Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Mari Winsor Slimming Pilates Kit
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it The Pop Ups Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on September 8, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I think I've at some point owned virtually every form of home workout equipment, particularly if it's been featured on an infomercial (my Tony Little Gazelle and Ab Lounge are collecting dust behind me even as I write this.) Here's the ups and downs of the kit for me:

- If you don't like a lot of jumping around and lots of cardio work, but do like some variety to your routine these Pilates routines might be for you.
4 DVD's of various routines targeting various body areas and a 30-day plan that suggests which routines to do each day (including "rest" days) give the variety, even if many of the actual exercises seem like just variations of the same ones using your equipment slightly differently.

Pilates being pilates, which focuses on stretching, balance, toning and slow muscle-controlled movements, most of the routines have you laying down doing slow resistance moves, often with your head up. If you have a bad back or crunches typically bother your back than these routines are probably not for you.

- The exercises, for the most part, are doable by anyone - but, are probably best for those that have taken at least an intro pilates and/or yoga class at the gym and has good flexibility. You're particularly going to like them if you have used Mari Winsor Pilates DVD's without the equipment before.

The routines always have one of the 0% fat demonstrators doing a modified version of them for beginners, there is a pamphlet and poster with instructions about doing some of the exercises correctly to get the most from them, and there's a bonus feature on all of the DVD's demonstrating ten of the most popular moves. Still, since pilates focuses so much on the importance of how you are doing the exercise to get the most benefit from them, being given a little more grounding in it on the DVD would be helpful. Some of the exercises are more advanced, and I occassionally wished for an instructor telling me if I was doing one correctly. On the other hand, for someone who knows pilates, this is a great affordable option for home workout.

TIP: Google "Mari Winsor Pilates" and watch one of the routines available on-line from one of her previous DVD's. These are pretty much the same exercises as in this kit - just now she's incorporated the equipment. Try that routine, if you think you would do that one frequently - than it's likely you'll do this one frequently. If not, it's not for you.

- The routines did give my muscles a work out.
I always judge home exercise equipment by whether it was easy enough for me to do, enjoyed it enough to want to do it again, and whether I felt I got a benefit from it. Yes, yes and my muscles ached the next day to prove it was working. It's not one I want to use everyday despite the variety it offers, but I'd add it to a staple of other type of exercise.

- The door hook can be an issue
The Cardio routine requires you to have a door that you can hook the gear into while watching the routine on the DVD. Good luck with that. There's a whole door poster with exercises you can do with the door attachment, as well. It's a little better. But, again, this seems best for folks that already are familiar with pilates moves and want to do them at home.

- They could give a little more direction in the DVD on how to put together the equipment for each routine.
The equipment, which is decent quality, comes in multiple pieces that get you put together in a specific way for each routine. There's a diagram in the back of the pamphlet to help. But, I always spent the first 10 minutes of each routine trying to put the piece together correctly, then much of the routine itself trying to figure out if I was using the equipment the same way they were. This gets easier as you do the routines more often.

- Definitely for toning, balance and sculpting - but slimming and weight loss?
The infomercial promises you can lose 10 inches in two weeks. The equipment and "resistance" is what is supposed to make this one a more "Slimming" version than other types of pilates. But, the reality is that promise is based just like most infomercials on combining exercise and a healthy diet. The kit includes a "7-day fast-start diet" (low calorie, low fat, low carbs) and a "healthy eating guide" which actually do include some useful info and recipes that even without the exercise will have you shedding the inches. Still, just like doing a bunch of sit ups can help you shrink inches down, these routines can help - but not that much if you're not also dieting.

BOTTOM LINE: The value of this equipment always comes down to "How often will I actually use it?" and "Will it actually help?". I think you'll be most inclined to want to stick with this one and use this often if you already have experience with pilates and think it would be great to have a home version (this is a great value for that!), have used Mari Winsor pilates DVD's before and liked them (same exercises and routines now incorporating "slimming" equipment and transition moves), or generally like low-impact, yoga/weight training routines. And, yes, just in the week I've used it I would say it works as well as more expensive gym classes at toning and tightening your muscles.
on April 13, 2012
I LOVED this product when it first arrived. It's fun, the videos are great and not annoying, it felt like a great workout and I wasn't getting bored.

Within 6 weeks of using it 2-3 times/week one of the ends of the pole snapped off where you screw it in for changing where the stretchy bands link up. I had it attached to the doorjamb as per one of the set-ups, and it just snapped and left me to fall back onto the floor. I'm glad it was a sitting position move, so I didn't have far to go...

I didn't bother to contact the manufacturer as I didn't feel it was worth my time considering the purchase price. Even if they offered to pay shipping both ways and provide a new pole free of charge, I would not accept as I'm sure it would be the same type of construction and materials. I am leaning more toward calisthenics now, but if I do ever get to really missing this workout, I'll maybe build m own pole with pipe from the hardware store which I know won't just snap off on the ends with ~50lbs of resistance.

