4.0 out of 5 stars nice aquarium light, worth the price
I recently bought this LED aquarium light to replace an incandescent lamp that I had, whose expensive bulbs (about $14 each) kept burning out every few months.

Published on July 13, 2011 by skye

1.0 out of 5 stars Got wet, rusted connection
I got this light with a 30 gallon kit and after 8 months the power connection rusted and the whole thing quit working. Sealing the area where the plug goes into the black case may avert this problem.
Published on December 31, 2011 by Bongo

4.0 out of 5 stars nice aquarium light, worth the price, July 13, 2011
This review is from: Marineland LED Aquarium Light, 11-Inch (Misc.)

This Marineland LED 11-inch Aquarium Light is so far so good. I have a 29-gallon tank that's 30" long, and this 11-inch lamp really does do a good job lighting up the whole tank, just as it claims on the package ("for aquariums up to 30 inches long"). This is great news, because I didn't want to spend more money for a lamp that runs the entire length of the aquarium.

The light really does look natural, and brings out the colors on both my fish and my artificial plants. From what I understand, however, this lamp does not provide the right light waves for planted aquariums, so don't get it if you have live plants.

The lamp also has a "night mode"...it's a smaller amount of light (which happens to be blue) which looks cool at night...but if you choose to use this, you'll have to manually switch it every night (and back to day mode every morning). The lamp does not automatically switch between day and night modes. So, needless to say, the night mode is sort of useless for that reason. I always have the day mode turned on, and have plugged the lamp into my own timer so that the fish can have darkness at night.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantatsic replacement for Fluval Edge LED, November 5, 2012
This review is from: Marineland LED Aquarium Light, 11-Inch (Misc.)
I have the 6 gallon Fluval Edge "Glass Cube" looking fish tank on my computer desk. Because I didn't like that "shimmery" effect to the Fluval Edge's led lights, I would try to keep the water level above the level of the outer plastic casing for the built in LED light bar. Well, I apparently over filled my tank and water got inside the light, ruining most of the led's. Since it's apparently nearly impossible to order parts for the Fluval Edge via the Hagen website, and the local aquarium stores were not much help, I decided to try this product out as a replacement...(I was tired of an almost totally dark tank!

I must say, I am more than impressed with the job this little unit does. It is at least as bright as my old light was. Since it is shining through the glass on top of the tank rather than being suspended above the water, there is no danger of shorting this one out. I was concerned that the unit would cover too much of the glass on top of the tank, but it really doesn't seem to be a big deal...it still looks great! The "night mode" is pretty cool also, though I'm not sure how much I will use that. Also, the sliding switch is WAY easier to use than the original light switch was, and I don't have to remove the top cover to use the switch. Because this light has little rubber feet on the bottom, you can tilt it at an angle against the top cover of the Edge's tank and it will stay that way.

I will try to upload a few images of what this light looks like on my Fluval Edge when I complete this review.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Lighting, January 11, 2012
This review is from: Marineland LED Aquarium Light, 11-Inch (Misc.)
I have 3, soon to be 6, two-and-a-half gallon aquariums in which I have my Male Bettas. This light is PERFECT for that size tank. The light would not be bright enough for anything over 5 gallons. If you are a Betta lover and enjoy collecting Bettas, don't hesitate to use this for their single tanks!

1.0 out of 5 stars Got wet, rusted connection, December 31, 2011

4.0 out of 5 stars Actually, it WILL grow plants!, June 21, 2012
This review is from: Marineland LED Aquarium Light, 11-Inch (Misc.)
I bought the Marineland 20 gallon high aquarium kit, mainly because I was in a hurry to get my daughter a birthday present and I knew she wanted a blue light so she could see her glofish glow (we were upgrading from her old ten gallon). I didn't stop to consider at first whether this light would keep our plants alive. Once I got it all set up, I was concerned that it wasn't bright enough, even for my low light plants. I shouldn't have worried--it WILL grow things like java moss, anubias, crypts, aponogeton bulbs, onion bulbs, moss balls, and maybe even some other things that we're experimenting with now (wisteria and hairgrass). With DIY co2 the growth isn't even what I would call slow. I have switched the hood that came with the kit to a glass canopy, and I plan on buying a second one of these lights to run at the same time. Very nice!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Performer for the Price, January 4, 2014
This review is from: Marineland LED Aquarium Light, 11-Inch (Misc.)
This is a good light for those who keep low-light plants (plants that can live under low light levels) in a small tank. To be more precise, examples of low-light plants are the various anubias, Java moss, and ferns. And a small tank that this light can service properly would be somewhere in the dimensions of a 5.5 gallon standard rectangular tank of approximately 16" of width. It is hard to be precise since many factors affect the amount of light that will actually reach the bottom.

