4.0 out of 5 stars Party For The DS
Published on November 19, 2007 by Michael Kerner

3.0 out of 5 stars You won't party every night!
I've always enjoyed the mario party games. So when I heard that a mario party ds game was coming out I was a little more than excited. However this mario party game wasn't the party that I thought it was.

STORY=6
Mario party games don't need a story so I don't even know why they bothered. The story is that which ever character you picked finds a star piece...
Published on January 19, 2010 by J. Campbell

4.0 out of 5 stars Party For The DS, November 19, 2007
This review is from: Mario Party DS (Video Game)
When it comes to virtual board games, Nintendo has really conquered that market for the past several years with the success of the Mario Party franchise. Undoubtingly, the series that started from the Nintendo 64 back in 1999, has been the dominant force in the Mario spin-off franchises. It has proven to do so well from the N64, 4 editions for Nintendo's last home console, the Gamecube, and the recent success of Mario Party 8 for the Wii, the mini-game series has still remained as popular as it has been before. The biggest glitch though has remained in the handhelds. With the faults that have occured from the Game Boy Advance edition of Mario Party, many hanheld gamers have still been anxious for something a bit more to hold on too for the party. Now, with a new version for the Nintendo DS, it has proven to be a different course.

Mario Party DS brings the popular Mario board game series to a different handheld, and does deliver. There are over 70 different mini-games that range well from the simple use of the stylus, to the button mashing we all loved from before. There are five differnet boards for you to play on ranging from Toadette's Music Room, to Wiggler's Garden, the caterpillar from Super Mario 64, and many more to play with. There are also so many games to play around with that take full advantage of the Nintendo DS like more boss battles like Hexoskeleton, where you have to knock down a king-sized Dry Bones, to his knees by kicking fruits at him, to make him spill down to the floor, or the all-new Rotisserie Rampage, where one player is spinning the meat the other three players are on top of, as you try to roast them out to dry.

The gameplay takes full advantage of the DS as you even use the stylus, and the microphone in a game like Blowdown, where you'd have to knockdown a giant whomp by blowing into the mike. The graphics have proven to work much better here, than the e-card and the GBA versions of Mario Party, and takes the gameplay to a whole new innovation, as was the case with the Wii version. Sadly though, there is one big disadvantage with the game, there are 5 boards to play on, a few fewer than the editions from the N64 and Gamecube versions. Nevertheless, it still remains big on the graphics, sound, and fun all in one. It takes a step in the direction DS owners have desired for the franchise.

All in all, if you haven't played any edition of Mario Party before for the Gamecube, Wii, or N64 days, you'll definitely love this one for the Nintendo DS. It has so much fun at a great value in gameplay, excitement, and everything you'd expect from Mario, Luigi and company in a game that is fun and loveable in the palms of your hand. I absoluetly recommend this a whole lot, so party on down.

Graphics: B

Sound: B

Control: B+

Fun & Enjoyment: B 1/2+ for solo play; A- for multiplayer action

Overall: B 1/2+

5.0 out of 5 stars A very entertaining game!!, March 10, 2008
This review is from: Mario Party DS (Video Game)
I bought this product for my five year old son. He has many video games for his Nintendo DS and this is the one he plays the most. This is a game with a lot of fun activities inside (races, puzzles, find an object, etc.). The graphics are very good and the games are very well made (interesting, fun, clever, etc.). I've tried to buy this video game from game stores and it was very difficult to do so. It was sold out for quite a long time. If you can find it at Amazon, buy it and save time and money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally, the DS is ready to PARTY!, November 24, 2007
This review is from: Mario Party DS (Video Game)
If there were ever two consoles destined for Mario Party, it's the Wii and DS. Wii owners got their version a few months ago, and now all of us DS owners are finally getting ours!

I've played Mario Party since the first one originally came out for N64 years (and years...) ago, but the DS finally gives Mario Party the platform it truly needs -- the touch screen is perfect for the minigames, but there is still a great balance between touch-screen-based mingames and 'normal' minigames.

The single-player Story Mode is interesting but I can only play it for a few turns at a time before I start going crazy watching the COM players to play through... but that's to be expected because Mario Party's success is dependent on getting some crazy friends together in the break room to play!

