4.0 out of 5 stars Great advice with a few issues
I am a strong fan of the Dummies series. I'm not fond of the name - none of us should feel like a Dummy - but the information is good quality and takes you through step by step. This Marketing book is no exception.

Published on October 12, 2009 by Lisa Shea

3.0 out of 5 stars Just okay
this book is informative however the information is out dated and therefore not a "GREAT" resource. I found it helpful but I needed to do extra research to get the most out of the information offered.
Published on September 27, 2011 by Peanut09

4.0 out of 5 stars Great advice with a few issues, October 12, 2009
This review is from: Marketing For Dummies (Paperback)

There are many examples in here to help you understand their message. For example, use all means at your disposal to get your message out. T-shirts. Car signs. Press releases, targeted at buyers, not at journalists. Fill the releases with "five tips for ..." to give people concrete advice.

Your sales are made both with logic and emotion, so make sure you appeal to both sides. Explain the factual reasons that your item makes perfect sense, but also help the client to feel good about their choice. Coach them along the path, offering trial runs if possible. Maintain good relations with all your customers, even the tough ones. That grumpy customer who you ignore could easily become your strongest anti-marketing messenger, going around and spreading the word about how awful you are.

Along the same path, the customer is always right. Don't blame them, even if you're upset. Do your very best to resolve the situation and, if nothing else, leave them with the sense that they were always treated with professional calm.

In tough economic times, it can be tempting to slash prices. That creates a downward spiral that, in many cases, does not help much. Instead, compete on brilliance. Show why you are worth every penny and how your quality pays for itself. Even in rough times, people still splurge on items that are important.

Make sure your message is clear and focused. Quadruple check it for any typos or errors. Only send ONE message, don't annoy your audience with repeats. Make sure you market things you do WELL - if you spread yourself too thin, your reputation will suffer and that will affect everything you do. Always target your message exactly at one group of buyers.

Make sure you know why people choose you. What makes you distinctive?

There's a lot of good material here. You have to read wisely, though. Not all of the advice is spot-on. The book says that a full page ad in a magazine isn't as economical as a half page ad - but then later it says if you're pinching pennies to get the full page ad. Huh? It says NOT to buy any "already owned" domain name - but I know many cases where someone did that and the small cost to the current owner was well worth it, to get the wonderfully perfect name.

Still, there is a lot of good information in here. Focus on your product's strengths and play them up. Fill your pages with research, how-tos, information. Become a resource and then people will find you naturally. They will realize the great products you offer once they are there. Offer testimonials. Put your logo on everything you give away, send freebies to good customers. Network. Compliment your customers.

In the same breath they recommend all companies let their visitors rate their products freely. I realize this might be a great fit for some companies - maybe a pen vendor who has 100 different pens. If a certain pen gets poorly rated, they can just stop carrying it. But what if you're a glass blower who makes unique works? You could have a disgruntled customer who breaks their item and comes on your site to complain, and now your page permanently carries her rant. This is a feature that needs a great deal of thought before it goes into operation.

One of their most important messages is the most simple. Find ways to be happy. It will reflect in everything you do, in every interaction with potential clients and long term customers. This one basic change can make a huge difference in your entire system.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, September 12, 2012
This book works great if you already have a business that you are practicing or are in the beginning stages of starting. This book has exercises, questions to think about and is a great addition to have to your marketing team. I am actually in a college principles of marketing class currently and yet everything that I'm learning in class, I have already learned from the book. If you are serious about launching an effective marketing campaign, you should purchase this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for excellent marketers-to-be :), July 26, 2011
This review is from: Marketing For Dummies (Paperback)
I'm a weird hybrid of a graphic designer and a marketer. Usually graphic designers don't like meddling into marketing world but as in my country an artist is not very well valued I just HAD to learn about Marketing and I like it :) I think I have natural skills and being a GD is just a great plus! Normally Marketers are not GD's and it becomes a problem because a Marketer has to handle graphic material almost all the time! So for me it is pretty convenient hehe :D

Now I ordered this book because sometimes one can forget about some very important things in this wide world of Marketing. A. HIam gives you just the tips to improve your skills and working with plans that actually work.

He states the main subjects very easy to understand and also in a very practical way.

I believe this book is not for beginners, nor for pro's. I think it is just for us average Marketers who want to improve a lot and then moving on on harder books. I say it is not for beginners (despite the title "for dummies") because it starts telling you things you must pre-know before actually reading this.

I would say it is almost like a great companion for everyday marketers who need once in a while a reminder of what is left to do and what could be improved.

5.0 out of 5 stars It is what it is, September 28, 2010
This review is from: Marketing For Dummies (Paperback)
The book is exactly what the title would have you believe. Covering marketing in length, not just advertising, the book is a good read for those who wish to give their small business a little extra edge.

5.0 out of 5 stars Marketing, June 22, 2014
This is an excellent book. Written especially for the budding entrepreneur and also for the business men that think that they know it all just like myself. Going back to basics and understanding that what worked or was the norm yesterday is out of sync today in our ever changing world. This is why Marketing is sooooooooooooooo exciting and guaranteed never to be boring. This book is not just for Dummies it is to keep us current and to be vigilant and on the go 24/7.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really great books, May 1, 2014
I wrk on it and I am still working because it is rich and simple and good enough for a total newbie like me to start understanding how things work and how I could make it work for myself.

4.0 out of 5 stars Skimming the surface, April 17, 2014
This review is from: Marketing For Dummies (Paperback)
This book is like skipping a rock across the top of a pond. It does break the surface here and there but not too deep, and it covers a lot of ground in the process. It might help to refresh or it might cover enough to introduce the idea to a new comer, so they know what they might want to focus on.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, January 12, 2014
This review is from: Marketing For Dummies (Paperback)
This has helped me to understand the marketing better and more easier to understand. Perfect book for beginners. Would recommended it to everyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars For my son so I can't comment on the content of the book., November 9, 2013
P. Price (Bloomington, IN USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Marketing For Dummies (Paperback)
This is a gift for my son so I can't really comment on the quality of the book but it arrived quickly and the cost was good so I'm pleased.

5.0 out of 5 stars Useful, September 7, 2013
This review is from: Marketing For Dummies (Paperback)
I liked the comprehensive gazette style. I will not use everything, the list is a good overall reminder. It is also a good independent guide to inspire deeper thinking among the team in our small company. It does not give magic; the reader still has lots of work to do, yet it is a useful base to organize our activities.

Marketing For Dummies
Marketing For Dummies by Alexander Hiam (Paperback - October 5, 2009)
Used & New from: $3.28