Size: 12 Books|Style: 100 Sheets (College Rule)|Change

VINE VOICEon January 6, 2015
One of my other reviews deals with the excellent New Leaf recycled composition book, which I have found to have the best combination of characteristics to offer a writer, namely, paper quality and rigid covers, with the significant bonus of being 100 percent recycled. Unfortunately, Amazon offers those only as an add-on item with no volume discount. Because I go through these fairly quickly, I chose to buy a box of the offering from TOPS as an economical, albeit less desirable alternative.

Alas, I was crestfallen; these are not the model I remember. I say this because the initial example of this item that I purchased, which was manufactured in Vietnam, had a rigid cover, whereas these notebooks, which are manufactured in Brazil, do not have covers that can be described as "hard." They are floppy, which means I must frequently resort to using them with a clipboard or tabletop. This is an annoying little detail that probably only has significance to a small contingent of nerds like myself, but I'm stuck on the old style of overbuilt, hardcover composition books that hold their shape when held in the hand so you can actually write on them, because when there's something that's worth writing down, why have tools that work against you?

This is not to say they're total junk, though. One significant favorable quality they have is the actual paper inside, which is still nice, smooth, high-quality writing paper that works equally well with ballpoints and gel pens. If you don't mind the floppy cover, then you'll appreciate these.
55 comments|13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 25, 2012
To be fair let me start by saying I may have an obsession with notebooks.

This arrived extremely quickly and were exactly as advertised. They are shipped in a box within a box so there was no external damage to the notebooks. They are clean and efficent and perfect for everything!! I bring one to the gym to record workouts, I use other for taking notes, and some I use as personal journals. The college rule is the best part. I find composition notebooks everywhere but they are all wide ruled. Im not in elementary school and like to think my writing would better fit on smaller linies but thats just the way I like it, uh huh uh huh.

Worth the money, I will buy again when I run out.
on January 17, 2014
The only requirement I have of a composition notebook is for it to have a hard cover. When I hold the bind, the end of the notebook limps. I'm returning this. Hopefully, I found a hardback on amazon or target.
These are NOT hard cover. They are not chipboard covers. They are not heavy-duty covers. They are flexible, paper covers.

The books are useless for my purposes of crafting, which is to artistically design and modify he covers for permanent sign-in books (weddings, visitations, etc.)

Not as advertised. I imagined the reviews were for a former product and that Amazon would be on their game in fixing the error.

Going back on Amazon's dime. Fix your listing Amazon!
on October 30, 2013
These are pretty much all you can expect from a college ruled composition note book.
If I had anything to complain at all about them, it would be that they can't seem to lay flat on a surface without wanting to close on its own. I found I had to "break" them in by laying them flat out face down and placing something heavy on it for a good hour or so.
on May 1, 2016
I write with fountain pens which require a good quality paper so they don’t feather on the page and it can be a hassle to find notebooks without paying premium prices. That being said, every now again I come across a notebook that is fairly priced and has great quality paper that doesn’t feather at all. This notebook is one of those cases. I have been very happy with the paper in it (note: I only have one so I don’t know about the quality control but I plane to buy these for all my classes next semester and will update if anything goes amiss). There is very little to no feathering and minimal ghosting (show-through).

Overall a great notebook and fountain pen friendly.

(Ink in picture is diamine majestic blue).
review image review image
on October 26, 2014
I write with a fountain pen, so my paper needs are a little unique. That said, I'm also not made of money, so the likes of those fancy and expensive journals are not for me.

I had read online that TOPS composition books that are made of paper *made in Brazil* will take fountain pen ink like a champ, so I asked here on Amazon if they were indeed made in Brazil and several replies (thanks, gang!) indicated that they were--yay!

I can confirm that these comp books do well with my inks (Noodler's Ottoman Azure, Noodler's Baystate Blue, Noodler's Black, and Pilot Blue) in fine or extra fine nib pens.

Very happy with these (I bought a 12ct)--should be set for a couple of years! :)
on May 27, 2016
For the price, they do what they are supposed to. I used them with Papermate's colored pens, so no bleedthrough. This box got me through my undergrad degree. They're not fancy; they're cheap, reliable notebooks.
on June 29, 2014
These composition books arrived in a timely fashion and well packed. Not flimsy like ones I had purchased in the past, but exactly like the ones we used in school. Cover is thick enough to be sturdy so it won't get damaged easily.
on June 23, 2015
The discription said hard cover but the products that arrived had a soft cover. However, the cover was firm enough for me to work with as I am covering with cardstock so this made it sturdier. Unfortunate that they were not hard covers but still enjoying the product.