That being said, I was initially disappointed because there's no Nintendo WFC capabilities (only local multiplayer), but then I realized that that was probably a smart move since no one in their right mind would sit on the Nintendo WFC and play with strangers for an hour -- we'd just be starting games over and over again when people left!

So yeah... Mario Party DS is every bit a must-have for Nintendo DS as Mario Kart DS. EVERYONE who owns a Nintendo DS should at least have these two games, no excuses!

4.0 out of 5 stars Now that were at a Real Party, How about some snacks? (by Laura), January 15, 2008
Introduction:

Mario Party DS is quite a hoot! This isn't the first time I've participated in the Mario Party series as I've also played Mario Party 7 (another game you should check out) for the Nintendo Gamecube. I shall disclose to you the plot, as well as the good and the bad points of this newest fiesta.

Plot:

It's raining sky crystals, and one falls near Mario. The next day, Mario tells all of his friends about it. During this gathering, Kamek brings an interesting note from Bowser. Apparently, Bowser wants to apologize for being a jerk, and throw a big feast for the crew. Who could resist? In other words, the characters aren't that bright (I mean, come on! Would you really go to a villain's house for dinner? Bowser has kidnapped Peach herself at least a dozen times!), and they accept the invitation. The invitation was an elaborate trap, as a big cage falls over the crew, as they arrive. Using his sceptor, Bowser shrinks the crew into "Mini" heroes, takes the sky crystal they have, and wisks them away. Now, everyone wants to be the hero, and this is where you come in: play as Mario, Luigi, Wario, Waluigi, Peach, Daisy, Yoshi, or Toad, and travel through a garden, a piano room, a jungle, a library, and Bowser's own lair. Your goals are to outshine the other heroes, collect all of the sky crystals, and defeat Bowser once and for all. Good luck!

Bad Points:

1. Not enough girl characters. Out of all eight characters, only two are female. While this topic is on the table, there aren't as many characters (male or female) to choose from as Mario Party 7.

2. Some mini games require luck. I don't like this.

3. Some mini games just stink, and others require you to work with a COM or two (if you're playing solo). While these minigames can be fun, If your luck is bad, and your partner/partners stink, you may be in trouble. That's just not fair.

4. There are certain spaces on the game boards where you get five coins while someone else gets five coins. You get to choose who you want to be your friend. When I'm playing and someone else lands on such a space, I'm never their friend... Besides, giving coins to a COM opponent is just stupid.

Good Points:

1. Most of the minigames are fun and addictive.

2. Most of the minigames are hillarious! They really took advantage of the fact you're tiny. Rubber Ducky Rodeo anyone?

3. The boards are fun, with various traps and rules to keep you from being bored.

4. Some of the bosses may be challenging, but not to the point of frustration. They're relatively simple once you get the hang of it, and they're quite a bit of fun themselves.

5. Unlike Mario Party 7, you don't have to buy your rewards with milage points. All you do is get a certain number of points to get rewarded with something. This saves time, and helps keep away repetition.

6. The boss trophies are comical.

7. The mini games take great advantage of the stylus and the mike.

Conclusion:

That's all I can say. Overall, this is a very staightforward game that's great for dull moments. It should be noted that you don't have to save, but the game saves automatically, every time you complete a minigame (this is true in story mode as well). So when you want to quit, just play the mini game (that always occurs) at the end of the turn, wait until the end of it, and when you see the board again turn it off. Or, if the current turn isn't going well, just turn the DS off and you'll start that one turn over again (providing you've played at least one turn and minigame by this point). If you like this game, look into Mario Party 7. Have fun!

5.0 out of 5 stars 7 yr old son LOVES it, July 22, 2008
M. O'Brien (Walnut Creek, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mario Party DS (Video Game)
My 7 yrs old son loves this Nintendo DS game over any of his other games, and he has about 7 others (including MarioKart and DiddyKong Racing). It's definitely a must have.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four friends can play from one game! The best mini-game collection on the DS., September 25, 2010
This review is from: Mario Party DS (Video Game)
My recent review of another mini-game collection reminded me that Mario Party DS is still the gold standard for the DS.

Mario Party DS delivers single-cartridge multiplayer support so four players can play the entire game from only one copy (the system's Download Play feature). This feature alone makes this a superb value compared with the litany sub-$20 mini-game collection on the market. I bought this game when my sons were ages 6 and 5; they managed to draw nearly a year's worth of gameplay from Mario Party DS before it hit the trade shelf.

