5.0 out of 5 stars 5 star Weights, 2-3 star bar
Published 15 months ago by Cmodman

2.0 out of 5 stars Don't Bother With This Waste of Money
At any rate, from my experience, the 30 lb bar seems to be made of a steel aluminum alloy that doesn't seem as heavy duty as the ones I've used at gyms but it serves my purposes perfectly for my home gym. I've loaded it up with the 270 lbs of weight and never felt like the bar was unstable or on the cusp of buckling at any point.

The major problem that I have...
Published on April 25, 2012 by O. Maloney

2.0 out of 5 stars Don't Bother With This Waste of Money, April 25, 2012
This review is from: Marcy VB300 300-Pound Vinyl Weight Set (Sports)

The major problem that I have with this set are the bar collars. They do not clasp as tightly as I would like and are shifted by even a single 35 lb plate. As you might imagine, under heavier loads, this can prove to be problematic. Confidence is an enormous part of weight lifting and, if you aren't confident in the ability of your bar collars to control the weight, you're less likely to risk heavier weights. If I'm experiencing instability with "only" 300 lbs, how will the collars respond when I eventually add loads of 400 pounds and up?

I should add that the weights have yet to fall off the bar or even come close to doing so while I am mid-set. However, the loads shift significantly enough to give me pause and the need to readjust them after every...single...set is quite tedious.

UPDATE
The bar bent after a couple of weeks of use with the 300 lb set that came with it. This product is a complete waste of money. You will be better served saving up a bit longer and getting yourself a decent weight set. I was ignorant about how to purchase a weight set and that really cost me here. You get what you pay for. In this case,junk.

The only reason it gets two stars is that it's cheap junk rather than expensive junk.

UPDATE 2
I dropped a plate and it burst like a water balloon. Please be aware that these plates are wrapped concrete. Ugh!

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 star Weights, 2-3 star bar, April 24, 2013
This review is from: Marcy VB300 300-Pound Vinyl Weight Set (Sports)
I can't give this Marcy VB300 a 2 star out of conscious due to the fact, the weight plates themselves are actually the star of the show. They look great, feel great (check out pics I added), and for the price, it's worth 10-fold for just the plates a lone. I did not buy this with the intention to have an overall package for under $200 of 300 pounds weights and an amazing bar, I knew it would be flawed. Hence the bar in question. The bar is at best 3-stars, more reasonably, 2 stars. It's pretty flimsy, it is not black, its a slate steel, it came in damaged on one end so it was difficult to put the collars on, and pretty scary for a few seconds when loading plates. It does however feel like it could handle the weight, I don't see myself hitting the 300 mark any time soon, but I am pretty sure once I hit the 200's for certain exercises, I'll need to upgrade. So here's the break down.

Pros
-----
The weight plates are awesome, and for the price, I do not think you'll find a better set of olympic plates for 300 pounds

Cons
-----
The bar is the black sheep of this order, they should have not even wasted their time including it, or better yet, invest in a better bar with this package and charge $200 and it would have been perfect

Summary
For the beginner or even intermediate exerciser looking to get a good olympic package, unless your training for tournaments, this is probably the only olympic set you'll need for a long time. For me, my goals are just to get in healthy shape, gain some definition and lose fat, I'm not looking to win no strong man contest, and don't see the benefits with pushing 300 pound bench press in my weekly routines. But toss the bar as soon as you get it, or use it until you hit upper 100's to past 200. Your better off investing in a decent 45lb olympic bar

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product but not at these prices, May 12, 2012
This review is from: Marcy VB300 300-Pound Vinyl Weight Set (Sports)
DO NOT buy this item if you see it listed above for 269.00 or even 150.00. Shop around. A popular Mart type store has these for 112.00. I bought mine for 69.99 (price still good as of this date) from a popular Spots & Outdoors superstore. That stores normal price is 89.00 Some of the above sellers are really ripping people off Big Time. A company above offers this for 94.00 BUT they ask for 169.00 for shipping! You can get this product from the Mart store or the Sports & Outdoors superstore in your town locally without having to pay high shipping needlessly.

This product is awesome for the price I paid, $69.99. I agree with the reviewer above that the collars could have been a little heavier and tighter but I also have had no problems with them. You can get better to replace them for as little as 10 dollars if you shop around. The plates may not actually be as heavy as stated. If you don't plan to lift more than 280 lbs this product will work nicely. I have yet to confirm this but other reviews I have read as well as the folks who work at that sports and outdoors superstore say the plates feel a little lighter than iron plates. If you get this at a good price, a few pounds lost collectively is not a major problem. You can always buy a few iron plates and add to the weight if needed. And lets face it.. if your deadlifting or squatting 300 lbs you really need better collars and perhaps a better bar. This bar is 16 lbs and can handle 300 lbs. 300 lbs is the stated Max Weight this bar is rated for according to the paperwork, so you cannot add more weight than 300 lbs. I suggest at this point you purchase a better bar just to be safe and continuing to progress or buy a 500 lbs Olympic set. Over all if you buy this for a good price, it will be well worth it. Impex the company who makes Marcy products has a 2 year warranty. That's a great deal and it gives any new bodybuilder/weightlifter time to grow and save up for a professional quality set.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great item to get big!!! Awesome seller!!!, September 28, 2013
This review is from: Marcy VB300 300-Pound Vinyl Weight Set (Sports)
Perfect for home training I use it at 165 and it holds perfect. Seller was great in helping me out with an issue I had. The shipping company bent the bar before I received it, I contacted Crystal and in less than a week received a new bar. Awesome item great seller would recommend to anyone either looking to get big quick or keeping up form!

Rate and Discover Movies