on June 23, 2008
I am by no means a fitness expert or a workout veteran, but I'm not a beginner either: I've been working out 4 or 5 days per week for about a year, focusing primarily on one or two muscle groups per day, and I've seen some improved results with this book. The workouts are laid out in such a way that it shouldn't be difficult for a beginner to jump right into; they are also all-encompassing, thorough, and varied enough that you shouldn't stagnate once you get started on a regular schedule.

That said, Mario Lopez's Knockout Fitness is not without its flaws. There are two problems that I think are worth noting. For one, the meal plans, at least after the first phase, seem to be tailored towards people who are looking to lose weight; there is little guidance for those who are looking to add mass or simply "tone up." If that is your goal, I would suggest you find another book, or else do some research online as I had been doing prior to purchasing Knockout Fitness. (Presumably one could simply eat more of the meals outlined if one is looking to bulk up, but I would have enjoyed more clearly defined nutritional habits for a wider range of fitness goals).

The other problem I had is that the book is too sports-oriented. Mr. Lopez openly acknowledges that a lot of his readers probably do not participate in sports, yet he defines his exercises by the sports for which they prepare you. If the book is designed to help people who are out of shape, as the meal plans would have you believe, what good is it to know that exercise <x> is "great for boxing"? I think it would be more helpful to the average reader if the exercises were defined by the muscle group(s) they work so that they could be more easily substituted for other exercises.

Overall, this book should provide a good foundation for anyone looking to begin or improve on his/her workout routine. If you are really serious about fitness, however, you'll want to look at it alongside other literature.
on June 18, 2008
The diet/nutrition portion of this book is subjective - I don't think everyone should be eating 2600 calories a day. Mario can do it because he has a lot of muscle.

However, the workout portion of this book has some very good suggestions. The weights suggestions are things that are easily done at any gym. But many other exercises you can do in your own home. The "jump over the foam pad," the pushups and several others don't require any special equipment. I can spend less time at the gym when I break my workout into two parts: at-the-gym/at-home.

He suggests doing some boxing - but my gym doesn't have those capabilities. However, my Nintendo Wii provides a good boxing working. It's not necessarily physiologically accurate, but it gets my arms and legs moving and it makes me sweat.

I'm seeing results.

I would definitely recommend this book from an exercise standpoint. But like I said at the beginning, I don't think his meal recommendations are appropriate for everyone.

Overall, very good book. Lots of helpful suggestions.
on June 12, 2011
I'm not sure why I picked up this book. I'm not a M.Lopez fan nor do I enjoy reading 'celebrity' health books. It however turned out pretty good and worth my time.

I personally loved that Mario includes boxing as part of his routine, which is how mine goes. We also seem to work the same; having everything very organized and scheduled.

I'd definitely recommend it to those who are looking for a healthy lifestyle program to follow, this is a great stepping stone.

Pros:
- A variety of different activities (boxing, yoga, dancing, etc.) - although I don't like having so much on my plate, it's a great method for those that get bored quickly.
- Program is broken down in three phases, each section is clearly outlined: workout, exercise technique plus images and daily menu.
- Important info (for quick reference) is in point form.
- I enjoyed reading the reasons why people fall off the workout wagon.
- Excellent menu samples, and recipes.
- No supplements mentioned - menu includes only REAL food.
- Design: Really nice layout and images.

Cons:
- Doesn't mention which bodypart(s) a particular exercise works.
on February 27, 2009
This book is different from all the many other books on fitness. This book is written by a very talented celebrity who indeed achieved a well recognized fitness level and knows how to teach others how to achieve the same. The ability to communicate easily with others was clear from the very simple and easy language his book was written in and from the very useful tips he gave.

Being into the sports of body building, I could confirm that Mario Lopez is giving the useful exercises and tips any person would need to know when exercising at the gym. However he explored many other areas that I didn't realize before they had so much effect on body building, such as playing regularly other sports like Boxing or dancing too in addition to your body building workout. The exercises handed in this book are thoroughly explained with pictures too detailing the steps of every exercise. The meal plans that were given were very detailed, in addition to the many useful nutrition tips that were given by Mario.

However, I felt that people who have good experience in body building won't benefit much from the exercises given in this book as much as how the beginners would. But these experienced body builders would certainly benefit from the many health and nutrition tips given, because they are not widely-known facts.

