4.0 out of 5 stars An extremely fun and mind bending game!
Published on November 15, 2010 by A. Pohren

3.0 out of 5 stars I was not really happy with the fact that all the controlling of Mario's ...
I was not really happy with the fact that all the controlling of Mario's etc., must be done with the stylus and the touch screen. I prefer the action and control of the direction buttons, etc. The game seems slow and very repetitive so far. I can see myself getting bored already. Hope it picks up some. I will keep the game as it serves as a diversion for idle hands.
Published 23 days ago by Kindle Customer

4.0 out of 5 stars An extremely fun and mind bending game!, November 15, 2010
A. Pohren (IA United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Mario vs. Donkey Kong Mini-Land Mayhem! (Video Game)
Mario, Donkey Kong and Nintendo have long since gone hand-in-hand, from the very beginning of gaming. With this latest twist on these mainstay characters, in Mario vs. Donkey Kong Mini-Land Mayhem, gamers are introduced to a rather unique experience and twist to the norm. In Mini-Land Mayhem, there is no jumping, head bopping or ball throwing from Mario, as we have come to expect from this little red overall-dressed man. Instead, there are conveyor belts to be built, warp pipes to travel and girders to place, among other nifty travel techniques to build and use.

Players must use their skills and wits, in this puzzle-based game, to construct paths which correctly guide mini wind-up Marios through different scenes and levels to reach doors to move on to the next stage/level. With this being said, players must react quickly because once the mini Marios are set to action, girders must be zapped and replaced in other areas before the Marios fall onto spikes and meet their doom. Also, once one mini Mario reaches the door, the rest must follow very quickly behind, before the timer runs out. Therefore, the player must have a "game plan" of sorts set in their mind before tapping on the mini Marios and setting them to action. A feature that I found very helpful, in the beginning of playing this game, is that after a certain number of failed attempts at passing a level, there will be an automatic help mode option that will pop up. Players can then tap on this, if they choose, and the scene will play out before the player, showing how to solve that level. This gives the player an idea how to play further levels as well, by setting in there mind ways to solve the puzzles. This option was incredibly helpful for me when I first began playing Mini-Land Mayhem, simply because I am not one to read instructions and am more the "play around" and figure out on my own type. This also aided me in realizing the strategy that I could apply in further levels of play. Remember, this is only an option that appears and players do not have to use this method.

Other features of the game are unlockable mini-games, several amusement park attractions and a special Donkey Kong level that can be accessed, after the player has cleared all other areas in an attraction. All of these variations are just within the game itself, thus, the tip of the Mini-Land Mayhem iceberg!

In addition to the single player game itself, there are virtually endless game play possibilities. The "Construction Zone" is an area that gives gamers the opportunity to create, play, edit and share their very own game levels. After a short tutorial, players can create their level using a variety of templates, game rules, characters, movable objects, backgrounds and several additional options. Once the player has created their level, they have the option to share it online, via Nintendo WFC. Here the player can store up to one hundred and sixty additional puzzles for game play, thirty friends and/or favorite creators and choose to use either a private or public upload, depending on who the player wants to view and play their creations. A maximum of twenty levels can be uploaded at any one time. Another facet to Mini-Land Mayhem is the "Challenge Mode," where players can create custom levels based on certain rules set by Nintendo and then submitted to an online competition to be judged by other players.

As I mentioned earlier, game play and options in Mario vs. Donkey Kong Mini-Land Mayhem is virtually endless. There is a possibility of further levels released by Nintendo in the future. This is in addition to the included 200 puzzle levels already on the game. A gamer's dream.

I have to say that when I first received this game, my eight-year-old daughter grabbed it and off she went. In the beginning, she was a bit frustrated (yes, she is like me, no instructions, just right to the play aspect), however once she figured it out, she played and played and now loves it. Next, hubby got his hands on the game and is also hooked. Finally, I was able to snatch it away from both of them to have a bit of one-on-one time with my Dsi and Mario and Donkey Kong. I, like my daughter, went through that frustration stage, then once I caught on, was hooked. For me, Mini-Land Mayhem is one of those additive games where you continuously say to yourself "Okay, one more level..." then that one level turns into two, then three and before you know it, an hour has passed! Amazing.

I do want to mention that, while I enjoy the traditional Mario games, I have never been one that was enthralled with them. I become frustrated with games easily and, lets be honest, I just suck at trying to get Mario, Luigi and whomever else across gaps, bouncing on mushrooms, zapping flesh-eating flowers with fireballs, etc. However, with Mini-Land Mayhem, there is none of that, well, there is the stress of getting that little wind-up guy to go the correct way and getting those girders drawn before the poor guy becomes victim to the spikes. This game, however, is more of a thought-process and puzzle lovers, as well as Mario/Donkey Kong lovers will quickly become attached to this latest and newest version of Nintendo`s Mario games. The only complaint that I have, thus far, is the fact that players cannot control the little wind-up Marios, as far as the speed in which they move. They are at a set speed and really the only thing that can be controlled is their destination, by using the movable objects. The speed of the minis may not always be an issue, except when one has already reached it's destination and gone through the door and the others are still on their way.

