Mark of Athena - Book 3 Discussion

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 299 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 4, 2011 10:19:32 PM PDT
A. White says:
Great first book, imo.

Now about this mark. The prophecy Elle/Ella stated was "Wisdom's daughter walks alone, the Mark of Athena burns through Rome."

And then Juno/Hera basically said Annabeth was going to be trouble. I don't see why because Minerva/Athena was a highly respected god in Rome so she'd get some respect. I dunno. What do you guys think?

Posted on Oct 4, 2011 10:23:11 PM PDT
Black Storm says:
According to Niki in the Expectations thread, Annabeth may not be one of the seven. No one will know for sure until Mark of Athena comes out next fall.

Posted on Oct 4, 2011 10:27:49 PM PDT
A. White says:
It makes sense for her to be part of the 7 but at the same time it would be a good plot twist if she wasn't. I just wonder what could make Annabeth have so much trouble in the Roman camp. I think she'd fit in with the Romans since they think stuff through more and offer a better life for the demigods.

But I guess she's also stubborn and small things like the fauns being mistreated would probably upset her.

Even if she's not part of the 7 she must be important considering she has the book named after her. And I find it strange how Percy's title was "Son of Neptune" and he accepted Roman life. Annabeth's isn't "Mark of Minerva" so it's like she's rejecting it... I could be reading too much into this I didn't even think Percy was going to be the son of Neptune they were talking about.

Posted on Oct 5, 2011 9:17:15 AM PDT
bhavin shah says:
so the seven are: percy, hazel, frank, leo, piper, jason, annabeth?

Posted on Oct 5, 2011 5:31:51 PM PDT
No Name says:
tecnically, annabeth is almost 100% part of the propechy because who else is a main charachter who is a daughter/son of Athena? grrrrr! cant rick pick up the pace? it REALLY long to wait for a full yeaR! I think that more people like heroes of olympus better than kane chronicles...... maybe he should stop them for a while to write 2 heroes of olympus in one year! what do u guys think?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2011 5:50:50 PM PDT
K says:
I zoo agree I personally was really disappointed by the lanes and I liked the heroes of olympus soooo much more.

Posted on Oct 5, 2011 7:50:20 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 5, 2011 9:18:02 PM PDT
Niki says:
After reading the Son of Neptune, I am more sure that Annabeth will be part of the prophecy, but I still have a small grudge that she won't. Rick Riordan has yet to write the final copy of the book, and it would be far too predictable if Annabeth is part of the prophecy. We'll all just have to wait and see.

Posted on Oct 5, 2011 9:59:02 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 6, 2011 2:59:10 PM PDT
Black Storm says:
Personally, I'm enjoying the Kane books almost as much as these. Besides, there's no point to putting off the next one as it's the last book in the trilogy. Perhaps, after next year, he can put out two a year. He probably won't though; if he keeps them coming out in the Fall, then he can work longer on them so there will be fewer grammar mistakes missed. I've caught some in some of the books.

Posted on Oct 6, 2011 6:14:04 AM PDT
A. White says:
Wasn't it revealed that he's going to make a Norse book next? I'm not going to read it though because I'm not a fan of the Norse gods at all, but he's going to be busy for a while.

And I noticed grammar errors too though I read it on my ipod and there were already a ton of formatting errors.

I think the Kane Chronicles has gotten way better with this last book. I'm looking forward to the next one as much as the next Heroes of Olympus book.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 6, 2011 8:34:53 AM PDT
No Name says:
IKR!!
*sigh*
why did i read the book so fast? The least he could do would be that he releases it in the spring when the kane chronicles are supposed to come out!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 6, 2011 8:36:08 AM PDT
No Name says:
Black Storm, i thought that there was 5 books in the series!? Did something change?

Posted on Oct 6, 2011 8:40:33 AM PDT
No Name says:
Hello everybody again!!!!!!!
I can't wait to hear Annabeth's point of view! (i am crossing my fingers, toes, eyes, legs, and everything else that Annabeth is the main character in the next book!) what do you guys think that the prophecy that ella said is about? "wisdom's daughter walks alone, the mark of athena burns through rome." I am comfused on what this could mean!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 6, 2011 9:08:10 AM PDT
Black Storm says:
In the Kane Chronicles? Not that I know of, but his site says there will only be 3. *shrug*

A. White: He did say he was going to write Norse books, but he said they would wait until Kane Chronicles and Heroes of Olympus were done. It's possible that they will become the spring book once the Kane books are done, leaving Heroes of Olympus in the fall.

