names carry as much weight with him as does the name "Marantz". The quality of that brushed steel beast is still evident today when you listen to it, the glowing green display, huge, precise dials...

I can't believe the price on this, now $600! It leaves me feeling kind of sad for those who paid the MSRP of $1,300+ for this, well... not that sad :). The sound quality on this amp is AMAZING, even at the default settings (haven't done the full setup yet). I have Monitor Audio Gold series speakers (GS60's) all the way around with a Velodyne 12", and I was never able to hear the GS60's correctly from my other amps (mid to low range ~$300 Yamaha and Sony), but the Marantz is able to deliver extreme clarity from these speakers. The remote included wasn't exactly the one pictured, but it looks better, maybe an updated one? Everything else was as described... excellent amp from an excellent company.

Pros:
- Power, fidelity, HDMI, video and audio pushed through this thing all are of the very best quality, no complaints on fidelity at all
- Remote is powerful, can be programmed with macros, display settings, etc
- Auto-detect for inputs works well, seems to automatically find the best quality source available
- Have not noticed the heat problem for me yet, as it's in a well ventilated area
- I know other amps have this, but "night mode" is great for watching movies with a female at night on the couch, you don't have to keep your finger on the volume the whole time to turn down the loud fight-scenes

Cons:
- Can't bi-amp the center speaker, only the two fronts
- As others have noticed, HDMI switching is a little slow (2-4 seconds), but this may be because I have auto-detect on. The quality is great 1080p though
- Remote and on-screen guide could benefit from a little user-interface design, i.e. they could look better and be a little easier to use

Don't hesitate on this one if you want a great amp and don't need 3-D (what a joke). You might be kicking yourself when Amazon sells out, I've been there before...

4.0 out of 5 stars Marantz SR7002 Surround Receiver, August 30, 2010
This is very good looking, well made receiver. The sound quality is just amazing on both audio stereo and movies. The only minus point is the heat. This unit runs quite warm and needs enough space around to keep it cool.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›