Overall, I have to say that Mario vs. Donkey Kong Mini-Land Mayhem is sure to be a hit with a vast audience and age range. I know it is a new favorite at our house. Game play is fun, creative, thought-provoking and virtually endless. An excellent purchase and play value

5.0 out of 5 stars Mario Vs DK has still got class!, November 20, 2010
This review is from: Mario vs. Donkey Kong Mini-Land Mayhem! (Video Game)
As soon as i saw this game i had to get it. After having played through Mario vs DK 94', Mario vs DK Advance, and Mario vs DK 2: March of the minis i pretty much knew what i was in for. Lots of brain teaseing puzzles that start off easy and get pretty challenging. Then some special hard levels you can unlock with real skill. There is a good amount of play and some challenge for those just looking to see the main story levels. But for those like myself who want to 100% the game it gets pretty damn challeging. In this game they do trophys for beating the high score instead of stars. But in order to get even close to the high score you have to collect every coin, letter card, and mario coin in each level as well as beat them quickly. Unlike in Mario Vs DK 2 you can't directly control the minis anymore. Speed, timing, and planning ahead now play an even bigger role.

I'm very happy with this purchase and hope anyone else who gets it feels the same. Thanks Nintendo!

5.0 out of 5 stars Mario vs. Donkey Kong Returns, November 26, 2010
This review is from: Mario vs. Donkey Kong Mini-Land Mayhem! (Video Game)
It's a fun and creative puzzle game. I initially felt it was a little on the easy side, only to realize that there is a bunch of unlockable content. That definitely increased the replay value. It's addicting and each completed level leaves you wanting to rush to the next, or to collect all items and complete all achievements before advancing.

The mini-Marios (and others) march non-stop lemming-style and it's your job to guide them to the correct goal by use of certain tools in your arsenal, such as girdles, ladders, conveyor belts, springs, and pipes. Time is not on your side as you try to avoid enemies and gaps on your way to the goal. It'll take good timing and good decision-making in order to complete each puzzle-infused level. In addition to the main levels of gameplay, there are special levels and special modes that can be unlocked. Fun and innovative gameplay and some great nostalgic music makes me glad I bought this game.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hooked me in an instant, December 15, 2010
This review is from: Mario vs. Donkey Kong Mini-Land Mayhem! (Video Game)
Bought this for my kids and after watching them play a couple of levels I had to try it myself. When they got home from school I had finished nearly half the levels. I really enjoyed it and so did my kids. Great game, great levels, tons of fun.

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm the hero!, January 14, 2011
Sara (NW Florida) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mario vs. Donkey Kong Mini-Land Mayhem! (Video Game)
I bought this for our son for Christmas, I became the hero of the season! He has been playing non-stop and is near finishing already :D

5.0 out of 5 stars Mario vs. Donkey Kong, January 14, 2011
This review is from: Mario vs. Donkey Kong Mini-Land Mayhem! (Video Game)
This game is so fun my nephew is not allowed to play it all the time or he would not put it down.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mario, December 31, 2010
This review is from: Mario vs. Donkey Kong Mini-Land Mayhem! (Video Game)
What young boy/girl wouldn't love this new game - challenging and lots of fun. My grandson certainly is happy with it - got it for him for Christmas.

5.0 out of 5 stars Child loves it, December 28, 2010
This review is from: Mario vs. Donkey Kong Mini-Land Mayhem! (Video Game)
My child is 5 and he absolutely loves this game. He has played it for 3 straight days. Would definitely recommend this game for children around this age group.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great Mario game that is very different!, December 20, 2010
This review is from: Mario vs. Donkey Kong Mini-Land Mayhem! (Video Game)
Really enjoying this game. It is a very different gaming experience from a mario platformer but has the mario feel and quality 100%.
In essence it is a puzzle game, but in each world the final boss level harkens back to the Donkey Kong arcade games of old. It certainly takes some well thought out moves and some "redo-s" but is never irritatingly difficult.
Very happy with this game and fast shipping I received.

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm really enjoying this., December 14, 2010
Avid (dallas, tx) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mario vs. Donkey Kong Mini-Land Mayhem! (Video Game)
I didn't think I would like this game so much, but I keep playing it. It is more of a puzzle game, but lately I enjoy those more than blowing up everything that moves. It's a fun different kind of game if that's what you're looking for.

Mario vs. Donkey Kong Mini-Land Mayhem!
Mario vs. Donkey Kong Mini-Land Mayhem! by Nintendo (Nintendo DS)
$29.99 $24.00