5.0 out of 5 stars Best light-weight jacket for business travel I've ever had.
Published on December 16, 2012 by M. Spence

1.0 out of 5 stars Poorly constructed, hood does not close
When I needed it most on a four day trek on the Inca Trail to Machu Picchu in the rain, I found that the hood on this jacket was defective and would not close. All of the velcros were the same so would not adhere. Very poor quality control at Marmot. I'm moving outside of the U.S. now and unable to get it replaced. Don't take a chance on this jacket.
Published 8 months ago by Boca Junior

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Best light-weight jacket for business travel I've ever had., December 16, 2012
M. Spence (Dallas, Texas USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Marmot Men's Aegis Jacket (Sports Apparel)
I bought this jacket for international business travel. In my work I don't have to wear suits on customer visits so I have more options for outerwear. I needed a jacket that was light and thin for packing in my luggage and take up minimal space in the messenger bag I carry with me during the work day. It needed to keep me dry and reasonably comfortable in summer rains and turn back the wind and hold in the warmth in the spring and fall.

This is jacket has done everything I needed it to do in wet Asian summers and cool European springs. In all black it looks great without being too technical or outdoorsy for business wear.

In warm weather the pit zips, the net fabric pockets, the two zippers, the Velcro points and snaps on the storm flap and sleeves all help dump heat during the rain while keeping you dry. It keeps you from marinating, but if you have to be active in hot, wet weather, say walk six blocks in light rain you will sweat in the jacket a bit as there is no large horizontal caped-vent across the back like golf or biking jackets. But if the choice is sweat or get soaked I'll take the former.

In the fall and spring this is an effective windproof outer layer. If you have a good sweater, neck gaiter, light weight gloves and a watch cap you can be comfortable in this into the 40's - IF you're walking. If you're standing around for 15 minutes waiting for a train or bus the low-end of comfortable is in the 50's with or without rain. In both cases the fold away hood really helps keep out the chill. If you expect to deal with temperatures below that, the jacket's length and lack of insulation mean you'll need to pack something warmer. The side pockets are big enough to store the gloves, neck gaiter and hat so you can take them with you. I've also used it over a T-Shirt on a nice, cool summer night on the waterfront.

Buy your size. The jacket is designed to allow for a fleece vest or sweater as a mid-layer and it gives the room to do that. The hood is big enough to fit over a watch cap or a baseball cap, but not a bike helmet. The pocket on the upper left arm is a handy place for holding rental car keys or room keys. You can also use it as a water resistant place to stow your cell phone, Bluetooth headset or camera for quick access. Unlike other reviews, I like the wrist closures, haven't had a problem with them.

I've put a couple of hard years on this jacket with no tears, scuffs or obvious wear. It is holds up to abuse. It still looks great.

As good as it is I'd like to see improvement in these areas:
* While the jacket is long enough to cover the hem of a sweater, it could be about two to three inches longer to give more wind protection.
* The pit-zips unzip from the elbow toward the armpit, it should unzip from the armpit toward the elbow. This would allow more effective dumping of body heat with a partial unzipping and make it easier to unzip.
* The collar has a great soft lining that keeps the cold nylon off the neck when it's chilly, that lining should be in the pockets between the nylon and your hands, which would act as nice hand warmer and keep the cold nylon of the hands when it is chilly.
* A bi-fold back to give more ease of movement in the shoulders when wearing over a fleece layer.
* Subtle light reflecting points on the back, both arms and front.

I'd buy another one in a heartbeat if I were to misplace this jacket. I'd recommend it to anyone that wants a light, waterproof and windproof jacket for hiking, adventure travel and business travel.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really thin jacket, but definitely does the trick, March 22, 2013
I live in Seattle and go hiking every weekend. You can imagine the kind of weather that we get...with all the drizzle and all. The temperatures in the mountains are a bit colder with unpredictable weather. I was using an older North Face that trapped way too much heat when it was raining and a lot of water was able to seep through the fabric, which I thought was waterproof at the time. It was most likely a mixture of seepage and sweat.

I ordered this Marmot jacket in black, which seems impossible to find, even at the Marmot store! It's a bit expensive, however, you get what you pay for. I wanted a rain jacket that could breathe and this is the jacket that does allows for this. The fabric itself is able to breathe, but with the underarm and front pocket vents, it makes hiking a breeze.

The hood rolls up into the nicely insulated collar. The zippers are all lined with waterproof materials to avoid water seepage. I bought this jacket knowing that it was thin, but just layer up and no problem. The jacket is extremely light in weight, which makes it easy to roll up and can fit in my tiny camelbak bag, leaving room for snacks even. It's windproof, waterproof, and very breathable. Exactly what I need it for and it does the job to its fullest. Love it. Worthy every penny.

Also, sizing seems to be appropriate. I bought a NorthFace Bionic Jacket in medium and it was hardly covering my belt. This is at least covers my belt, but can be shorter on some individuals. I'm 6 foot, 180 lbs, medium to heavy build.

