5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book!, October 26, 2012
This review is from: Mark As Story: An Introduction to the Narrative of a Gospel (Paperback)
In giving my evaluation of Mark As Story, I will begin with my general reaction; then, I will discuss one of the main catalysts of thought. It took me the course of the book to really warm up to Mark As Story.

I was, perhaps, hyper-critical of the first couple of chapters, especially of the "story world" and their use of the "rule of God." By the end of the book, I gained a better understanding of the "story world" concept and the wording "rule of God." Mark As Story is now, perhaps, one of my favorite books, which is largely the result of my favorite chapters: the conclusion, which analyzes the audience and its role, and the epilogue, "Reading as a Dialogue: the Ethics of Reading." After reading these chapters and reflecting on the preceding chapters, I have realized that I concur with the interpretive method of the authors. The approach they posit reminds me of the theological interpretation that is the subject of Joel Green's Practicing Theological Interpretation. It also seems to provide a median between the historical-critical approach and the "devotional" approach. I also concur with their purpose in writing the book--enhancing "the experience of the story as story" and the ability of the story to transform the audience (8). Mark as Story maintains the integrity of the text, attempting to provide an accurate interpretation and analysis of Mark without jettisoning the authority of the text or its "theology."

For the extended review check out Christ My Redeemer at Wordpress.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous! (from a non-Christian reader), July 3, 2014
Using the method of “narrative criticism”, the authors make clear, in simple and direct language, what the “good news” meant for Mark and the communities he was writing for.

As a non-Christian, this book really helped me get my head around the concept of “the rule (kingdom) of God” and how some people in the 1st century understood Jesus’ role (and those who followed his teachings) in the “kingdom’s” realization on Earth.

As for the book as a whole, preeminent New Testament scholar Mark Allan Powell writes in the Afterword:
“What Rhoads and Michie’s Mark as Story accomplished better than any other book of which I am aware is simply this: it explains what happens in the story (the plot, the characters, the settings) and how the story is told (the tone, the rhetoric, and the role of the narrator). It reveals the basic meaning of the Gospel of Mark in a manner that corresponds quite closely to what most people, most of the time, mean when they talk about “the meaning of a story.””

I highly recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice!, July 6, 2014
This is a great analysis of the Gospel of Mark as well as introduction to narrative criticism. Be aware that this book is not organized as a commentary. Instead, it is much more interested in the matters of narrative criticism and examining the story aspect of Mark. It uses accessible language. It is really a quick read, and I would recommend it for a variety of uses (narrative criticism, study of Mark, character study, etc)

5.0 out of 5 stars This book has given me a better understanding of the Gospel of Mark, September 27, 2014
Shelly (Ft. Lauderdale, FL) - See all my reviews
This book has given me a better understanding of the Gospel of Mark.It gave insight about the narrator and helped me look at things described in the book differently. Now it all makes sense. A must reaad, especially for someone learning the word.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Read, January 23, 2014
The book is an interesting read. I really enjoyed reading the book and found the information very useful in life today.

Mark As Story: An Introduction to the Narrative of a Gospel
Mark As Story: An Introduction to the Narrative of a Gospel by David M. Rhoads (Paperback - April 1, 2012)
$24.00 $16.03