Posted on Oct 6, 2011 10:46:14 AM PDT
No Name says:
O i thought you were talking about Heroes of Olympus... i thought that Kane Chronicles were 5... hmmm! I guess i was wrong! Black Storm, what do u think the prophecy means that Ella said?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 7, 2011 10:02:50 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 7, 2011 10:03:23 AM PDT
I think that Annabeth is the person referred to in Ella's prophecy, but not the seventh demi-god in the Great Prophecy. IMO, a child of Apollo will be the seventh. The series has focused on the links and divides between the Greek and the Roman, and Apollo is the god who is the best 'bridge' between the Greek and the Roman. He has no Roman equivalent (name is the same), he began as a quintessential Greek god, but later Roman emperors reclaimed him (so to speak) and even claimed to be descended from him. He's also the god of order, moderation, harmony and reason - the perfect opposite of chaos, wilderness and darkness that Gaea represents.

Posted on Oct 7, 2011 11:27:04 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 7, 2011 11:30:46 PM PDT
A. White says:
But I don't think there is a demigod heir of Apollo worthy to be the 7th in the books right now. I doubt he's going to introduce more characters. And Will, and the other Greek Apollo campers aren't really important and I doubt Frank, Hazel, Percy, or any of the others would agree to let Octavion tag along (I think from his statement on never dying shows how moved by power he is- I can see him backstabbing/manipulating the others even more).

I actually read an awesome theory on the prophecy on bluetrident and they believe that Annabeth is definitely one of the 7 and will be the one who leads the others in finding the doors of death in Rome.

That's what Hera meant when she said Annabeth had a difficult task in front of her.

Posted on Oct 8, 2011 4:04:49 PM PDT
Amy says:
Oh, a book three discussion!
Well, I just finished the book and the end is a cliffhanger.
Everyone seems to have a conversation about whether Annabeth will be one of the seven demigods, and I think she will be. At the Olympian week, seven gods were introduced. Zeus, Poseidon, Athena, Ares, Hades, Aphrodite, and Hephaestus. But the seven gods amazingly match with the seven hero's godly parent. Jupiter(Zeus)- Jason, Poseidon(Neptune)- Percy, Mars(Ares)- Frank, Pluto(Hades)- Hazel, Aphrodite(Venus)- Piper, Hephaestus(Vulcan)- Leo. There's only one left, Athena. Juno herself mentioned that
Annabeth has a hard task ahead of her.
The Son of Neptune left so many mysteries behind. Like, first, what happened to Nico Di Angelo? I was pretty surprised to see him so quickly, but he didn't do anything important here except getting Hazel back to the modern world. Second, I got so mixed up about the whole Sammy Valdez/Leo Valdez business. I was like, What? Leo was there at the 1940s and got a girlfriend named Hazel? His name was Sammy? I admit, I like Leo more than Frank, but I don't want Frank and Hazel breaking up their relationship.
The biggest problem: We have to wait for ONE YEAR to find out all of these.

Posted on Oct 8, 2011 4:24:34 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 8, 2011 4:25:02 PM PDT
Devoured the book today. Now that two books are out, we have a much clearer view of what lies ahead.

I think we've got most of our main protagonists. We've been to both camps now (I like what Riorden did with Camp Jupiter, btw. That was cool.); we've certainly met six of the seven. I have no doubts that Annabeth IS the seventh. One: She's too popular a character to be left behind without major outcry from fans. Two: Annabeth is not the sort of character who's going to let herself get left behind. Her fatal flaw is hubris. The world is in danger. She's not going to sit at home and let Percy mess things up as usual. Three: All the aforementioned "Athena" stuff (mark of Athena, Athena on the list of Olympian week gods, etc.) Four: Juno's comment about Annabeth being trouble. Yeah. Annabeth is definitely in.

Posted on Oct 8, 2011 4:46:45 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 8, 2011 4:47:50 PM PDT
In the meantime, the other gossip. Relationships. Jason and Piper are definitely an item. Reyna has no hope. It's been 1100 pages, half of which have been Jason/Piper oriented, but not a single Jason/Reyna scene.

