Back to Business Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon St Lucia Bose SoundTouch 130 Amazon Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty Valentine's Day Cards Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Shop Now SnS

on May 25, 2013
Are you trying to decide between tricked-out Marmot and Patagonia duffel bags?

Well, I own both a size large Long Hauler and a 120L Patagonia Black Hole. They are very similar to one another; each is a rugged, highly water resistant duffel bag with lots of technical features. You won't go wrong buying either but there are some small differences that could tip the final decision one way or the other.

The short version is this: the Black Hole is slightly better suited for when you'll be carrying the bag yourself most of the time, while the Long Hauler is slightly better suited for trips where others (such as airlines or porters) will often be handling your bag for you.

Now, here's more detail...

What differentiates the Black Hole
*More padding on shoulder straps
*Squeeze clips anchor shoulder straps (the Long Hauler has metal quick release hooks that are less secure)
*More (and longer) daisy chains

What differentiates the Long Hauler
*Compression straps on exterior
*Lock loops on zipper sliders
*More outside pockets, one has a mesh section for wet items

Bottom line: The Long Hauler is a fine, fully featured duffel bag that gets promoted from 4-stars to 5-stars when Marmot's lifetime warranty is taken into account.
review image review image
0Comment62 of 62 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 21, 2014
I bought this bag for weekend trips and love it. Very high quality and has a rich set of features.
The large bag is a little too big for the overhead bin on airplanes. I would have rather bought the medium.
on October 22, 2012
This bag delivered everything as promised. I needed it for a sailing trip where I had to lug a bunch of stuff through the airport and then to the boat but then be able to roll my bag up and stuff it away (as opposed to a stiff roller bag) It was better than a lot of the other duffels I saw because of the straps-to-backback convertability and the vertical compression ties on the side. The only thing I wish it had were maybe some horizontal compression straps to tighten things down lengthwise. I recommend it to anyone looking for a airport worthy travel duffel.
on April 18, 2013
My boyfriend ordered this and uses it as his weekend bag when he visits me. It's big enough to fit all of his clothes and shoes and minibottles, but not so big that I'm tripping over it. He really likes the color and how it says "Marmot" really big on the side. It also smells like a tent.
11 comment5 of 6 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 25, 2012
Pros: It's a real durable bag. I love the versatility as it can switch from a duffel to a backpack by undoing the handle strap. You can also extend the straps fully and sling it over your shoulder. There's a thin interior pocket for your smaller items and there's another pocket on the inside flap. The end pocket is the most useful as it's easily accessible. The end straps are a nice touch as well.

Cons: A little awkward to walk with as a backpack but it's usually fixed after adjusting the straps.

Bottom Line: Buy it with confidence and enjoy the weekend!
on July 28, 2013
Used bag for a week and as a carry on. Worked awesome. Probably best for a 4-5 day journey. Material is rugged and should last for many trips. Liked the straps for use as a backpack. I was able to carry duffel on back and small backpack on front while trekking it through the airport to make a flight.
on January 2, 2014
I travel for a living and I love this bag! It's though, good looking and handy! Great for running around the airport.
on July 9, 2014
We use this bag to carry our camping supplies. We have one 2 person tent and one 3 person tent, two chairs, two sleeping bags and two blow up sleeping pads. All of these items fit with room to spare and the bag seems to be very durable so far. I would buy another to complement this one should we buy more gear.
on November 7, 2014
sturdy, good compartmentalization, and nice separation possibilities of wet and dry. Haven't used as back pack though. Quite happy with purchase.
on February 23, 2015
This bag is strong, sturdy and easily mobile. I use for outdoor activities and family vacations.