5.0 out of 5 stars one more shot,one more shot,one more shot
Published on October 25, 2011 by geezer

2.0 out of 5 stars The rifle and both barrels are a waste of pellets and time.
Published 9 months ago by red head

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars one more shot,one more shot,one more shot, October 25, 2011
This review is from: Marksman 1073 Grizzly X2 DC Air (Sports)
I was surprised at how solid this rifle is. At walmart last week it was $10 bucks less than the Ruger .177 cal available (I have and love several Ruger firearms and am not saying that the Ruger isn`t a good buy)and has the .22 barrel AND when looking at the both of them the Beeman seemed to have nicer workmanship and a better stock. I was concerned that the trigger might not be usable and had a return in mind with sales slip retained for likely use. Won`t need it though with the trigger being surprisingly light (after some slack is taken up). I had read a few reviews noting how some buyers hated this and that model of air gun while others loved the accuracy etc. The idea that one takes breaking in, requires some faith and those used to pulling a new .22 out of it`s box and punching one big hole will be bummed out at first. I`m about 150 shots in now and it feels good having it come around with groups appearing at all and then getting smaller. At this rate rodent heads or peta approved targets (if there is such a thing) should be a piece of cake at 50 feet or so. As it breaks in I`ll try better brand pellets than the crossman I got for cheap and see if that makes a difference as some claim. I put blue thread sealer on when hooking up the scope which just makes good sense. I still haven`t tried out the .22 barrel which will require resighting the scope. That would be a problem for some folk. If you love to shoot and have gone through tons of powder reloading for all sorts of guns for a few decades then the joy of rediscovering simple, basic, fun might just make sense. This rifle doesn`t replace anything I had. Cocking takes a pretty good pull but with one smooth pull till it clicks one arm will do it with the buttplate on a leg for most men. At $98 it isn`t the $500 model and a corner or two had to be cut somewhere. The adjustable sights work (ed) but are really cheap plastic. The trigger guard is plastic but not bad. The 4 power scope and rings that come with it work and adjusted as it should. The basic stock,trigger,barrel(s) etc. stand out as trying just a little bit harder than the competition. I wouldn`t want anyone playing with one of these who shouldn`t use a .22 rimfire. The penetration of even a dinky pellet at 1000fps would cause real injury if not respected and used as one would a firearm. Would I buy this gun again? Yes. - Here is an update after going through7 or 8 hundred shots. I put the .22 barrel on and found that it really needs to have the set screw sealed in with blue sealer. Follow through with the shots is important (more so than with like a Remington 7oo etc.) pretend that it is a flintlock and the rifle is truly accurate now. .22 pellets blow through a one inch pine board or the chest of a large squirrel.I liked the rifle before but like it even more after seeing how it comes around and breaks in. Stocked up in pellets since this rifle is a winner and hard to lay down.

4.0 out of 5 stars Be careful what you pay, June 25, 2012
This review is from: Marksman 1073 Grizzly X2 DC Air (Sports)
This air rifle is great but pay attention to where you buy it and how much you pay. This made in China Beeman with two barrels is sold under a bunch of different names. It's known as the "Walmart Beeman" because you can get it there for around 115 bucks. And, yeah, it's worth it, particularly if you can't decide between .177 caliber and .22 or you have reason to switch between the two for different types of shooting.

But before you automatically go and buy this at Walmart, there are differences in what you get depending on where you get it. The gun I got at Walmart, boxed as the Grizzly x2, doesn't include the carrying case that you get in some of the online deals. Worse than that, it seems that it has a cheaper trigger than what is described on the one previously sold as the rs2 and still available at Pyramydair for around 135. If you really want to make this a tight shooter, you're almost certainly going to adjust the trigger and the 'Grizzly' version isn't as adjustable. I'm doing ok getting used to the trigger after lightening the main tension spring but it doesn't allow you to adjust the length of the second stage of trigger pull. It's a long squeeze and hard to feel the break point. Between the missing case and the missing adjustment on the trigger, I'm wishing I'd paid the extra twenty bucks and stayed out of Walmart.

