Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Fifth Harmony Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Shop Now SnS

Size: Medium|Color: Fern|Change
Price:$81.22 - $125.00

on March 20, 2013
When you need to move fast and light, the Alpinist Tech Jacket is a great midlayer that can double as a minimalist outer layer in dry conditions.

What I like
*Warm and light without a lot of bulk.
*Breathes well and dries very quickly.
*Even though the ATJ is best used as a midlayer, it has a lot of outer layer features, including drawstrings with cord locks at the waist, a zippered inner pocket, and a storm flap behind the main zipper.
*Areas with the potential for high friction, such as around the collar, chest pocket, and lower pockets, are reinforced with an abrasion resistant material.
*Flat seams add to comfort when layering and when wearing a backpack or other bag with shoulder straps.

Some caveats
*The lightweight polyester fleece fabric does not seem as durable as traditional softshell material.
*The main zipper is not a two-way zipper.
*The cuffs are elasticized but cannot be adjusted in any way.

Bottom line: the Alpinist Tech Jacket is my go-to midlayer when space and weight are at a premium (I often use it with a Super Mica waterproof shell). I don't think it will stand up that well to a lot of abuse or hard wear, but I have "traditional" soft and hard shells to use for the rough stuff. Four stars, keeping in mind how I use the ATJ.

----------
Addendum (September 2013)
If you're trying to decide between the ATJ and a Patagonia R1 jacket, there are currently two major differences between the two garments. First, the R1's material has a soft, shiny finish. This makes it easier to don additional layers but also means the fabric has a higher tendency to snag or "catch" on rough surfaces when it's your outermost layer. Even hands with dry skin (you know, the way hands get in the winter) have a slight Velcro effect. The second difference is in the cuffs. If you like thumb loops, go with a R1. Or if you're a Marmot loyalist and want the thumb loops and the same fabric as the R1, pick up a Thermo Hoody.
on March 29, 2016
it's a lightweight grid fleece......that' about it. The quality is adequate, but not what I've seen in other products in a similar price range. I'm 5'10 and 175lbs and the medium fits well. I will be returning it mainly because the quality and fit do not match the price and the inside is "catchy", that is the inside of the jacket catches my shirts and whatever else i have on under. This creates a bit of a wrestling situation where i have to adjust it for a minute or two before I'm comfortable. It doesn't go anywhere afterwards, but it's not worth it.
VINE VOICEon January 17, 2016
No good for windy or wet conditions. It's nice in a chilly indoor environment. Snug fit (I'm lean and athletic). Not for anyone heavy. Think slim build only. Wind cuts right through the material. Rain soaks right through. Good middle layer.
on February 26, 2015
This was decent, but not good enough to keep around for the price I paid for it, xcv . No hood and the grid fleece is more on the outside than inside. The wind goes right through it but it's not polartec so I knew that. It's not a bad jacket, it just didn't feel right.
on April 17, 2013
It's an athletic cut and on the thin side. But it looks great on. I'm not husky but I workout. Think skinny runner and get a size bigger if you have muscles.
on November 11, 2012
Have used this jacket all summer for backpacking and canoeing trips where temps fell below 40 degrees Fahrenheit. I really like how light and warm the jacket is. It does. It crawl up when you move which allowed me to paddle and reach with getting drafts on my back. Packs down small enough to put in a backpack. Also is very light for the warmth it provides. The chest pocket is incontinent and inaccessible if wearing a backpack and is not large enough for an iPhone or larger accessories so I'd be fine if it was removed all together.

Pros
-warmth to wright ratio is excellent
-packs down small
-doesn't "ride" when you move
-looks good enough you could wear about anywhere
-durable

Cons
-chest pocket is in the way of backpack straps and is not large enough for an iPhone or larger phones
on December 10, 2012
The jacket fits perfectly (true to size) , feels nice and warm on those cold Maine mornings, and it looksr eally great
on January 21, 2016
This jacket had a strange odor which I was able to remove after washing twice and rinsing with white vinegar. Fit is nice and it works well for the climate, however I was disappointed in the issue with the odor.
on December 5, 2012
Fleece does not have headphone port in inner pocket as explained in description. Im not a climber; I wear this fleece in a urban setting so I like to listen to my music while walking around.
on December 14, 2013
Perfect for Southern California weather. I live in San Diego and I would say this jacket is not too thick or too thin just the right blend. Very soft and breathable.

See 1 answered question