Percy and Annabeth - might I just say, I feel thoroughly cheated of the much anticipated reunion scene. But thank the gods Percy didn't meet someone else at Camp Jupiter.

That leaves us with - uh-oh. We've got a girl who's supposed to be dead, who, in her previous life, loved a boy named Sammy Valdez, who never forgot her. She's obviously got a thing for Frank and the feeling is clearly mutual, but she still dreams of Sammy. Enter Leo Valdez, who looks exactly like Sammy Valdez, and who doesn't yet have a girlfriend. Oh, and did I mention that Leo is a fire user, and that the only thing holding Frank to life is a stub of ultra-flammable kindling? One doesn't have to be the oracle of Delphi to see Tragic Love Triangle on the horizon. Emphasis on the Tragic.

Posted on Oct 8, 2011 5:37:50 PM PDT
Black Storm says:
It's true that Leo LOOKS like Sammy, but for all we know he doesn't ACT like his ancestor. At least, I ASSUME Sammy is related to Leo. Sammy did move to Texas, which is where Leo is from. He's probably Leo's grandfather or great-grandfather. It will be interesting to see how Frank, Hazel, and Leo interact, though.

I honestly don't know what the prophecy about the mark of Athena means. We spent a lot of time in the Expectations thread speculating about Son of Neptune, and little if any of the stuff we talked about were in the the book. Riordan is really good at throwing curve balls while still being believable. I really like how he handled Percy losing his Curse of Achilles. That was a plausible reason.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 8, 2011 6:56:44 PM PDT
I could have sworn that there was an interview where he said that we'd meet the 7th member of the prophecy in Book 3. Anyone else have the link?

I think that Annabeth will be important, just not the 7th. Or it's possible that some of the new characters will not be part of 7. Percy is one for sure, as is Frank. Were any of the others (Hazel, Piper, Leo and Jason) told that they would be part of the 7, not just part of the plan in general? Because as things stand right now, 5 of the heroes are Roman and even if Annabeth is the 7th, that seems very skewed. It should be 3 Greek, 3 Roman and 1 who is neither/both.

>>>>Enter Leo Valdez, who looks exactly like Sammy Valdez, and who doesn't yet have a girlfriend. >>>>

To paraphrase one of my favorite series, Dead Like Me: "Leo's not Sammy and Hazel's dead. It will never work."

Posted on Oct 8, 2011 7:42:01 PM PDT
A. White says:
Greek - Piper, Leo, Percy
Roman- Jason, Frank, Hazel

So no matter what the last one is going to offset it. That I could see Octavian getting angry about and maybe instating himself as the 7th but I dunno, now that I think about it Annabeth is probably the 7th.

I don't see what the fuss is over Hazel and Leo. Hazel & Frank forever!!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 8, 2011 11:34:10 PM PDT
Didn't Leo mention that he was being claimed by Vulcan? There was some sort of joke about him being a Vulcan.

Posted on Oct 9, 2011 4:51:42 AM PDT
Heidi Wills says:
Leo is the son of Hesphestus, whose Roman name is Vulcan.
Is the 7th member introduced in book 3 or are they just the focus of the third book?

Posted on Oct 9, 2011 1:12:41 PM PDT
Martha J. R. says:
I think there are reasons that Annabeth could be the 7th, which have been previously mentioned, but I also think that there is a possibility she won't be. At Frank's grandmother's house, Mars tells Frank that he is going to have to help Percy make a decision that is impossible for him to make because of his fatal flaw, loyalty to his friends. I could see that being Percy having to decide to leave Annabeth behind. But I don't know, it could be anything. Oh, and I really didn't like how Nico acted like he didn't even know Percy at the beginning. It makes me question his trustworthiness, even though I've always liked Nico. How did Nico even find the camp and know about it?
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  74
Total posts:  299
Initial post:  Oct 4, 2011
Latest post:  Oct 4, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 22 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
The Son of Neptune (Heroes of Olympus, Book 2)
The Son of Neptune (Heroes of Olympus, Book 2) by Rick Riordan (Hardcover - October 4, 2011)
4.8 out of 5 stars   (1,835)