It is fun to shoot and surprisingly comfortable for such a long rifle. I've only had it for about a week or so and I've switched out the barrels a couple of times. After tweeking the sights I can definitely hit a target in either caliber. I don't have any instruments for measuring fps or anything but this definitely hits harder than my old Crossman pump that was known to be deadly on small critters. This thing is powerful. Just judging by the damage it does to what it hits, it seems comparable to my dad's older German made pneumatic in terms of how much power it delivers to a target. My impression is that a .22 hunting pellet at moderate range on a varmint would be devastating. And that power put into a high quality .177 pellet could make for really sweet long range shots. I haven't even gotten into using the scope yet. I've always enjoyed open sight shooting and until the gun settles in I doubt it will be at its full potential for accuracy anyway.

As for settling in, I've dealt with a lot of dieseling; smoke coming out of the barrel after every shot. It's caused by oil particles igniting from pressure in the chamber and there was definitely a lot of excess oil from the factory. After a couple of hundred shots, that has mostly gone away. The gun is quieter and I can hit a dime sized dot over and over (short range in my garage- about thirty feet) shooting free hand standing with open sights. Next I'll try the scope and shoot with some support at longer range to see just how consistent it is. I should probably wait to give it five stars until after I've done that but it feels so good being able to keep hitting the target as I am now that I already really like the gun. The fact that I'm switching back and forth between .22 and .177 and hitting in both calibers seems too good to be true for the price.

Be warned, the gun doesn't come with much information. If you're not familiar with spring loaded air rifles, read up on them if you're getting this gun. Check pyramydair.com and Beeman's site for starters. And know that you have to do some maintenance when you get this. It comes pretty gunked up from the factory so I cleaned the bores of both barrels right away and wiped away excess grease from around the seals. And it might seem like it shoots all over the place because the recoil will jangle screws loose once you start shooting. The barrel screw came loose on mine a bunch of times, especially when I was shooting .22 caliber. Use blue threadlocker (Loctite) on it and crank it down. There are also screws under each of the plastic caps on the stock that shook loose and I had to cinch those down. For good measure I tightened the two on the trigger guard as well.

This is not a simple gun to own. There are probably a lot of people who would feel the screws shaking loose and just think it's a piece of junk. It's not. This is just how you get a powerful, good looking air gun with barrels in two calibers for so little money.

4.0 out of 5 stars Backyard killer, November 6, 2011
This review is from: Marksman 1073 Grizzly X2 DC Air (Sports)
I bought this yesterday to replace my ailing Crossman 1377 .177 cal pump air pistol. That venerable weapon has claimed many varmits and pests over the years but wanted to move up to a .22 or .25 caliber. I went for the two caliber version but I would not do that again after seeing the power of the .22 (skip the .177), I will never use the .177. First impressions are that this beast is huge, heavy and looked like it was designed for a Viking named Grimm Barrelcocker. The wood was nice but bulky, the barrel and metal works seemed well made, the plastic rear adjustable sight was disappointing. Its heavy at 9lbs, it is long at 45.5inches. What surprised me most was the pull length, standard pull on a rifle is 13.5" this monster measured 14.5"!!! Definitely not for shorter people or a youth gun. Recoil is significant a little like a 223 center fire.
I am 6'-2" 225lbs and this was fine for me but a slight built person or youth would not do well with this monster. Almost 45lbs of effort to cock the barrel. The best technique is to break the action and then do an inertial effort for the final motion. The machined scope rail mounts did not seem to be correct they had a taper that was narrower in the front and wider in the rear. I had to mount the scope forward more than I would have liked. The comb height is more comfortable with a scope, a bit high for open sights. Scope seemed good, clear and easy to adjust. Accuracy was acceptable about 2" groups at 30yards, I sighted in at 45 yards which gave me about a 2" mid range trajectory and effective point blank to 60 yards.
The power was amazing punching through my 1/2" pine back stop like butter at 40 yards, in comparison the pump pistol with pellets just dented the board at 25 yards.

Pros: nice fit and finish, awesome power, acce[ptable scope, multi caliber, good price, decent accuracy, good hunting rifle.
Cons: too big, heavy, hard to handle for a youth or slight person, not a target gun, made in China (sigh