In my own 5.5 gallon tank, this light did not produce enough light for my Moneywort and Dwarf Hairgrass. It was also not enough to light the whole tank. There were plenty of dark areas near the corners. So, I upgraded to a more powerful, and more expensive, light fixture. However, there are situations in which this Marineland fixture can excel at, as I have outlined above.

I cannot fault this light for not meeting my needs. I should have known that to grow light-loving plants, a small inexpensive fixture such as this would not be up to the task. And it was probably never meant to be able to do that. What this light can do, what it was designed to do, is to provide illumination for those situations in which the tank may not have live plants. And if the tank in use did have plants, it will be of the low-light requirement variety. For those nano and betta tanks with plastic plants, this light would be ideal.

The light can operate in two modes. White LEDs and Blue LEDs together. Or Blue LEDs only. There is a small slide switch on top to toggle between the two modes as well "Off". I am not certain of the color temperature of the LEDs. They appear to be between 5000K and 7000K. The lights are not shielded. You will definitely need to put something between this and the water. A glass canopy would be the best option for you. There are four rubber feet that you can use for the bottom of the unit included in the package.

I can recommend this light to you if your needs are modest. No plants, or low-light plants, combined with a small tank. This may also work on a small refugium, but may not be able to give you the rate of plant growth that you need for the refugium to do its job efficiently. If you supplement with CO2, this is not the light for you.

So, what attracted your humble reviewer to this light? You guessed it! The low price. And the Marineland brand name. This company has a history of producing really good products. Their Emperor power filters are top-notch performers. And their carbon is almost as long-lasting as the Seachem brand, for a much lower purchase price. I took a chance on this fixture, and it was my first LED light. It is a very good buy and a very good product for the right situation.

When the light was unable to cover the entire tank with light, I knew I should have bought more light. It may have to do with the angle of the LEDs. So, I took it off and put back my Coralife Mini-Might. I even ran them together, side by side for a while. But the Coralife was producing a lot of heat. At that point, I replaced them with a Finnex Fugeray Plant+.

I recommend this light for those with modest lighting needs. It is well-engineered, just like the other Marineland products that I have owned previously. Currently, I am using this fixture for its blue led mode. I have set it on a timer, so that when the more powerful Finnex shuts off for the night, this one turns on its blue leds for the evening hours. Perhaps there is a benefit to the plants when there is a transition from bright light to complete darkness in between. I do not know this for a fact, but perhaps it's just an excuse to turn on the blue lights and watch the lone shrimp going about its nightly business at the bottom of the tank.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Low Energy Light, September 18, 2011
This review is from: Marineland LED Aquarium Light, 11-Inch (Misc.)
A perfect fit for our 10 gallon hex. The light is like daylight and there's a blue light too. The switch design for going between the two light types and off could use some improvement, but otherwise it was just what we were looking for.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does a Great Job, May 1, 2013
This review is from: Marineland LED Aquarium Light, 11-Inch (Misc.)
I now have three of these little lights. One on a 29gal, and two on a 55gal (freshwater) and they work very well. Ample light for live plants and the fish seem to like the moonlight at night. Are they as good as the more expensive ones? No, they don't put out as much light but if you're looking for an economical LED light bar where you don't require a high lighting system this will do the job well.

5.0 out of 5 stars good, cheap lighting for a non-planted tank, September 19, 2013
This review is from: Marineland LED Aquarium Light, 11-Inch (Misc.)
i got two of these lights as part of a kit from a local pet store well over a year ago. they provide good lighting for my 55-gallon tank, and the 3-way switch (white, off, blue) is about as simple to use as can be. they don't provide enough light energy to grow plants, but they are super efficient and don't add nearly as much bulk to your tank hood as fluorescent bulbs.

recently, one of the lights began to fail. when you switched it to either setting, it would blink about once per second, but would not come on completely. i thought the light was going out, but it turns out the power adapter was the culprit. rather than buy an entire new light, i found a replacement for the adapter here: AC Power Adapter 120V, 240V / 12V-1A / 5.5mm-2.1mm. the new adapter works just fine, and it only cost about $5.

i definitely recommend these lights for your setup. if you want to upgrade your hood to one that is made specifically for these lights, look at the following product: Marineland LED Aquarium Hood. depending on your tank size, these hoods come in different dimensions as well.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't waste your time., April 1, 2014
This review is from: Marineland LED Aquarium Light, 11-Inch (Misc.)
I had one of these that came with a light/lid combo. After about three years the LEDs started to crap out and eventually it stopped working altogether. I figured that that was an OK lifespan for an inexpensive light, but before ordering another one I actually emailed Marineland to ask if they had done anything to improve the lights in view of my problem. They replied (direct quote): "There have been changes made to the lights."
Well, I ordered this and was reminded of how nice the tank looked when lit. Then it began to corrode within ONE WEEK and it was down to only a few functional LEDs. This piece of garbage is being returned.

Marineland LED Aquarium Light, 11-Inch