Professional restaurant supplies Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon The Jayhawks Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer bschs2 bschs2 bschs2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now May4th

on October 19, 2008
I bought this receptacle to mount to my SV650 to power a gps that I wanted to use. I was looking for a marine grade one and this is what I found. The locking function works with other plugs but without the water tight seal, which is fine with me as I will not be running my GPS in the rain. The cap is the other thing that was a draw for me. I wanted to keep the inside dry and free from dust and other things when not in use and it works well. Install was a snap, and the included bevel is nice, the whole unit stays put even with all the vibration. Overall a great buy and it delivers as advertised.
on May 10, 2011
I wanted to put a weatherproof 12 volt outlet on the outside of my little pop-up trailer but reviews on line were bad-mouthing the "spin-offs" of this little receptacle. This one is genuine. It's well made,& it arived a day sooner than expected. Some people have said that the sun made the cap get loose pretty quick. I live in the desert & my trailer has the receptacle on the sunny side where I keep it. I found that the caps on the Butane cannister for my back pack stove will push inside the weather cap & it tightens it so it CAN'T fall out. It's well made & instructions are simple. The mfgr. recommends using it in conjunction with their twist-in plugs but I didn't want to have to change the plugs on my 12 volt stuff. Vibration is not a problem with my activity so the regular plugs work fine.

May 2013 up-date. I wound up putting their companion twist-in plug on my solar charger.I found that just a little "bump" would sometimes cause my little solar charger to break connection. The plug installation was a snap & now it makes a more reliable connection.
I still give this a 5 star rating.
on May 4, 2013
There's not all that much to a plug like this, but this is a quality unit. My only gripe is that the threaded retainer ring that you screw on from the back side of the panel only has threads on opposite sides of the ring, not all the way around, and there's two flat sides on the plug. This allows you to align the threads of the ring with the flats of the body and slide it all the way on, then rotate up to 180 degrees to lock it on. Unfortunately the limited threads on the ring, and the fact that when it gets 180 from where you started it releases means getting it tight and locked in securely isn't easy, nor secure. I installed three and one already popped loose. I'll probably either find a threaded ring that fits, or add a bit of glue to keep it in place, but it's a sore spot in an otherwise good product. The extra cover they provide that helps hold it in place is nice, IF you have room and want the squared off cover rather than the clean round look without it. Clearly marked + and - on the terminals is a nice touch. The weatherproof cap should stay in place nicely, and seal well, without the spring loaded hinge of some other varieties. No drain in side has me concerned if water does get in, it won't have anywhere to go, but that's easily remedied.
on December 16, 2012
This socket is identical to the lower cost sockets available on Amazon, except it has Marinco on the cap. We received both and they are the same. Not worth over 3X the cost for the name.
on May 2, 2015
With the matching right-angle mounting bracket and Add-a-Circuit fuse tap I have accessory power to the cargo area of my Nissan NV2500 van. The socket grips the plug tightly; the plug doesn't fall out while I'm driving yet I can remove it without using my superpowers.
review image
on February 1, 2015
These are great because if you get the matching Marinco plug they lock together and you have to twist them to get them apart. Maintaining connectivity of my 12 volt freezer was an issue with the stock plug. It would disconnect if bumped, but the Marinco products solved my problem.
on May 31, 2014
Works as it should. Finicky with certain USB plugs but when you find one that fits it works great. Installed only for a month. I'll check back in on its ability to withstand the saltwater environment.
on March 11, 2014
Got this to install in my rear cargo area of my SUV. Seems a little cheap (all plastic) and the retaining ring is nylon and feels if it might strip when you tighten it. However, seems to work correctly.
on January 14, 2013
This is a high quality 12v power outlet. I've paid as low as nine and as high as fifteen bucks for these and have installed several of them. The use of the faceplate is optional. The plastic slip nut that tightens from the back has 2 grip wings that can be ground away if additional side clearance is needed for installation. If you have a serious application, they make a special twist-lock plug to use with it, but it works fine with standard plugs on cell chargers, GPSs, etc.

No weaknesses that I've found.
on December 23, 2010
Installed in July '09 on the bow of my microskiff. Used weekly since them. Didn't even remove the plug from this receptacle after each trip and yet in just over a year the entire back section with the electrical connections separated itself from the body.

At that point most of its functionality was rendered useless. I rigged it back together with the male plug but to secure it I had to wrap it with electrical thereby negating its real function - the ability to remove the plug quickly from the receptacle if you had a problem or to check the connectivity for corrosion (we fish salt only).

Ours also came with a right angle bracket to allow mounting to a horizontal surface (unit hung down behind).
I didn't really like the way the locking plug mated with the receptacle - the alignment point isn't that easy to see. To improve it I colored the top of the plug so I could easily tell which way was up.

All in all very dissapointed with this product - I've had other Marinco shore power pigtails and receptacles and they have lasted. The 24 V version of this product looks a lot stouter and might be a better solution even for 12 systems if you have the extra space as it appears larger.

However I'm done with Marinco. I purchased some 10 gauge fully insulated spade terminals from McMaster and will create my own quick disconnect using those, some large diameter heat shrink and CorrosionX.

Stay away from this receptacle and plug set if you are an active fisherman in a salt water environment. It is a short term solution and a throw away once it breaks.

See 1 answered question