This book is useful for everyone interested in Fitness, especially those that do not have much body building experience and need to have an easy guide for their fitness program.
on September 13, 2008
I really liked this workout. I found the meal plans to be helpful and I really enjoyed the change in routines. Mario really mixes it up and gives a full body workout between weights, sports, yoga, dance, etc. I thought it was a lot of fun. If you're just getting into the gym for the first time or returning after some time off - this is a great place to start!
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I have read hundreds of fitness books, attended hundreds of exercise gurus sessions, however, this book by Mario Lopez finally has given me the correct knowledge on how to stay fit for life. Through weight lifting, cardio, yoga, boxing, running, eating properly, I have noticed that my body has changed and I feel younger than ever before. I am 57 years-old, and my Doctor has recently told me that I have a body of a 40 year-old! My students could not believe that I actually have muscles! Thanks for the advice, Mario. I suggest that everyone who wants to stay in shape, to get this book. You will NOT be disappointed!
on June 28, 2010
Beautiful color photogrpahs...practical illustrated exercise programs...excellent nutrition information and dietary suggestions...truly the best comprehensive "knockout" fitness program I have ever encountered for teens through seniors, male and female. And, Mario is an excellent model and practitioner for what he preaches.
on September 30, 2008
The strengths of this book are that it gives a good introduction to conventional strength-training exercises, has great photos, and contains some very useful dietary advice. As such, the book is very useful to the absolute beginner in weight-lifting.
But this is no knockout fitness plan, simply because the exercises will not enable you to generate maximum intensity. And if you don't achieve maximum intensity when doing any weight-lifting exercise, you will not obtain "maximum results in minimum time". And since your body, your health and your time are probably your three most valuable assets in your life, "maximum results in minimum time" is what most people want in the ideal workout plan.
Why is maximum intensity so important in this regard? The reasons are:

1) In order to get your muscles to grow bigger and stronger, you have to subject your muscles to a higher level of "intensity" than what they are currently accustomed to. Then your muscles grow to adapt that higher level of intensity. So the the higher the level of intensity, the greater the anabolic effect.
2) Intensity is inversely proportional to duration. The more intense an exercise is, the shorter the exercise has to be in terms of time, simply because you'll tire faster. So if you can sustain a weight-lifting exercise for longer than 6-8 seconds, it's not really high intensity.

So it turns out that the "most effective" way to build muscle is actually the "least time-consuming" way,IF you know the secrets to maximizing the intensity of any particular exercise that you do. And to do that, you need to the have the "right" definition for intensity (i.e. one that works in theory and can be readily applied). Otherwise, without that definition, you won't know which strategies work best to generate maximum intensity.
And that's where this book falls short: it doesn't provide the right definition for intensity, so as a result, the exercises will not allow you to obtain maximum intensity, which means that you will not obtain maximum results in minimum time with this plan. Of course, if you're an absolute beginner in weight-training, you probably will get results from this plan, simply because anything you do will be more intense than what you were previously doing, which was nothing. But even beginners will not get maximum results in minimum time (which is what most people want), for the reasons explained above.
The best published books that I currently know of for enabling you to obtain maximum intensity are "Static Contraction Training" (Sisco and Little), and "Max Contraction Training" (John Little).
In sum, I was impressed by this book because of the visual aspects, and partly because of the dietary plan (none of which was new to me, but most likely is for many people),but not by the workout plan. Also, I think it would be more useful to arrange the exercises according to muscle groups and body parts, not according to various sports, as the author as has done. Doing it the former way makes people more aware of what muscle groups they are actually using for each exercise.
Another problem with this plan is that a number of important motions are left out of it completely. And if you neglect doing those motions with weights, the muscle fibers that come into play only for those particular motions will remain undeveloped.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 29, 2008
If you are someone without experience in nutrition and exercises, and you want to enter in a new lifestyle, this is very good book,5* . He is giving some explanation in every chapter so it is not difficult to understand "why" to do like that and he is trying to teach you all you need to start.And you also have complete workout programs, so you get all you need.
Is he right or not in his statements,(or is the workout program best or not) I think for beginner is not so important, this is not writen to be a "bible of exercise physiology". Everybody with several years experience can find here something what is not 100% correct, but once more, this is a book for beginners who want to enter in a world of exercising and fit life and they get a complete solution in one book. Very easy and simple to read, high print and photo quality.
If you are experienced trainee and interesting for new methods to be stronger and build bigger mass, this is not for you, nothing new here, for you this is not a knockout program, for you this book is ony 2*
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
What I immediately noticed is the solid nutritional advice of Mario. I do also agree that one should plan for a diet that consists of around 2500 to 2600 calories. It has been proven that as far as weight control and greater energy is concerned, eating 5 small meals a day of about 500 to 600 calories per meal is best.

The professional gym has been glamorized so much, that tacitly, one would think that there is no hope to work out at home and have success. Mario shows great alternatives of exercises for working out at home as well. Good book. Good job.