All that being said, it was great while it lasted and worth the money even if you only get to use it for a couple of months. Even with the main tool broken, I still have a couple of hand weights out of it and videos to watch that I can brainstorm ways to perform without the exact same tools.
VINE VOICEon September 12, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
So my primary form of exercise is running - but I was looking for something I could do indoors in cases of inclement weather. I've done some Pilates - the very basic moves - and I've tried a couple of different DVDs. This kit appealed to me because it seemed like a full package - several DVDs when I needed instruction and a full workout - and equipment for when I wanted to add just a few specific exercises while watching TV.

I've had the kit for almost a month now...and though I can't comment on the rapid weight loss plan aspect of it (I am just working on toning and maintaining my weight) - I can say that this kit did give me what I was looking for.

I must admit that I tried to use the equipment, "The Accelerator" before watching any of the DVDs - and I was stumped. (Please note: The Safety/User Instructions SPECIFCALLY tell the user to watch the DVDs carefully for correct exercise usage. I must have been channeling my inner "man who won't ask for directions".)

So when I finally started working out to the DVDs (I did the "SuperFast BODY BLAST" and the "Cardio Sculpt") - I was quickly able to figure out how to use The Accelerator and quickly figured out that these exercises were TOUGH.

I am in pretty good shape but haven't done much ab work for a while - and I had to sit some of the exercises out. Long term - I think they will be great - but as a relative Pilates newbie - they were too much for me.

I think I'll use the equipment alone more than I will workout with the DVDs - the booklet and chart of moves will be very helpful as I try to add some more stretching and toning moves to by routine. All in all - I think this is a pretty complete workout kit and I am glad I chose it.

(Big Note: Because I have small children - I would say to ALL parents who purchase this - when you're finished with the equipment - put it out of reach. Though it didn't happen in our house - I can see that the elastic cord and weighted bar could result in some major injuries if kids pull the cord and release it - hitting themselves or someone else.)

Last thing I would say is that the equipment does seem pretty well made and should last for quite a while. I will be interested to look at other reviews to see what people who try this as a full weight loss program say about it.
on March 10, 2013
Very, cheap construction of the bar in the Mari Winsor Slimming Pilates Kit. Amazon only warranties for 30 days and Marie Winsor won't honnor it if you buy it through Amazon. Both keep telling me the other should cover it. I liked the workout so I bought another kit to replace the bar after the first one broke. Now I have 2 broken bars. You can't do the workout with out the bar.
on November 26, 2012
I loved this video/weighted bar pilates workout, until 2 weeks into my working out, the accelerator bar broke. One of the male ends broke off in the female end, and I cannot get it out. Now I cannot do most of the workouts with the bar. I am 5'4" and 135 pounds, and fairly new to working out. I do not think I have super-human strength that could break the bar unless it is a piece of crap. I may just buck up and buy a new kit, because I really liked the results I was seeing in just 2 weeks.
on October 20, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Easy to use and a pretty good workout.

I do a lot of cardio and I found these are a great addition to my workout routine. I was expecting the workouts to be really simple, but they can actually give you a real workout! I like these a lot!

The kit does have a lot of pieces so you'll have to find a dedicated spot for them, or put them in a box to keep it all together. Some assembly required EVERY TIME you decide to do a different workout because each piece is for a different workout. It can be a little annoying.

Also this thing is black and red velvet and looks like it belongs under the bed. I'm just sayin'
VINE VOICEon February 20, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
My sister-in-law is a Mari Winsor fan and completely changed her body a few years ago using her DVDs. She has stopped practicing as often and was getting frustrated by her weight gain. When I saw this new Mari product I thought of her for Christmas. She has totally recommitted to pilates with the help of this kit. The transformation in her body has been really impressive. I have to order another one for myself!
on May 30, 2013
I was working out. (I do yoga with my baby, so she was close) and it....BROKE. It completely snapped and the objects went flying in the air. It's not very good quality. My workout wasn't even that intense.
on May 11, 2010
I'm a gym rat and quite fit, but this system challenged me. I've written a full review on my website that you can read here: [...]

In a nutshell, this is a good workout and I recommend it. It might be quite challenging if you're not used to working out. It will be challenging if you've never done Pilates before. But, it allows you to proceed at your own pace and the moves are definitely beneficial to building a strong core.
VINE VOICEon April 28, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I first became interested in Pilates about 10 years ago. I even went out and purchased one of those fancy Pilates Machines. While the Pilates Machine can be effective, it took up a lot of space and I really didn't have room for it. When I saw this Slimming Pilates Kit, I was excited. You can basically incorporate the same exercises that you can do on a Pilates Machine without taking up space and it is also portable so you have no excuse not to be doing something while traveling. Pilates is a great workout that really focuses on your core. These resistance bands are great because they tone your muscles as you work which is really important for long term weight loss. Now, are you going to lose massive amounts of weight right off the bat with this kit? Proabably not, unless you follow a really strict diet. I think this kit is more for long term effects and if you continue to use it for about 2 months or so you will see results in terms of muscle definition and probably lose some size. I have noticed that my clothes are a little baggier and I definately see some definition. I highly recommend for a great portable workout. Plus, everyone could use help in strengthening their core. The only downside is that it does take a little time to set up the bands for the exercises - but it's worth it.

See 1 answered question