4.0 out of 5 stars Light, easy to use, all-inclusive!!
Published on September 16, 2012 by Sean R. Anderson

3.0 out of 5 stars Just OK
First of all this is a heavy tent. That is obvious in the specs. It is in the price point of most tents this size and quality so no surprise there.

Hard to pack. It barely fits in the stuff sack and demands a tight roll up.

Published 23 months ago by El Paso

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Light, easy to use, all-inclusive!!, September 16, 2012
This review is from: Marmot Limelight 2 Persons Tent (Sports)
I bought this tent in Spring and have used it at least ten times, car camping and backpacking. What I really like about it is that it is all inclusive: you don't have to buy a tarp (footprint) separate, the stakes and poles are great quality, and they even throw in a gear loft! I bought it on sale for $150 and it was a steal. Two things you need to know about this tent: when you put on the rainfly, always stake the front and the back, even if those are the only two stakes you use. If you forget to stake the back, whoever is farther from the door will get wet. It's just how it's designed. Second thing, the tent will fit nicely into the bag it comes in. The easiest thing to do is lay the footprint down, the tent on top of it, and the rainfly on top of that. Make sure that you lay the rainfly so it's the same size as the footprint. Fold it all in half, stuffing in the loose ends so it stays the same size as the footprint. Then roll it up. I love this tent. It's got a cool little windown on the rainfly and gear storage pockets on the side. When used the rainfly is plenty of insulation, but if you take it off most of the body is mesh so you can see the stars. In the morning it feels like I'm in a little orange spaceship. I've used it all over Pisgah, Gorges State Park, Grayson Highlands in VA...it's never let me down. Sturdy, well-made product. The only improvements I would make would be to make it a little bit easier to put together for one person (the poles are a snap to fit in the four corners with two people, but it take a little patience by yourself) and to give it the kind of bag where you could just stuff it in without rolling it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best tent for two!, August 5, 2014
This tent is an incredible value for the $$$. We have owned the Marmot Limelight (2) for just over a year and can vouch for the following features:

• Waterproof – it kept us dry through coastal storms in April, and through a mountain downpour in September
• Footprint – successfully protected our tent and sleeping pads, and kept the mud on the ground
• Interior space – fits my partner and I, our sleeping pads and clothing with room to stretch
• Easy set-up – takes under 5 minutes and is easy for one person to assemble
• Lightweight – slightly heavier than some competitors, but it's very easy to divide between packs
• Gear loft – awesome for keeping valuables and hanging our flashlight after dark to light the tent
• D-shaped door – can be a struggle to crawl over my partner at night, but otherwise easy to get in and out
• Vestibule – can fit one large pack but won't keep your gear completely dry in a storm – fly is too short
• Bag – this is the first tent that we've used that actually fits in the bag with room to spare
• Breathability – excellent, even on hot nights the ventilation under the fly is fantastic
• Easy to clean – our tent survived a murder of pooping crows and a break-and-enter by racoons

We do wish that the fly opened on the opposite side, and that the vestibule provided more coverage in rain. It is large enough to keep our shoes dry, but packs had to be snug against the tent to avoid splash-up from under the fly. The tent does breathe well but it's a no-brainer to pack for the outside temperature.

Tips: When pitching the tent, it's worth taking a minute to stake it out to increase ventilation. If you are expecting rain, pitch the tent on pine needles or leaves to avoid mud splash-up. For mountainous or rocky terrain, I recommend purchasing some stronger stakes – Marmot's aren't bad but they will bend if really forced into rocky ground.

Our favourite accessory for this tent has been the Black Diamond Voyager Lantern which can be hung from the gear loft:

3.0 out of 5 stars Just OK, December 24, 2012
El Paso (Desert Southwest) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Marmot Limelight 2 Persons Tent (Sports)

Hard to pack. It barely fits in the stuff sack and demands a tight roll up.

Hard to put up. With one person the poles just don't stay put at first and a short dance will ensue attempting to get it up quickly.
Even if the poles stay put and one practices it is just a slow to set-up tent.

Worst part is it is not a warm tent. The ventilation is low and high so cold air leaks in and warm air escapes. Note the side view, you will basically be out side with cold air blowing on your face. when set up with the rain fly taut. Way too much screen for a fall-winter spring camping trip. A recent camping trip with a 20° sleeping bag that got down to ~30° was quite uncomfortable in this tent. I have been in similar or worse situation is my Eureka Timberline and was able to block out the elements much better for the same weight.

It appears the design was to make a lightweight summer tent and include a heavy rainfly for more extreme situations but as I said the ventilation is not thought out and cold air whips right through. I had to slacken the rainfly to hang against the tent vents to keep out some wind and this would not have been good in the rain.

The zippers are way to delicate. They could be a grade heavier with no weight penalty and operate smoother.

After 14+ nights in this tent I am going back to the Timberline. Simple pup-tent affair with simple to control ventilation and not more weight.

if this tent had fabric down at face level it may have been a great tent but as is only slightly better than outside for warmth.