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid rain jacket, October 20, 2012
Living in the city of wind (Chicago), this jacket is ideal for those rainy days when you are out and about walking the streets. I was originally looking for something a bit heavier for those in-between seasonal days when the temperature gets to be about 35-50 degrees fahrenheit. So when I got the jacket I was a bit dissappointed in its weight/thickness since I feel it is ideal for nothing below 45 degrees (without a base layer). But that I blame on myself for not researching the product a bit more. From a performance perspective this jacket is great. Lightweight so not to burden your movements, strong enough to repel any deluge, the hood has a zip cord so you don't go losing it on those windy days, and underarm zippers to keep you cool on those warmer days. All in all this is a great jacket.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent one for rainy weathers, March 21, 2012
It has a really nice shape that it suits you very well.. But don't expect to get warm with this raincoat. It is awesome for rainy weathers..

5.0 out of 5 stars Marmot Aegis Rain Jacket, November 7, 2011
Great jacket for the price!!! Comfortable and excellent for riding your bike in city rainy days -- Had one in Boston and SF -- Great --

5.0 out of 5 stars How can this thing keep you warm?, October 24, 2011
This jackets seems really minimalist, with layers I used it for 5 days of camping in nighttime below freezing temperatures and was never really cold. I get cold easily, too. The jacket requires that you manage it properly with dumping heat when necessary and keeping it tightly closed in weather and cold, but it performs. I am really happy with the purchase. It fits in any pack and is ready when the temperature or percipitation falls. Sizing seems right on.

Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent jacket, August 26, 2012
M "that's me" (NH United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Marmot Men's Aegis Jacket (Sports Apparel)
I've enjoyed this jacket's comfort and fit while backpacking and certainly around town. Color and style are modern. Picked mine up from EMS in-store clearance for $95. You'll be pleased with this coat.

4.0 out of 5 stars Detailed full review..., September 24, 2014
This review is from: Marmot Men's Aegis Jacket (Sports Apparel)
I want to give this jacket a 4.5 stars, not 5, and spell out the shortcomings...First off, I was looking for a LIGHTWEIGHT, durable jacket with high tech fabric (ie: waterproof/breathable), a stowable hood, and pit zips, that wont break the bank...If you use that criteria, your list is whittled down to a verrry small group of jackets. I have had Marmot products in the past, and fully respect their craftsmanship, so when this jacket popped up on sale, sold. Now, as far as lightweight goes, this jacket is basically a high tech windbreaker, its one ply fabric, so layering for big weather temp fluctuations is something you need to be cognizant of. I bought the 2013 model and I honestly don't know if its the same fabric they are using/marketing for the newest iteration. The fit was is slightly big, so I ordered one size down and it was perfect. The finish was typical Marmot, taped seams with very clean stitching with no frays, etc, quality zippers, zipper pulls, and cinch cords, beautiful. I have not logged enough time in wet weather to tell of its waterproof longevity, which has been at 100% in normal city rain so far. I can vouch for its windproof ability, its awesome. One ply jackets always seem a bit unnerving in windy weather, because the fabric get right up against your skin (especially if your wearing a short sleeve shirt underneath) and makes you THINK there is little/no protection, but, that's just the psychology of 1 ply. The hood works great, and stows away neatly. The collar is on the high side, but it does block cold air/wind/rain from hitting your lower face, I was a little concerned at first glance, after understanding its functionality in adverse weather though, I really like that feature. Pit zips were a must for me, as I am on the west coast and deal with dramatic temperature hikes/drops, the venting is the perfect option to moderate interior temp/humidity levels without shedding layers. Durability is high, I have used it for quite a few short hikes with a daypack and have seen no back or shoulder abrasion so far, nor from the occasional branch or bush encounter. Just a design note I always thought that an extra layer of fabric over the shoulders would be a nice touch for a little extra padding and for said durability. Now for the ONE negative: The cuff closures, mine have 3 little pieces of Velcro on the sleeve to catch the full strip of Velcro on the cuff, very poor functionality. I would GLADLY pay an extra .10 cents for a full strip on both sides. To make Velcro work at max functionality you need to utilize the most surface area of both pieces, those little islands of Velcro have minimal holding power, and I question that for longevity, Velcro does lose its holding power over time...If you are adjusting layering, adjusting venting, and/or taking on and off, you use those cuff closures a LOT. (It also takes more labor/time to adhere 3 small pieces than one long strip)...This is unfortunately one of those small details that is actually a bigger issue due to the amount of which you have to deal with it, like EVERY time you use it. A deal breaker though? NO...they still work for the most part...Another small gripe is I usually roll my jackets up when I stash them until I need them, and when I pull the Aegis out it and put it on, I look like a southern gentleman who passed out in his summer linen suit, wrinkles...but once you put it on, wear it for awhile, and warm it up, they kinda disappear, but that is a minor detail compared to the overall positives. Possibly adding some spandex yarn into the primary material, or just in the stress points, would be a wonderful addition for future thought. So would I buy it again and tell my friends to get one? Yes, and yes...

5.0 out of 5 stars great rain jacket, October 18, 2012
Great product. feels very sturdy and able to go through brush without tearing. This is a jacket you can be confident in.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent jacket, September 22, 2014
I bought this jacket for my son, who bikes, hikes and camps, and who asked me to buy him this specific make. He loves it, and has been wearing it in all kinds of weather; last I saw him wearing it, this July, it still looked beautiful (after major brutalizing), and did everything it promised to do - water tightness, breathability , etc. I know HE loves it, so I guess I'm recommending it in his name...

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›