Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now DOTD

Format: PaperbackChange

His muse was Bella. He celebrated every anniversary of his wedding with a picture in which he and her appeared.

"The inner world is perhaps, more real than the visible world.", affirmed once.

Almost all his work have consisted in love pictures, sinuous fantasies that seemed to disorient the spectator, where birds, quadrupeds and fishes join to a Ode to Joy. His chosen colors acquire vivid tunes of the rainbow; with them variegates details such tress curdled with exotic flowers, a horse that plays a violin, hen' s eggs inside a gold' s nestle, or a cow that jumps on the ceiling of a house.

You will also see, the his famous etched plates to illustrate the Bible as well as his famous pictorial motive on the roof of Paris Opera.

This detailed and splendid biography has everything you request. "The three candles" has always been one of my favorites works of this notable artist.

It' s pleasantly illustrated with abundant information and wonderful reproductions. Go for it without dilation.
on March 19, 2011
If you were only going to buy one book on Chagall (a brief, affordable version) this is it. It covers enough of the artist's life, with good examples of his work and it's very readable for the novice as well as informative for even art historians (with plenty of good cross-referencing)... It does site Chagall's autobiography from 1922 - so there's some insight into Marc's subconscious and explanations for his use of certain imagery in his paintings. This was my first purchase of a book from this series and I will purchase more of them - which feature other artists...
on May 11, 2013
I know and love the work of Marc Chagall. This is a poor representation of his work and life, but most importantly the book is very small. It was impossible to tell this from the product advertisement. I have been an Amazon customer for many years and have always been happy with my purchases but this is most certainly a rather expensive exception.
11 comment6 of 7 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 13, 2012
The Marc Chagall book is excellent. It has great photos of his most famous paintings, and is very reasonably priced for those of us on a budget!
on April 4, 2014
Chagall is given to us in this book the way I have always thought he should be. When an artist can sing, sum up, let our eyes see what his heart knows in its rhythm, he gives us himself and more than himself.....the author lets me rejoice in that.
MaryTruesdell
on March 22, 2014
Very glad I bought this. I don't always understand Chagall, but I really relate to what seems to be his playful and romantic spirit and I appreciate having these pictures to study and copy in my art class.
on July 16, 2014
Of course I'm not finished with this book; you don't 'finish' books like this; you go back to them. It's a fine, informative book on Chagall who is one of my favorites.
on April 17, 2013
Good selection of paintings and chronology at a reasonable price. Comfortable to hold, not heavy, easy to use as a study.
on February 25, 2014
This is a good book if you want something smaller. Nice sampling of his work, and plenty of color pics.
on December 6, 2014
This is really a good book as it covers all I wanted to know. It is well written!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!