5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely marvelous!
Published on June 24, 1999 by KCNAZ

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor service -- very poor follow-up.
As part of a $250.00 order, I ordered the Michelin France Provence map in English, and the Michelin 2006 Red Guide France: Hotels and Restaurants in English - both Items they sent me were written in French, which are of no value to me. I requested a shipping label to return the map and the book and asked they send me the English versions. The Amazon Outsourcing Desk in...
Published on August 28, 2006 by Ike Chappell

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely marvelous!, June 24, 1999
This review is from: Markets of Provence: A Culinary Tour of Southern France (Hardcover)
My cousin and I just returned from a 9-day trip to Southern France. Our highlights can all be found in this wonderful book. We met Henri Tomas and taste-tested and approved the Galette specialty of the house; taste-tested and brought back many bottles of wine from Chateau La Canorgue. We followed the suggestions and pretty much made the rounds to all of the sites. Our last evening in Provence, we sampled the goat cheese, bread from Henri Tomas' patisserie and the wine...we added our own Picheline olives and fresh market tomatoes to make our meal complete...what a last supper to have in France. Joy of Life, Indeed!!!!!! Thanks for making our trip a 10++++++.

5.0 out of 5 stars you can almost smell the lavender, May 17, 2000
By A Customer
This excellent book was in the kitchen of a house we rented a couple of years ago in Caromb, northeast of Avignon. Not only were the lists of daily markets invaluable, but the recipe for quails with spring onions on tapenade-covered croutons, for example, allowed us to make good use of local products. (With all those fabulous tapenades available at market, I did not make my own, as the recipe suggests.) Patricia Wells's introduction reminds you of her own invaluable guides to food throughout France, and her inspiration and influence are apparent throughout the book -- the level of knowledge, enthusiasm, and appreciation for the wonders of Provençal food is engaging and contagious. The illustrations remind you of places you've been away from too long and get the juices flowing for a return visit for markets you missed the last time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect For Trips Or Just Some Dreaming..........., July 29, 2000
If you or anyone you know plans a trip to Provence, make sure this book goes too! It is an excellent guide to the wonderful Provencal outdoor markets. If you want to experience Provence at its finest, this is one of the very best guide.
Full of gorgeous color photos, this is a beautiful as well as helpful book. After the trip, it is wonderful to go through the book again and savor all of the great memories. For the finest produce, cheese and other delights of the South, this book is a must have!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful! A tour of Provence even when you can't travel., May 25, 2005
This book is a lovely guide for those who plan to travel to Provence as well as those who cannot. It is lovely - just lovely. Beautiful photographs, wonderful insights and descriptions off the beaten path. I high recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sure, it is a "tourist book"..., October 2, 2008
...but isn't that what most of us have been from time to time? And this one is not so much a guide as a wonderful enticement to enjoy one of the best aspects (the food) of one of the loveliest places on earth. The central theme is that it is possible to enjoy a market each day of the week, by moving from town to town in Provence. The seven markets that are covered are in Cadenet, La Tour D'Aigues, Saint-Remy, Aix, Bonnieux, Apt, and L'Isle-sur-la-Sorgue. About half of the 130 pages are pictures, a few "snap-shots" that capture the action, most are carefully composed, and a few are truly evocative, like the basin of Cucuron on page 30. Each picture saves those proverbial 1000 words

The book commences with a forward by Patricia Wells, the indomitable former food editor of the International Herald Tribune. The style of writing is fashioned for the tourist, struggling with strange French words, and concepts. There are numerous recipes, so that those with their own facilities can enjoy their purchases in delightful consumption. There are other sidebars that explain unique aspects of the country, such as the bread, truffles, Provencal fabrics, pottery, etc. There are several practical appendixes which cover other markets, seasonal specialties, typical foods, with the French explained, useful phrases, a conversion chart, a glossary, a listing of selected restaurants, and a brief suggested reading list.

I've been to the markets in five of these seven towns, have enjoyed them all, and feel that their description in the book captures their spirit accurately. My next to favorite market is the one in L'Isle-sur-la-Sorgue, where I have been innumerable times. The picture of the Café De France on page 115 brings back many memories, of having a beer with the boys "while the women finish." And it evokes anticipation... I'll be there again in a few days. The very best part of the book though is its omission! My very favorite market, a gentle 300 meter stroll from the gite we rent - may its relative obscurity remain, as well as the lack of cameras and English. `Cause you only go around once in life...

