4.0 out of 5 stars More than just pictures.....
The diet/nutrition portion of this book is subjective - I don't think everyone should be eating 2600 calories a day. Mario can do it because he has a lot of muscle.

Published on June 18, 2008 by Jim M. Leary

3.0 out of 5 stars It's a good start, but it's not perfect
Published on June 23, 2008 by Sean Logue

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars It's a good start, but it's not perfect, June 23, 2008
I am by no means a fitness expert or a workout veteran, but I'm not a beginner either: I've been working out 4 or 5 days per week for about a year, focusing primarily on one or two muscle groups per day, and I've seen some improved results with this book. The workouts are laid out in such a way that it shouldn't be difficult for a beginner to jump right into; they are also all-encompassing, thorough, and varied enough that you shouldn't stagnate once you get started on a regular schedule.

That said, Mario Lopez's Knockout Fitness is not without its flaws. There are two problems that I think are worth noting. For one, the meal plans, at least after the first phase, seem to be tailored towards people who are looking to lose weight; there is little guidance for those who are looking to add mass or simply "tone up." If that is your goal, I would suggest you find another book, or else do some research online as I had been doing prior to purchasing Knockout Fitness. (Presumably one could simply eat more of the meals outlined if one is looking to bulk up, but I would have enjoyed more clearly defined nutritional habits for a wider range of fitness goals).

The other problem I had is that the book is too sports-oriented. Mr. Lopez openly acknowledges that a lot of his readers probably do not participate in sports, yet he defines his exercises by the sports for which they prepare you. If the book is designed to help people who are out of shape, as the meal plans would have you believe, what good is it to know that exercise <x> is "great for boxing"? I think it would be more helpful to the average reader if the exercises were defined by the muscle group(s) they work so that they could be more easily substituted for other exercises.

Overall, this book should provide a good foundation for anyone looking to begin or improve on his/her workout routine. If you are really serious about fitness, however, you'll want to look at it alongside other literature.

4.0 out of 5 stars More than just pictures....., June 18, 2008

However, the workout portion of this book has some very good suggestions. The weights suggestions are things that are easily done at any gym. But many other exercises you can do in your own home. The "jump over the foam pad," the pushups and several others don't require any special equipment. I can spend less time at the gym when I break my workout into two parts: at-the-gym/at-home.

He suggests doing some boxing - but my gym doesn't have those capabilities. However, my Nintendo Wii provides a good boxing working. It's not necessarily physiologically accurate, but it gets my arms and legs moving and it makes me sweat.

I'm seeing results.

I would definitely recommend this book from an exercise standpoint. But like I said at the beginning, I don't think his meal recommendations are appropriate for everyone.

Overall, very good book. Lots of helpful suggestions.

5.0 out of 5 stars Viva Mario!, June 28, 2010
Beautiful color photogrpahs...practical illustrated exercise programs...excellent nutrition information and dietary suggestions...truly the best comprehensive "knockout" fitness program I have ever encountered for teens through seniors, male and female. And, Mario is an excellent model and practitioner for what he preaches.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book on Exercise and Nutrition, February 27, 2009
Khaled Altaher "Khaled" (Riyadh, NA Saudi Arabia) - See all my reviews
This book is different from all the many other books on fitness. This book is written by a very talented celebrity who indeed achieved a well recognized fitness level and knows how to teach others how to achieve the same. The ability to communicate easily with others was clear from the very simple and easy language his book was written in and from the very useful tips he gave.

Being into the sports of body building, I could confirm that Mario Lopez is giving the useful exercises and tips any person would need to know when exercising at the gym. However he explored many other areas that I didn't realize before they had so much effect on body building, such as playing regularly other sports like Boxing or dancing too in addition to your body building workout. The exercises handed in this book are thoroughly explained with pictures too detailing the steps of every exercise. The meal plans that were given were very detailed, in addition to the many useful nutrition tips that were given by Mario.

However, I felt that people who have good experience in body building won't benefit much from the exercises given in this book as much as how the beginners would. But these experienced body builders would certainly benefit from the many health and nutrition tips given, because they are not widely-known facts.

This book is useful for everyone interested in Fitness, especially those that do not have much body building experience and need to have an easy guide for their fitness program.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Workout!, September 13, 2008
Amazon Customer (Phoenix, AZ united states) - See all my reviews
I really liked this workout. I found the meal plans to be helpful and I really enjoyed the change in routines. Mario really mixes it up and gives a full body workout between weights, sports, yoga, dance, etc. I thought it was a lot of fun. If you're just getting into the gym for the first time or returning after some time off - this is a great place to start!

5.0 out of 5 stars Pretty Good, June 12, 2011
I'm not sure why I picked up this book. I'm not a M.Lopez fan nor do I enjoy reading 'celebrity' health books. It however turned out pretty good and worth my time.

I personally loved that Mario includes boxing as part of his routine, which is how mine goes. We also seem to work the same; having everything very organized and scheduled.

I'd definitely recommend it to those who are looking for a healthy lifestyle program to follow, this is a great stepping stone.

Pros:
- A variety of different activities (boxing, yoga, dancing, etc.) - although I don't like having so much on my plate, it's a great method for those that get bored quickly.
- Program is broken down in three phases, each section is clearly outlined: workout, exercise technique plus images and daily menu.
- Important info (for quick reference) is in point form.
- I enjoyed reading the reasons why people fall off the workout wagon.
- Excellent menu samples, and recipes.
- No supplements mentioned - menu includes only REAL food.
- Design: Really nice layout and images.

Cons:
- Doesn't mention which bodypart(s) a particular exercise works.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding Fitness Book, February 12, 2010
I have read hundreds of fitness books, attended hundreds of exercise gurus sessions, however, this book by Mario Lopez finally has given me the correct knowledge on how to stay fit for life. Through weight lifting, cardio, yoga, boxing, running, eating properly, I have noticed that my body has changed and I feel younger than ever before. I am 57 years-old, and my Doctor has recently told me that I have a body of a 40 year-old! My students could not believe that I actually have muscles! Thanks for the advice, Mario. I suggest that everyone who wants to stay in shape, to get this book. You will NOT be disappointed!

4.0 out of 5 stars Mario Lopez Knockout Fitness, June 21, 2013
This review is from: Mario Lopez's Knockout Fitness (Hardcover)
This was a good alternative to just doing things on my own. I needed a little structure to help get passed my rut.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very please, May 10, 2013
This review is from: Mario Lopez's Knockout Fitness (Hardcover)
Very please, would buy again. Will tell others about this product and very well worth the cost. Thanks a lot.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you want to see results with your body get advice from someone who is actually in shape., January 5, 2013
If you want to see results with your body get advice from someone who is actually in shape. I'm tired of watching a bowflex commercial and knowing that the people in the ad actually get fit some other way and not using the equipment or diet. If you want to have Mario's body then follow his diet and workout plan. I've been lifting and working out for 30+ years and this is as good of a plan as I've ever seen. I even bought a copy and had it shipped to one of my college buddies of 25 years just to help him get into shape.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Mario Lopez's Knockout Fitness
Mario Lopez's Knockout Fitness by Jim Stoppani (Hardcover - May 13, 2008)
Used & New from: $1.54