5.0 out of 5 stars The perfect companion!
Published on May 15, 2012 by Carol Franco

3.0 out of 5 stars Paris Markets
This book was interesting introduction to the markets of Paris. I did like that it listed markets by arrondismonts however I wish it also had an index by day of the week so if you had a free day you would know who or where a market was on that day and or time. We found we missed markets becaused we didnt know ahead of time what market was open what day. Overall all a...
Published 16 months ago by Marshall

5.0 out of 5 stars The perfect companion!, May 15, 2012
This review is from: Markets of Paris, 2nd Edition: Food, Antiques, Crafts, Books, and More (Paperback)
I'd been to Paris many times and thought I'd gotten to know the city pretty well. But when I saw this charming little book in my local bookstore and bought it, I discovered a Paris I'd never known existed. Pocket-sized and easy to tote around, The Markets of Paris offers a glimpse of Paris rarely seen by tourists and often overlooked or even unknown to some Parisians. Organized around the 20 arrondissements for easy planning, it captures the unique qualities of each market in photos and text, whether your interest is in food, clothing, antiques, crafts, books, or legendary flea markets. It's the perfect companion! No one visiting - or living in - Paris should be without this guide. I can't wait to return, and see a Paris I've missed all these years.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun and Informative, May 24, 2012
I found Markets of Paris to be very well organized and informative. Having lived there, I know how difficult it can be to understand the
arrondissements/areas of the city. Dixon and Williams not only give the reader a wide selection of markets, but also include excellent visuals.
Two maps, one in the front of the book and the other in the back are relevant and very helpful. Their writing is succinct and flavorful. The photos are colorful and fun to look at. Lastly they give important advice and hints to help you if you're eating out in Paris or want something to do on a Sunday. Bravo!

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE the 2nd edition!, May 21, 2012
The new additon of MARKETS OF PARIS has many endearing features.
For one it's lighter weight thanks to thiner weight paper, so you can take it with you yet there are 50 more pages.
There are maps fore and aft in the front pages missing in the 2006 edition.
It's much more user-friendly organized by area (arrondissement) rather than Paris Center-Left Bank-North-West etc.
In the back of the book there's an OPEN ON SUNDAY list that is invaluable.
Altogether a very useful book worth throwing in your suitcase.

4.0 out of 5 stars Needs Kindle edition, July 8, 2012
Barbara G. Young (North Aurora, IL USA) - See all my reviews
The only thing that would make it better is a Kindle edition for my iPhone so I don't have to carry the book around when visiting Paris. I'd buy it again electronically. So please click the "request Kindle edition" link.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful little guide!, May 18, 2012
Loved it! This is a very reliable guide for the great markets of Paris, plus restaurant recommendations. The directions are great, the photos and organization of the book makes it very easy to use. It was wonderful to have the history of the places that we visited, it enriched all our adventures. Without this guide we would have walked past the wonderful passages that we enjoyed so much. It is a little treasure!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Resource, August 6, 2012
If you are a lover of Paris markets, and even if you aren't, this is a must-have book. It is small enough to put in your purse and carry with you wherever the Metro might take you. I discovered new and different markets on my visit this year and I especially like Marche Raspail which carries organic products on Sunday (along with some of the best sugar-free cookies). You will become a lover of all things Paris and wonderful market places with this small book.

4.0 out of 5 stars GREAT, BUT COULD HAVE BEEN PERFECT, October 17, 2012
william poole (WILLOUGHBY, OH, US) - See all my reviews
I agree with each positive review I have read about this guide. But what could have been the best guide to Paris markets and a source of captivating facts suffers from a decision which considerably impairs its usefulness. This weakness has been mentioned in at least one of the negative reviews.

The texts are excellent: informative, colorful, and detailed. The photography is stunning. Graphic illustrations are superior. Unfortunately, an apparent attempt to make the size of the volume convenient for travelers has resulted in the use of a spidery lightface font of such small size as to make it extremely difficult if not nearly impossible to consult while walking, riding on a bus or the Metro, in a taxi or just in low light. It's a shame, because the content of this little guide is exceptional and the authors are to be congratulated for their labors. I lived in Paris, have visited many of the markets covered, and co-authored a series of guidebooks to Paris hotels and restaurants so I know how equally important this little guide is to both the traveler and to a resident and how much effort it took to prepare it. Note: I have seen only the second edition and do not know if the first edition may have had a more readable font.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cool little book, July 12, 2012
A must have pocket companion for your next trip to Paris. Has good descriptions and info on Parisian markets spread across all arrondissements with a few scattered photo's to keep you hooked and looking for more.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Guide To the Real Paris, July 25, 2012
This is a great little book in every way. A pleasure to hold, easy to carry, fun to read, a guide to the real Paris of today and its people. A friend gave it to me and next time I'm in Paris I'm heading straight for the book and paper market Le Marche aux Vieux Papiers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful way to see Paris with children, May 23, 2012
Susan Winickoff (CAMBRIDGE, MA, US) - See all my reviews
This lovely book was our go-to guide on a recent trip to Paris. We rented an apartment for a week and went to different markets on several days to buy yummy things for the several meals we had at home. Looking through the book and choosing the markets to go to and then visiting them was a highlight of the trip for our almost 11year old grandson, second only to the Eiffel Tower as a trip favorite. We found the book to be well-organized and easy to use, and the information up-to-the-minute.

That said, this book is also great fun to browse through even if you have no immediate plans to visit Paris. The photos are lovely and the descriptions of all the things available are engaging and tantalizing. I'm buying several copies for gifts.

Markets of Paris, 2nd Edition: Food, Antiques, Crafts, Books, and More