Industrial-Sized Deals BOTMKT15 Shop Women's Fall Denim Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums See All Deals Storm Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Shop Popular Services Home Theater Setup Plumbing Services Assembly Services Shop all furious7 furious7 furious7  Amazon Echo Fire HD 6 Kindle Voyage Assassin's Creed Syndicate Gear Up for Football Deal of the Day

on September 8, 2010
Although overall a book with a lot of tips, the author does not explain things as well as she could. For instant, she starts talking about Google Trends and doesn't tell us where to find it online (I guess there's Google for that ;). That said, there are a lot of good gems she shares. Here are some:

-Searchers click on organic results 85% of the time
-Companies connect with searches in two ways: Paid and Organic
-Longer search queries = fewer paid results appearing to the searcher
-Videos and images draw users away from the paid search column
-50% of searchers will see the 7th search result
-100% of searchers look at the first organic result; 50% look at the first paid result
-Increased organic results = increased brand awareness
-organic results last over time, whereas paid results stop the second you stop paying for them
-Searchers click on a brand 92% of the time when a brand is in both paid and organic results
-A search is on avg. three words long; nearly 25% are only one word
-Women are more deliberate in reading search results
-A #1 ranking is less important than people think. If you rank in the top 3 to 4 results and have a more compelling title and description, you may own the click
-Searchers don't even look at the entire title. They look at the left half of it
-Remember that every page of your site is a potential entry for visitors
-The days of normal search results that everyone sees the same are now over
-YouTube is the second largest search engine
-Results that contain both video and images, searches start with that first, then go above, and then below in their scan
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Every once in a great while a new business book is published that just oozes with credibility and usefulness. Such is the case with Vanessa Fox's "Marketing in the Age of Google." Vanessa is a search engine optimization expert and former Google spokesperson. Her book takes off quickly, pointing out that 88% of online search dollars are spent on paid results, but 85% of searchers click on organic (non-paid) results. Slightly over half (56%) of Google searches return no paid ads. Although $9.1 billion was spent on online advertising in 2007, and it is projected to reach $20.9 billion in 2013, improving performance with organic search results is the focus of her book.

Worldwide there are 131 billion searchers/month, 23 billion by Americans. About 12% of U.S. searches are focused on retail items, and 63% of search-related purchases occur offline. Essentially all searchers look at the first organic result, while only 50% look at the first paid result. Fox points out that searchers will tell you exactly what will compel them to buy your products - if only you will look for the answers. Information within Google Insights for Search and Google Trends can reveal the relative popularity of similar search terms, trends and seasonality in their popularity, where (geographically) most inquiries are coming from. Other sources for useful sights include Google Adwords (Fox suggests trying a few ads, if only for the information retrieved), Google Analytics (reports number of visits, time on site, number of pages visited, bounce rate), Compete.com (degree of competition associated with various search terms), and [...] (what sites and search terms are driving visitors to your site). [...] and others can help alert marketers to PR disasters in the making before they get too far.

Must reading, and ownership for any marketer.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 19, 2010
A great overview of how businesses can leverage search engine optimization, pay per click and social media tactics as their business and marketing strategy. The book details not just what search engines are looking for, but how you can leverage data and analytics to better promote your business with greater opportunities to be found in search engines or online communities via online marketing tactics. I consider this book as a must have for anyone just getting into marketing or needs to familiarize themselves with SEO and/or online marketing.
on November 13, 2010
I thought this would be built more for the small business model.
Instead there is alot of talk of having a board of directors that understands e-marketing and advice for your tech department.
I am my tech department.
I liked the links to how to find how similar sites are found, what keywords might work better and how they operate, But it does not seem to be written for single employee entreprenuers.
on May 29, 2010
It amazes me: businesses big and small are allocating increasing amounts of coin to an assortment of internet related initiatives without having their heads around the basics of search engine dynamics (and I'm not talking about cheap and fast SEO 'trickery'). What Vanessa Fox has so effectively achieved with this book is to provide anyone interested - and anyone running an organisation should be - with a systematic framework to incorporate search into their tactical and strategic decision making fabric. Knowing thy customer has long been a business imperative - and so why would anyone pass up on a free peek into Google's treasure trove of historical and live search data? And why would anybody not want to know how to rank well on a wide and deep range of directly related search queries, land qualified traffic onto their online properties, to then drive these leads through to ready and waiting calls to action? Beats me. This hints at a more fundamental problem - people don't know what they don't know. This book - more a guide really - is a business gem. Read it and then you'll know.
on May 10, 2010
So much of marketing is focused on the company broadcasting out in the hope of bumping into a potential customer. Meanwhile there are 18 billion individual 'Broadcasts' each month from people who want your help.

