Marmot Mens Super Mica Jacket - Team Red - Medium
Size Name: MD ApparelColor Name: Team RedChange

I bought this on sale at my local REI. I already own the Mountain Hardwear Ampato Rain Jacket, which I have reviewed on Amazon, and consider an absolutely amazing rain jacket as well as a terrific winter shell for running. So why did I buy the Marmot Super Mica Jacket? Because I was looking for a really light and compact rain jacket with the same essential features of the Ampato that I could easily stow and use in hot summer weather (the Ampato works fine, but it's definitely bulkier than the Super Mica). When I saw this in the store and tried it on, I knew that I had found what I was looking for. Here is why I like it.

1. I don't think at this price point that you can find a lighter or more compact rain jacket that has all the features of this jacket--pit zips, waterproof zippers, velcro sleeve closures, a cinch cord, a huge hood with a wide brim, and plenty of pocket space (I was able to stuff my 28 month old granddaughter's raincoat into one of the pockets when we went to a museum on a rainy day).

I disagree with another review that the velcro closures on the sleeves are not sufficient to keep you dry. They worked just fine for me in a bad rain storm.

I do agree that it would be nice if this had a two way zipper, especially for running, but since I don't plan to use this primarily for running, it doesn't matter to me. The fact is that in a driving rain storm I am not going to keep the zipper partially open at the bottom, which is what a two way zipper would permit. And by the way, the much more expensive Ampato jacket does not have a two way zipper either. In fact I don't recall seeing any rain jacket that has one.

2. I disagree with a review claiming that this jacket does not breathe. I have done some pretty vigorous walking for a mile or two on rainy days without getting clammy at all. And for running I simply open the pit zips.

Unlike other rain jackets, this does not have a mesh lining, but that has not resulted in any clammy conditions for me.

Note: If you want Gore Tex, rather than the Marmot membrane, consider the Marmot Nano, which is also lightweight (and more expensive). If lightweight is not a factor, than consider the Marmot Minimalist, which is about twice as heavy as the Super Mica.

3. I like the way this jacket fits and feels. Although it is very thin, it doesn't feel like I am wearing a painting drop cloth, as happens with cheaper jackets. And for me (5' 7" 165lbs 34" waist) the medium size fit me perfectly, with enough room to use a thin layer if I want. For me the jacket was neither baggy nor had a slim fit, as mentioned in other reviews.

I bought this in red, and it looks really sharp, even better in person than in the picture.

I bought a 2L Sea to Summit dry sack to store this jacket in. The jacket easily folds up to fit in this compact dry sack, and this is a convenient way for me to keep it in my briefcase, gym bag, bike backpack, or on the seat when I go boating.

4. This is absolutely waterproof. I have gotten caught in more than one torrential downpour (unfortunately without my rain pants) and stayed nice and dry from the waist up.

5. The jacket is well made and well designed. Marmot is a well known manufacturer of high quality outdoor clothing (I also own the Marmot Men's Super Gravity Jacket , which is for the winter) and the Super Mica Jacket definitely lives up to the Marmot name.

6. Another review questions how durable this will be over time. I can't comment on that yet because I haven't owned this long enough. But I used to own another super thin rain jacket made by Outdoor Research for a number of years without any problems (alas a family member also liked it and permanently borrowed it). Conversely, I have owned thicker rain jackets over the years that turned out not to be very durable at all.

Bottom line: If you are looking for a really light and compact rain jacket (this is only 8.7 oz) that looks great and can keep you dry in the worst rain storm, the Super Mica is a good choice. If you want something slightly heavier, I think the Mountain Hardwear Ampato Rain Jacket - Men's is great (though more expensive).
on July 17, 2013
The Super Mica is a great hardshell jacket for layering when you want to go fast and ultralight.

What I like
*Membrain (the Super Mica's material) is a laminated fabric, like Gore-Tex, not merely a surface coating. It will not lose its waterproofness and breathability with use.
*Even though the jacket is extremely light weight and compressible, it still has a lot of features usually found on more substantial jackets. There are pit zips, drawstrings with cord locks at the waist, and a fully adjustable hood with a rigid brim.
*The shoulder and hip zones, where there's a lot of potential for friction from shoulder straps and waist belts, are reinforced with abrasion resistant patches.