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!!, June 22, 2012
This review is from: Marksman 1073 Grizzly X2 DC Air (Sports)
I picked this rifle up at Walmart for $114 just the other day for pest control. It took a little bit of finesse to get the scope mounted due to the way the rail is made, (wide deep groves on the back side, shallow narrowing grooves on the front) but overall it wasn't to horribly difficult. I was extremely surprised at the bulk of the rifle when I pulled it out of the box. It is much heavier than I expected and from a distance I could imagine that it could easily be mistaken as a .22 rim-fire. The cocking action will take me a little while to get used to but as the users manual states, it takes a "knack" and once you get it down its easy. The scope seems solid enough and the glass is crystal clear. I took it out the day after I bought it, (right out of the box) without sighting in the scope, and shot the squirrel that has been living in my roof for the last 4 months. I would defiantly buy another one, and would definitely recommend this air rifle. This is most definitely NOT a toy!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars G-R-R-R-E-A-T !!!, July 22, 2012
This review is from: Marksman 1073 Grizzly X2 DC Air (Sports)
UPDATE: Got this at Wally's for $114 on a whim. It took about 200 or so rounds to break in. You WILL need blue Loctite to keep the barrel screws in place. I put about 1500 rnds through her now and I can do .5 inch groups or better in my basement 10 meter competition range - offhand, and the same hole cloverleafs from a benchrest!. I was also surprised at how well this gun performs outside. Consistent X-ring at 50 yards!
I found that my gun does not like the pointed or domed pellets, so I shoot wadcutters and "hollow points" almost exclusively. Good looking, and has a nice heft to it, no problem with the trigger for me, but I did replace the scope with a Barska 2-7x32 airgun scope. Like another review said - its hard to put it down once you find that sweet spot and I'm stocking up on my pellets too! Would definitely buy again!

5.0 out of 5 stars I hope i don't make anybody mad. But a very helpful tip for break action airguns at least, July 11, 2012
This review is from: Marksman 1073 Grizzly X2 DC Air (Sports)
I just bought this new in box from Walmart in Fountain Valley, PRK California for $89 on sale...haven't shot it yet. I'm glad to see all the favorable reviews, clearly lots of people are in love with this neat little gun. .177 is too small and i always wanted a .22 pellet now i have both which is great.
The wood stock is of very high quality. The action is made in China and feels cheap when you cock it but the proof is in the shooting.
HELPFUL HINT FOR break action air guns: You can cock it all you want, for barrel inspection, seal lubing etc. A guy in the gun store showed me this trick to decock. Grab the barrel (broken open) with your free hand. Disengage the safety (on this gun you just flip it forward with your trigger finger). Maintain a firm hold on the barrel. Pull trigger. Now SLOWLY allow barrel spring tension to move the barrel back into normal position.

Do not leave the gun cocked any longer then you have to, it is not good for the spring. My old RWS .177 had a spring that was BROKEN after only 100 rounds. I had the spring replaced by a Beeman rifle smith (they have a distributorship in my town, Huntington beach)but i am selling this gun to help pay for the new Beeman.

5.0 out of 5 stars awesome air rifle!, December 26, 2011
This review is from: Marksman 1073 Grizzly X2 DC Air (Sports)
this air rifle is awesome. first shots will kick hard and pretty loud.pretty hard to caulk at first. i do not reccommend this air rifle to noobies because it is very powerful, i shot a 1/2 inch of oak and blew right threw it and you really can hurt a person with it. shoot safe peeople!

5.0 out of 5 stars Heavy but powerful and versatile, February 24, 2012
This review is from: Marksman 1073 Grizzly X2 DC Air (Sports)
Picked it up at the local walmart store for $114. Nicely built, love the dual caliber feature. Have yet to kill some squirrels with it. A little heavy, until broken-in, cocking is a little hard, but delivers a strong knockout punch. For the price, you can't beat it!

2.0 out of 5 stars The rifle and both barrels are a waste of pellets and time., May 6, 2014
This review is from: Marksman 1073 Grizzly X2 DC Air (Sports)
After 100 rounds, the closest patten I could get was 5 inch at 40 feet using a variety of pellets with both barrels, from a bench rest. The target was a 1 inch circle. This rifle was made in China. I bought it to up grade another Beeman that shoots 750 fps which was made in Spain. The Spanish made rifle will shoot 1/2 inch patterns all day a 40 feet and bring down a full grown squirrel at this distance. The 90 day return policy lapsed by the time I open it and got ready to set it up and use. I traded it for a box of Federal 230 g .45 apc and lucky to get that much. It is a good rifle for anyone using a 55 gallon drum for a target.

5.0 out of 5 stars Long range beast, February 10, 2012
This review is from: Marksman 1073 Grizzly X2 DC Air (Sports)
Alot of my shooting is 80 yards+ and i can hit a rabbit any time. Some trouble shooting is the tighter the bullet fits itll catch the power and shoot better and sometimes the barrel comes loose just tightener down really hard once and your set

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›