Ms. Fox also talks about how online search drives offline purchases and I really learned a lot from the section that discussed using search data as marketing research. She says:

"Search data is the greatest form of market research there is. If the marketers job is to discern wants & needs and then fulfill them...then studying behavior is way more valuable than studying what people think is the right answer when they take a survey."

We also love that the core message here supports exactly what we help with here @ Compendium. Check out this line from the book:

"For most searches, the home page is not the entry point. Any page can be the entry page. We have to rethink our approach to site design and user interaction based on the new world."
on October 9, 2012
There are very few books I would recommend reading on SEO, primarily because the best content out there is on blogs. Vanessa Fox's book is one of those rare exceptions. This is one of the most important books you could ever buy on search engine optimization. Highly recommended!
on August 14, 2010
This book is excellent. It really covers so much in a short amount of time and I was fascinated from the start. I particularly liked the discussion of paid vs organic searchers and the value of each and have a richer insight into just how we all search . For example Vanessa Fox details some really interesting research about how people look more to the left side of the Google results page than the right. I found this insightful as many sponsored links from PPC appear on the right.

At that point I thought okay no more PPC but Fox continues exploring this concept, highlighting the pros and cons and delves into each in some detail. I have a reasonable understanding of internet marketing but was pleasantly surprised with just how Fox covers.

Sometimes you read a book and think boring... how many different ways can someone say the same thing. This is not that book!!! Fox uses many graphs and pictures which add to understanding the discussions (I suppose that saying a picture tells a thousand words is true!).

Perhaps the most powerful aspect of this book (for me) isn't just the strategies (i.e. use internet marketing, its the way of the future etc as anyone can say that), it is Fox simple yet effective way of providing steps with how to implement the strategies in your own business and/or marketing role. I finished this book believing I too can be successful online. That's a good thing!

The author also discusses many tools which can be used in your online strategy including, Google Trends, Adwords and others and provides clear examples of how these can be integrated into strategies. If you're thing 'yeah I've read all this before bla bla bla' then think again. Fox's discussion about Google Trends, Keywords and the techniques anyone can use to gather competitive intelligence, increase their SEO and drives sales truly was impressive.

If you want to know more about search engine marketing this is a great addition to anyone's library.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
So, I'm in the biz, and even I didn't 'get it' when it comes to search engine marketing. And this is after countless presentations at conferences, reading tons of stuff online, etc. Maybe I'm just dense, or maybe I just needed someone like Vanessa Fox to clarify what SEO is, how it works, why I should care, and exactly what I can do about it to help my business (and my clients' businesses) in plain old ordinary language. With actual examples that make sense.

Sure, I'm biased. I contributed a little info on personas for the book. But I've got to tell you, I got way more out of this book than I put it. I've learned more from Vanessa's book--actual, practical methods that tie in perfectly with user experience--than I've learned from any other book I've read in the past few years.

You'll love this if you are a marketer who has to worry about SEO (and you all do).
You'll get a huge amount out of it whether or not you already know anything about SEO and SEM.
You'll get a brand new perspective if you are a user experience person (because guess what? the conversation you are trying to establish with your users and customers starts waaaay before they arrive at your site!).
You'll become a savvy consumer of SEO tools and services.

So really, just buy it already. Seriously.
on May 5, 2010
This book is a pleasure to read.

One of the most daunting challenges people in the search marketing industry have is to simply explain what their work involves to people from other walks of life. When asked what they are working on, organic search marketers respond in simple industry terms like canonicalization, redirects, meta data, and the like. Simple to them, but unintelligible to anyone else.

This book is written for business people who use, or would like to use, search marketing to promote their businesses. It's for people who wish they understood how organic search really works, how Google drives traffic, and how online marketing fits into all aspects of their business.

I've been sending copies of this book to many non-technical business executives.

While it's an easy read, it's chock full of important information and perspective. I've been telling friends of mine in the search marketing industry to read one, and buy one extra to give to a business person they respect.