5.0 out of 5 stars Really Understanding Mark
The bible is more complex than most people realize or care to admit. This book really goes deep into full meaning from the history of first century Jewish faith. This book is a must. You will never go back and read Mark the same way. This book increased my knowledge and therefore ended up increasing my appreciation of Jesus (And Mark).
Published on March 21, 2002 by moe armstrong

3.0 out of 5 stars Over-Complicated Book
Kelber digs down too far to try to find information in the Gospel of Mark that doesn't exist.
It's a great example of how not to analyse a passage or Gospel, or what happens when passages are chosen to support a claim, while other passages that challenge the claim are ignored or discarded.
For example, if Mark was was not historical but very theological (as...
Published 3 months ago by John

5.0 out of 5 stars Really Understanding Mark, March 21, 2002
moe armstrong (Cambridge, MA United States) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book Which Presents Mark Afresh, February 16, 2005
TexasHockeyFan (Houston, TX United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mark's Story of Jesus (Paperback)
I've enjoyed this book immensely. It presents Mark from a different view than you get in the typical adult Sunday School or Wednesday evening class in that it forces you to look upon the story as a whole, not just a series of unrelated stories about Jesus. The historical background is also welcome as it allows one to better understand Mark (whoever he actually was) and his audience.

As was mentioned elsewhere, I could see where some fundamentalists/evangelicals might have problems with the book, though for mainline Protestants and Catholics this will be a gem of a book!

3.0 out of 5 stars Over-Complicated Book, April 30, 2014
This review is from: Mark's Story of Jesus (Paperback)
For example, if Mark was was not historical but very theological (as Kelber states) document, then Mark can be completely discarded as a historical document. But we have historical evidence in and apart from Mark that can be used to show that Mark does have some historical significance.
In summary, the book does make interesting and insightful points, but uses them to come to a conclusion that (in my opinion) is not what the author of Mark had in mind.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mark's Story of Jesus, October 6, 2012
Mark's Story of Jesus is a great resource in which to invest. When Year B comes around I am excited because I have this resource from which to draw. It is important to me to maintain the integrity of any gospel text. This book helps keep me within the context of Mark's story. If I am preaching from Mark I like to stay with Mark. Kelber helps me do this by keeping me framed within the text. After using Kelber's book, I find myself preaching with more confidence. Thank you for this great resource.

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible, July 21, 2014
John Herrick (S. Pasadena, FL, US) - See all my reviews
Nothing learned here, just some babble about how the disciples do not go to heaven because they did not understand Jesus. A waste of time and money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mark's Story of Jesus, January 17, 2012
This review is from: Mark's Story of Jesus (Paperback)
Excellent resource material. I enjoyed it so much I have sent it as a gift to others. A practical resource for any Christian, nondenominational, Roman Catholic, Orthodox , or Protestant or anyone doing historical research.

5.0 out of 5 stars "Mark's Story of Jesus" is a Solid Analysis by Dr. Kelber, September 22, 2012
This review is from: Mark's Story of Jesus (Paperback)
I was a student of Dr. Kelber's in the 70's at Rice University. His course pertaining to Mark's Gospel was the subject of a seminar I took at that time. This work, now in print, highlights the concrete analysis and exercise of redaction criticism Dr. Kelber required of his students. Great reading and truly insightful.

Mark's Story of Jesus
Mark's Story of Jesus by Werner H. Kelber (Paperback - April 1, 1979)
$19.00 $16.96