Mario Party DS contains two modes. In story mode, you advance through five game boards, collecting coins and stars as you compete in mini-game battles. Each board concludes with a boss battle:
Round 1 Boss: Pirahna Plant
Round 2 Boss: Hammer Bro
Round 3 Boss: Dry Bones
Round 4 Boss: Kamek
Round 5 Boss: Bowser

In party mode, you first establish the game length from 10 to 30 rounds. Two-on-two battles require teamwork where each player alternates button presses to accomplish a goal, like climbing, driving or stacking. The computer AI tends to be aloof as a partner and vicious as an opponent.

In summary, Mario Party DS is the best mini-game collection we own for the DS. Offering more than 70 mini-games in a game board presentation, Mario Party is at its best when played with friends in multiplayer mode. I place it just one notch below Mario Kart on the must-have list of DS games.

Rating: Four stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Translates well to DS, October 6, 2008
This review is from: Mario Party DS (Video Game)
Many years ago I played this game on Nintendo 64. When I bought myself a Nintendo DS as a treat, I was happily surprised to learn that they had made an edition of Mario Party for it. And also to my surprise, the game translated beautifully from console to hand-held.

Good:
-Graphics are unbelievably clear and liquid.
-Frequent auto-saves ensure you won't lose your place.
-Mini-games are FUN, I have come across some old favorites.
-Numerous ways to play; from the classic board-game setup to new individual 'puzzle games'.
-Lots of bang for your buck, you won't get bored easily.

Bad:
-One level was incredibly hard to beat and I couldn't go on to the next board game until it was cleared; though I realize this is an issue of skill, it took months!
-I'm on the last board and there are a few of the old mini games that I loved that have yet to appear. Hopefully they just aren't unlocked yet! There's gotta be Hot-Rope-Jump, right?

5.0 out of 5 stars Mario Party is a BLAST for adults too!, March 28, 2009
This review is from: Mario Party DS (Video Game)
I am a "mom gamer" and and I bought this to play with my kids in the "multi-player" mode. However, I thought I would first try it out myself in the single player mode. I was quite pleasantly surprised to see how much fun I had all by myself! I have played it several hours alone now, in several different modes and settings. I REALLY enjoy it! (Maybe I will even try it with my kids!)

4.0 out of 5 stars I love this game, but....., November 28, 2007
This review is from: Mario Party DS (Video Game)
This is my first experience with Mario Party. I love the concept, and when the COM players are taking their turns, it's a good excuse to go to the bathroom or whatever.:) But I am frustrated because I have beaten the first world but cannot get past the plant-the one where you have to drop bombs into it's mouth. I've spent probably an hour a day since I got the game trying to beat it. I even started another game as a different player thinking the character I was using wasn't the right one for the task: Same results. I'm sure I'll get through it but it is driving me crazy!
Otherwise, I love the game. The mini-games are easy but not so easy that you win every one, and it's nice having new games to learn with Mario and friends. I also like that you can practice the games as many times as you want to before you take on the other characters.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, August 27, 2009
E. Wilson (Richmond/Bloomington, IN USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mario Party DS (Video Game)
I am fairly new to video games in general. The DS is the first game system I've ever owned (for about 2 months now), and this is my first review. Other games I have/enjoy are The New Super Mario Bros., Animal Crossing, Professor Layton, Mario Kart, Brain Age, and so on.

I really love this game! I feel like it gives an even mix of button/stylus use, which I really like. It's impossible to get bored, because there are so many options of what to do, not only while on the menu (story mode, multiplayer mode, etc.), but also within the game. The minigames vary in nature and technique, keeping me interested. Also, tying in fun of regular board games is a great plus.

I play it mostly on single player mode, as my boyfriend is always busy with his new wii, but I found that multi-player mode is really great as well.

I know there are reviews on here that are more detailed and from more video game knowledgeable people than me, but I hope that this review is helpful to someone, perhaps someone as unfamiliar with v-games as I was. In short, let me put it this way - Mario Party DS is the first video game I have liked so much that I felt compelled to write a review and spread the word! :) Go get it and enjoy it!

Mario Party DS
Mario Party DS by Nintendo (Nintendo DS)
$49.99