5.0 out of 5 stars A gem for the traveler to Provence, armchair or otherwise., September 24, 2014
If you are taking trip to Provence, or simply wish to, this book is a gem. The focus of the book is the specific area of Provence that is north of Marseille, primarily around where Durance river flows into the Rhone, so if you are looking for market towns in the eastern mountain or coastal regions of Provence, you will not find them here. What you will find here is a depth of information on these markets that I have not found in any other guidebook.

The chapters are divided into days of the week with each day featuring a different market town. The specialties of each market are in a heading at the top of the chapter so you know exactly what to look for. The markets are so fully described that you will feel as though you can navigate them like a native. Every page spread has at least one beautiful photo (usually several more) and there are recipes throughout. The recipes are accessible, with ingredients that can be found almost anywhere in the US, especially in the larger cities. Although some of those ingredients may lack the vibrancy of taste as those you would find in a Provencal market, the spirit of the recipes comes through. Tomatoes Provençal with Anchovy Persillade, for example, is a simple way to take any perfectly ripened tomato to a sublime new level in the way that is so typical to Provence.

At the back of the book, there is additional information, including listings of restaurants and other places of interest, a glossary of market terms (English-French) and, my favorite, a page of phrases to use in the markets.

In sum, this is a wonderful book with a wealth of helpful information, beautiful photographs and fun recipes to try, packed into just over 100 pages.

5.0 out of 5 stars the market life, July 26, 2013
My wife bought this book for me before my(our) first trip to Europe in 1998. After reading I was so enraptured with the idea of market towns I plotted our route for our two weeks in Provence by market days. We have returned to Provence 5 times since and always use this book as a guide. We have had picnics at the old Roman bridge below Bonnieux with superb wine bought at Chateau Canorgue, made famous by the film "A Good Year", bought antiques at Isle-sur-la sorgue, bed spreads, olive wood utensils and table linens at St. Remy. My special coup at the Apt market day was finding seed packs for Charentais melons and also ochre powder just like the Romans used, mined locally, to paint some of our walls. There is an African fellow from Senegal at Isle who has a food wagon. He makes the best Senegalese chicken stew dishes you ever tasted. As the book forward says, little changes from year to year in the pulse of the markets, so if you buy Markets of Provence in 2013 and beyond almost everything will still be fresh and accurate!!

5.0 out of 5 stars helpful, accurate, up to date guide, January 14, 1999
By A Customer
My husband and I went on a romantic 3-week vacation to Provence in 1997. We used this guide daily, like a Bible, to select towns and markets to visit. We found it more up to date, helpful, and accurate than any of the others guidebooks we had with us. The authors told us what was of interest in each town, what were the best and most interesting foods to sample in each market, and who were the nicest vendors. When we return to Provence next we will rent a house so we can actually shop in the markets and then cook the food at home. We enjoyed the book so much we bought it as a gift for another couple planning a trip to the region. I bought it for one of my best clients who went to Provence soon after my husband and I returned. She loved it as much as we did. She passed it along to an English couple she met and they used it daily as well. We hope the authors will continue to update the information and add more recipes in future editions.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Year in Provence, December 26, 2008
"Markets of Provence" is a delightful coffee table book/cookbook exploring France's southern Provencale region. It gives travelers tips for finding the seasonal markets,as well as the right ingredients. There is an emphasis on fresh fruits and vegetables that are in season. The dishes tend to be earthy,peasant food. There's ratatouille,the signature dish of Provence,along with piperade,the egg/vegetable omelette that's actually from the Basques. It's a joyous exploration of food and culture. Bon appetit!

5.0 out of 5 stars If you cannot get there, get the book, September 4, 2013
Allie C (Saint Paul, MN United States) - See all my reviews
This book was introduced to me by a friend while we were, luckily enough, renting a lovely home in Provence and visiting all those wonderful markets. I bought the book after my 3rd visit to the region, and now have my own copy to read and dream about those beautiful places, as I count down to the next visit. It is a magical region. The markets are just wonderful and the book so does justice to this special place and all those farmers, food producers, who are part of the Markets of Provence.

Markets of Provence: A Culinary Tour of Southern France
Markets of Provence: A Culinary Tour of Southern France by Dixon Long (Hardcover - April 19, 1996)
Used & New from: $0.01