Warren

4.0 out of 5 stars One of the best 2 person 3 season tent in its price range, May 18, 2014
This review is from: Marmot Limelight 2 Persons Tent (Sports)
I own a lot of tents (including Hillebergs) and hammocks but this is my go-to shelter for most quick trips. It's light enough for backpacking (albeit barely), has great ventilation for the warmer months, it's legitimately waterproof, and it has a full fly and somewhat usable vestibule which makes it decent in cold weather. It also sets up and takes down in minutes. The footprint is pretty light duty but it comes free with the tent as does the loft so I can't really complain. My only real negative is that the vestibule opens on the opposite side of the entrance zipper. It just doesn't make sense especially with only one way in and out. Regardless I still love it. If you have a chance to grab it for about $160...take it and run!

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!, June 6, 2014
Such a great tent to have for backpacking. It's a two person, but it's a tight fit. Amazing quality, but what else would you expect from Marmot. Worth every penny. I own several Limelight tents and have had them all out in major storms. I've even had puddles form under my tent. Guess what, STILL no water came in from underneath. I was even thinking a little would, but no, not even a drop. Impressed. This tent is so light that you can put the whole thing together and toss it in the air and it literally floats down to the ground. Very rigid frame as well. BUY THIS

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice backpacking option, March 20, 2013
John Meyer (Goose Creek, SC United States) - See all my reviews
Tent is extremely easy to set up. Great for one person, a tight fit for two but doable. Construction is high quality and the fact that the fly and footprint are included is a great bargain. I have only used it with the fly installed, but the screening on the dome will eventually be very useful for a night under the stars in good weather. A bit on the heavy side for backpacking but the quality is hard to beat.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Festival Tent, August 12, 2014
I am not an experienced camper so this review is just coming from my practical experience of the tent.

This tent kept me absolutely dry in major storms in the Lakes District in Cumbria, England for 2.5 weeks of camping in the same spot. It was very wet outside but I was comfortable and dry the whole time without fail. Just that is wonderful.

The 2P is really more of a 1P if you have any kind of a backpack or luggage, just an FYI. But for one person, it's really comfortable. I had a daypack and a big suitcase and they fit fine plus my sleeping bag/mat. I am 5'4 and fit just fine but I wonder about a tall person fitting in the tent - my roommate is going to use the tent and I'll find out from him how that goes as he is a tall person.

The guylines are black - I kept tripping over them in the dark. Not a big deal but everyone else's tents had neon colored guylines that were really easy to see.

This tent is extremely easy to put up. I had no trouble even though I had been traveling for about 20hrs when I staked it - I did practice once at home - but still - I know nothing about camping and was able to do it on the first try.

You definitely cannot stand up in this tent so getting dressed is interesting - you can't even really stand on your knees so yeah - it took a while to put myself together in the morning.

This tent is extremely light. I traveled from Seattle to England and was able to just fit it in my suitcase along with my sleeping mat.

The yellow and orange color of the tent is nice - it's easy to spot in the middle of a whole lot of tents if you're going to a festival.

Overall I think this is a great tent and it was a nice place to call home for 2.5 weeks :)

5.0 out of 5 stars I love Marmot products, August 5, 2014
I bought this tent in the spring of 2014 and have used it twice before putting it away for the summer. Even though it is designed as a 2-person tent, I prefer to use it as a 1-person tent! It will be tight if you squeeze 2 bodies in there! Rule of thumb: 1 person needs a 2-person tent, 2 persons need a 3-person tent, 3 persons need a 4-person tent, and so on ... , and that goes for any brand out there not just Marmot. OK, back to the subject. I love Marmot products because they are very well made, stylish, and practical. One person can put this tent up easily, the instructional video on their website is very helpful. The tent is very light so in windy condition, make sure you throw your backpack inside to hold it down in place before you nail the stakes down. I do not "rough it" when going camping so I dont know how it holds up in extreme condition, but I'll bet it will be just fine. The screen panels help you see out and keep you from getting stuffy inside during the day, but make sure you put the waterproof fly on at night because the fog and morning dew will penetrate the breathable fabric and get you wet if you don't. It comes complete with everything, including the footprint which is a big plus. Overall it is a good buy - a better buy if you catch it on sale like I did - and your money will be well spent. Can't wait for the fall to get here. Happy trail !!!

4.0 out of 5 stars First time camper, November 30, 2012
I've never been in a tent in my life, but I tested this one out at a local REI and a friend recommended it. It was very easy to use, enter into, get out of, put together, take down, put back together again (if you ever have to break it down because of boar rampages or anything crazy like that). It's a 2-person tent so it was spacious enough. I'm 5'8" so I didn't feel like my feel too tall for it. It's just a great product. It was like my little apt in the woods.

5.0 out of 5 stars Super nice tent, August 5, 2013
I purchased this tent for my bug out bag, It is light and very quick to put up. As far as Toughness, well I set it up in my guest bedroom and allowed my 18-month-old grandson to sleep in it for three days, he played in it like the wild man that he is, and absolutely nothing was broken or destroyed. It will be TIGHT to get two adults in this comfortably. Better if it had two doors with To vestibules. But it was nice for my solo trips

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›