Some caveats
*The light weight comes at the expense of high durability. As you can guess, the Membrain fabric is rather thin. Additionally, in order to save even more weight, the jacket is unlined on the inside. This means whatever you're wearing underneath rubs directly against the Membrain fabric. (Outdoor apparel aficionados: it's a 2.5 layer Membrain shell)
*It's difficult to fully close off the sleeves at the wrist. Velcro is used to allow some adjustment but there isn't any elastic or other method for getting a really good seal.
*The main zipper is not a two-way zipper.
*The fit is somewhat slimmer than with other Marmot gear I own. I normally take Medium but a Large Super Mica turned out to be better for me.

Bottom line: the Super Mica is an excellent waterproof shell for uses where weight and bulk need to be cranked down to the max. It probably is not a great choice for a primary jacket or for everyday use because it was not designed to be particularly durable. Four stars, keeping in mind it's not meant to stand up to a lot of hard wear.

----------
Addendum (September 2013)
For anybody trying to decide between the Super Mica and the Patagonia M10, the choice mainly depends on two things. First, do you want a fully featured jacket or a stripped down, extremely minimalist shell? Second, how important is fabric softness, interior and exterior, to you?

The M10 is about 17 grams/0.6 ounces lighter than the Super Mica. It does not have pit zips. It has only one small external chest pocket (which doubles as a stuff sack). The hood brim is not as stiff as the Super Mica's. I like the M10's material more than the Super Mica's because the M10 uses a 3-layer fabric with a softer hand, there's no slight rubbery feeling inside, and the jacket is quieter when you're moving around. Finally, the M10 is put together with sonically welded seams while the Super Mica has traditional needle-and-thread stitching.

An important non-performance factor is that at full price, the M10 is almost twice as expensive as the Super Mica. For value shoppers, the choice is obvious.

Personally, I go to the M10 when I'm trying to cut down on weight as much as possible and not going to be away from shelter for more than a couple of days. I rely on the Super Mica when I'm going to be out for longer periods, when I need decent pocket capacity, and when I want to be able to dump lots of heat quickly.
on August 23, 2013
Size Name: MediumColor Name: Slate GreyVerified Purchase
This jacket keeps me warm and cool, I don't know how it does it. It's touted as waterproof, and they aren't lying. I had my fiance spray me with a hose and everywhere this jacket covered was dry and less clammy than I expected too. The zippers are a high quality, and the colors available are pretty sharp in my opinion. Great jacket, haven't found anything else for under $200 that I like this much.
on December 27, 2012
Size Name: MD ApparelColor Name: Aztec Blue
This jacket has a decent price, but it really doesn't breathe well, which was the main thing I was looking for. If I'm doing any sort of physical activity at all (even light walking) I get more wet from sweating inside the jacket than I would have gotten from the rain. If you're looking for something breathable, I would recommend either dishing out the money to buy something really expensive, or go the really cheap route and get a Dry Ducks for like $5- those work wonders.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 23, 2012
Size Name: MD ApparelColor Name: BlackVerified Purchase
I looked at several lightweight/breathable jackets for a trip to Thailand -- during the rainy season. I tried Arcteryx, NorthFace, etc and several models of Marmot, and in the end this was definitely the best choice in terms of fit, features, looks, and price. For me personally, it was fitted without being too tight or too billowy, and the adjustable hood wasn't enormous. When put to the test, it kept me completely dry.
on January 10, 2013
Size Name: LargeColor Name: Slate GreyVerified Purchase
Used on my very first backcountry hike and gotta say what a great windbreaker. It's extremely light and comfortable. The quality seems to be very good. I can't comment on the rain qualities as we had great weather for the entire hike which was something of a miracle in British Columbia but I would imagine that it would keep you dry while being light enough to wear in a warm rain.
on December 13, 2012
Size Name: MD ApparelColor Name: Aztec BlueVerified Purchase
This is the second one i have, love it, really light, i take it everywhere, it is always in my back pack