Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Crown the Empire Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

Showing 1-4 of 4 reviews(1 star). Show all reviews
on September 6, 2010
I read up on the author and saw that she had a background in law enforcement and according to her was even a crack pistol shot. I thought to myself, 'wow, this real world experience should really help her spin a good tale!' I now find myself wishing i could summon a demon to banish this book for eternity.

Kara is a demon summoning cop who sleeps with demons that she summons. These demons also have names which are entirely impossible to pronounce. I hate authors that try to come up with names that are so exotic sounding that they are impossible to speak in public without feeling embarressed. Kara has an annoying family member that keeps popping up and has a new love interest in the FBI. This FBI agent has dialogue fit for a child and acts like the FBI agents in the Fast and the Furious series; ie entirely unbelievable.

I actually thought the premise of the demon back story was interesting, and the ending was kind of fun, but the main problem with the book is the authors writing skills. The dialogue is horrible, the jokes unfunny, and the authors inexperience shows. It is nowhere near Armstrong, Andrews, early Hamilton, and Briggs.

This is a book good for plane rides with nothing better to do. This is not a great book to snuggle up with in a comfortable seat in your house.
on December 15, 2009
I bought this book based on the good reviews. Big mistake. It's not a terribly well written book. The time sense is off, with events seemingly occurring right on top of each other that we later find are a couple of weeks apart. For example, the murders are supposed to have been done over days (by torture) and yet when the second body turns up, we as readers are left wondering if the killer has an assembly line going with several victims being held at once. This goes on all through the book: We have no sense of time going by. That's distracting. And anything that takes the reader out of the book is bad writing.

The second thing I didn't care for was the main character, Kara. Frankly, she wasn't particularly smart, and she wasn't particularly nice. About every other word out of her mouth was the "F" word, and if an author has to fill in with vulgarities on a constant basis, it's just boring and becomes meaningless. It got to the point that I was wondering if the author needed to add words to make up the word count in the book because the editors had sent it back and said "we need another 2000 words" and it was easy to simply go back and add that word in a lot of the conversations. And let me be clear, it's not that I'm the prim type who doesn't use that kind of language myself, because I do. It's strictly the way it's used in this book. And the not nice part? The character is supposed to be a professional. A police detective. At one point she yells at an elderly lady, who we have already been told is a mean and bigotted person, to "mind her F***ing business" when the old lady accosted her outside of a crime scene. I just don't expect a professional person to ever use that kind of language on the public. I don't care if it's been established the person getting yelled at is a bigot. This is just something a professional doesn't do. It totally destroyed the character for me as someone I could like, identify with, or even care what happened to her.

And if that's not enough, the author simply pulled the killer out of hat and said "that's him!". No clues, no hints, no nothing. Oh, come on. That's about as bad as you can get. Do things like that and the author has instantly reduced themselves to the level of "any idiot can write like that".

All in all, it's just not that good of a first effort for me to want to spend the money on any further books that might come in a series. And I don't completely fault the author for this, either. This is publishing error as much as anything. An editor decided this writing was good enough, when they should have sent it back to the author for more work. Everything here was fixable if time was taken with the book, and I'd have been writing a very different review.

I think Diana Rowland has it in her to write a good book, but she needs to work at it more than this effort and she needs an editor that helps her get the job done.

Finally, I read another book after this one from an author I'd never read before, Ilona Andrews, and let me tell you, that author knows their stuff! Excellent writing, and a rivetting book (Magic Bites).
44 comments| 27 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 22, 2010
I'm not sure what book the other reviewers read but it was not the dribble I got. I thought I was going to read a book about a strong female character that kicked butt....instead, I got a wimpy character whose inner thoughts comprised over 3/4 of the book. This really wasn't my kind of book. I like action and great dialogue....it was missing from this book.
on December 23, 2011
Wow is this book bad. I don't know where the five-star rating come from, but fans need to remember that five stars means "excellent."

Our protagonist, Kara Gillian, fights crime. Ok, that makes sense. She's also a demon summoner. Ok...I'll play along.

Further entries later, Kara Gillian has summoned a demon when an intruder breaks into her house. The demon runs upstairs, and Gillian follows. Catching up to the demon (and remember, this is a DEMON, a piece of evil from Hell), Gillian is thankful her house is in the Southern style, cozy but not palatial.

Did the author decide to become a critic of architectural styles just now? Yes, she did, and that's one reason (there are many other lines like this) that I am putting this one back.
88 comments| 4 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse