5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent pack when conditions demand extra gear, November 12, 2013
Jeff "gramgeek" (Portland, OR, United States) - See all my reviews
The Marmot Kompressor Summit has become my favorite pack for cool season hiking, It will lug 28 liters (that's 1,710 cubic inches) worth of gear but weighs just a little over a pound and a half. The waist belt does a good job of supporting that extra load. And the removable closed-cell foam stiffener can be used as a sit pad for breaks in cold, wet spots. This saves you the weight of carrying a little sit pad. I've posted photos of this on my blog at [...]

This is a top-fed duffel style pack which uses a drawstring to keep the bag closed. A convenient top pouch pulls down over the bag. This pouch has a zippered back giving you easy access to smaller items you might need to get to quickly. Inside the pouch is a tiny zippered pouch where you can store a wallet and car keys, or anything you absolutely don't want to lose on the trail. An elastic pouch gives you quick access to additional gear, but you will need to first unclip the front strap that cinches down the top compartment.

Full retail for the Kompressor is $119, but you might be able to pick one up for a lot less if you aren't picky about color. At this writing, the Kompressor is available here on Amazon for $83. What I like best about this pack is how comfortable is is. The compression-molded shoulder straps breath well on hot days and never chafe. A lightly padded waist belt with top small mesh pockets keeps the load off your shoulders. Properly adjusted, the pack feels like part of your body. Weight distribution is excellent. The Kompressor has high and low compression straps to reduce extra volume, a chest strap with built-in whistle and a wide. In the photo at top right you can see the twin ice axe loops at the base of the pack. Marmot has been making this pack since mid 2012 and some models may have minor design differences.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great light, day pack, that can easily pack in suit case or other larger backpack., August 27, 2012
This is a great light, day pack, that can easily be packed in suit case or other larger backpack.
I bought it because there are times when I need a good back pack when traveling. Most day packs take up a lot of room in your luggage. This pack seems light, durable and will be a great day pack to use when traveling.

5.0 out of 5 stars love it!, February 21, 2013
found this pack on here for 50 bucks through the amazon warehouse.needless to say it was a steal at that price for this pack that i couldnt pass up.i'd checked one out at REI and friggin' loved it and had to have one. the size,weight, etc. is perfect for me.im not the tallest guy at 5'8 so a lot of the modular packs tend to hit me too low in the back.i have an ALICE pack rig that ive modified to accept the MOLLE system used by the military that i had to tweak over the years to get just right.this pack felt right as soon as i slung it on my back.i was amazed at how light the pack is compared with how sturdy it felt and the amount of space it provides.though i havent taken it into the field yet, i know im going to love this pack and log many miles under it.now if they'd just knock off a hundred bucks from the big agnes fly creek UL i'd truly be a happy camper haha...you listening AMAZON?

5.0 out of 5 stars Lightweight but full of features., May 11, 2014
I bought this pack for day trips into the hills and mountains. A pack with lightweight construction but with capacity to carry a full-day's worth of gear, including cameras was a priority. The lightweight material, as other reviews have suggested, won't be the most durable and certainly care will have to be taken when carrying crampons and ice-tools. But for me, it fits the bill perfectly.

5.0 out of 5 stars My go to Pack for hiking and all kid activities., April 14, 2014
I bought this over a year ago and all I have is positives. I really have to quibble to find things to improve. Most of all I love the color (bright green) because its easy to spot from all the other backpacks (especially when i'm keeping an eye on it from a distance). The functionality is amazing as well for such a small pack. I've taken this thing camping, hiking, skiing, to the beach, to kid events, and its my go bag in case of any emergencies (earthquake). Its easy to organize with this and I especially like the top loader pockets. I'd make the mesh pockets on the hip belt slightly larger than they are, but not much. I have had about 30lb in this and it was very comfortable. I have a 3l platypus that fits in the hydration segment, but its tight and hard to get in and out. Durability is excellent as I have no torn straps and no holes in the denier, despite heavy use. Highly recommend this to anyone as a daypack and even ultralight weekend trips.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good bag for the price and very light, December 9, 2013
All around a good sized bag with the right amount of functionality. I used it on a week long field trip for my company in Wyoming (fall season) and enjoyed it. My only complaint is the material and how thin it feels. I haven't actually damaged it, but part of the weight factor (its REALLY light) is likely due to the material. I'm also not crazy about the outer straps and the way they slip or slide on their own sometimes. I could likely replace that webbing with some more firm/ridged webbing to hold against the straps so it doesn't slide (webbing that comes it with is too silky or smooth and it slips sometimes on its own.)

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent pack!, November 3, 2013
This is a great pack! Holds alot of stuff. I've traveled to DC and NYC with it by train, and I hiked up Mt. Garfield in NH to camp the night with it. Very comfortable and well made.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, February 14, 2013
Very nice, durable bag. Enough compartments to keep equipment seperate and organized but not to many to forget where everything is. Nice color and weight. Excellent bag.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Sack holds everything!, February 6, 2014
I was going on day hikes up Mt Lemon by where I live and my friend was having a hard time keeping up. So I looked into a sack that would hold up well and be able to hold a lot of weight. Great news this is the sack. I'm able to toss my little person friend in the sack and I can take him up the mountain with me and the sack is so big he is able to do things in the sack while I'm carring him around. Last weekend he was making me sandwiches inside the sack while I carried him around the mall. The only cons I can see with this sack is the fact that it doesn't have deployable ladder attached to it so he can get in and out without me dropping him off of my shoulders and the sack could use a little more padding he's always complaining about how I'm not paying attention and hitting him off of trees and rocks. He would also like it if you installed some kind of lighting for the inside of the sack. Overall I would buy again.

5.0 out of 5 stars My Purrrrfect Match, September 5, 2012
I love it! It's the perfect bag for a girl like me. Not too big, not too small. Just great for my backpacking trips. Thanks to a certain cute guy I know who recommended it to me.

Marmot Kompressor Summit Pack