Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Crown the Empire Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on December 16, 2012
I bought this jacket for international business travel. In my work I don't have to wear suits on customer visits so I have more options for outerwear. I needed a jacket that was light and thin for packing in my luggage and take up minimal space in the messenger bag I carry with me during the work day. It needed to keep me dry and reasonably comfortable in summer rains and turn back the wind and hold in the warmth in the spring and fall.

This is jacket has done everything I needed it to do in wet Asian summers and cool European springs. In all black it looks great without being too technical or outdoorsy for business wear.

In warm weather the pit zips, the net fabric pockets, the two zippers, the Velcro points and snaps on the storm flap and sleeves all help dump heat during the rain while keeping you dry. It keeps you from marinating, but if you have to be active in hot, wet weather, say walk six blocks in light rain you will sweat in the jacket a bit as there is no large horizontal caped-vent across the back like golf or biking jackets. But if the choice is sweat or get soaked I'll take the former.

In the fall and spring this is an effective windproof outer layer. If you have a good sweater, neck gaiter, light weight gloves and a watch cap you can be comfortable in this into the 40's - IF you're walking. If you're standing around for 15 minutes waiting for a train or bus the low-end of comfortable is in the 50's with or without rain. In both cases the fold away hood really helps keep out the chill. If you expect to deal with temperatures below that, the jacket's length and lack of insulation mean you'll need to pack something warmer. The side pockets are big enough to store the gloves, neck gaiter and hat so you can take them with you. I've also used it over a T-Shirt on a nice, cool summer night on the waterfront.

Buy your size. The jacket is designed to allow for a fleece vest or sweater as a mid-layer and it gives the room to do that. The hood is big enough to fit over a watch cap or a baseball cap, but not a bike helmet. The pocket on the upper left arm is a handy place for holding rental car keys or room keys. You can also use it as a water resistant place to stow your cell phone, Bluetooth headset or camera for quick access. Unlike other reviews, I like the wrist closures, haven't had a problem with them.

I've put a couple of hard years on this jacket with no tears, scuffs or obvious wear. It is holds up to abuse. It still looks great.

As good as it is I'd like to see improvement in these areas:
* While the jacket is long enough to cover the hem of a sweater, it could be about two to three inches longer to give more wind protection.
* The pit-zips unzip from the elbow toward the armpit, it should unzip from the armpit toward the elbow. This would allow more effective dumping of body heat with a partial unzipping and make it easier to unzip.
* The collar has a great soft lining that keeps the cold nylon off the neck when it's chilly, that lining should be in the pockets between the nylon and your hands, which would act as nice hand warmer and keep the cold nylon of the hands when it is chilly.
* A bi-fold back to give more ease of movement in the shoulders when wearing over a fleece layer.
* Subtle light reflecting points on the back, both arms and front.

I'd buy another one in a heartbeat if I were to misplace this jacket. I'd recommend it to anyone that wants a light, waterproof and windproof jacket for hiking, adventure travel and business travel.
on March 22, 2013
I live in Seattle and go hiking every weekend. You can imagine the kind of weather that we get...with all the drizzle and all. The temperatures in the mountains are a bit colder with unpredictable weather. I was using an older North Face that trapped way too much heat when it was raining and a lot of water was able to seep through the fabric, which I thought was waterproof at the time. It was most likely a mixture of seepage and sweat.

I ordered this Marmot jacket in black, which seems impossible to find, even at the Marmot store! It's a bit expensive, however, you get what you pay for. I wanted a rain jacket that could breathe and this is the jacket that does allows for this. The fabric itself is able to breathe, but with the underarm and front pocket vents, it makes hiking a breeze.

The hood rolls up into the nicely insulated collar. The zippers are all lined with waterproof materials to avoid water seepage. I bought this jacket knowing that it was thin, but just layer up and no problem. The jacket is extremely light in weight, which makes it easy to roll up and can fit in my tiny camelbak bag, leaving room for snacks even. It's windproof, waterproof, and very breathable. Exactly what I need it for and it does the job to its fullest. Love it. Worthy every penny.

Also, sizing seems to be appropriate. I bought a NorthFace Bionic Jacket in medium and it was hardly covering my belt. This is at least covers my belt, but can be shorter on some individuals. I'm 6 foot, 180 lbs, medium to heavy build.
on October 20, 2012
Living in the city of wind (Chicago), this jacket is ideal for those rainy days when you are out and about walking the streets. I was originally looking for something a bit heavier for those in-between seasonal days when the temperature gets to be about 35-50 degrees fahrenheit. So when I got the jacket I was a bit dissappointed in its weight/thickness since I feel it is ideal for nothing below 45 degrees (without a base layer). But that I blame on myself for not researching the product a bit more. From a performance perspective this jacket is great. Lightweight so not to burden your movements, strong enough to repel any deluge, the hood has a zip cord so you don't go losing it on those windy days, and underarm zippers to keep you cool on those warmer days. All in all this is a great jacket.
on August 13, 2013
I bought this because I needed a solid rain jacket that could also keep me warm when it's chilly out, but not burning up and sweating at the same time. And I didn't want something fancy and $500.

This delivered perfectly.

I've been using it in rainy Wellington NZ for the last few months and loving it. It is the perfect weight, fits me nicely and has zippers so you can increase the airflow if it's too hot. I actually find myself getting almost too warm inside this despite it being so thin and light. It's magical. I highly recommend it. It also looks pretty slick and professional.
on December 1, 2013
I have had the Aegis for about a year. I stay dry in downpours and I am amazed how breathable the jacket is. On hot days you're going to sweat but not as bad as I have with other plastic-like rain jackets. I am 6' tall 165 lbs and the large fit with room for wearing a fleece shirt or jacket.
on October 24, 2011
This jackets seems really minimalist, with layers I used it for 5 days of camping in nighttime below freezing temperatures and was never really cold. I get cold easily, too. The jacket requires that you manage it properly with dumping heat when necessary and keeping it tightly closed in weather and cold, but it performs. I am really happy with the purchase. It fits in any pack and is ready when the temperature or percipitation falls. Sizing seems right on.

Highly recommended.
on August 26, 2012
I've enjoyed this jacket's comfort and fit while backpacking and certainly around town. Color and style are modern. Picked mine up from EMS in-store clearance for $95. You'll be pleased with this coat.
on March 21, 2012
It has a really nice shape that it suits you very well.. But don't expect to get warm with this raincoat. It is awesome for rainy weathers..
on November 7, 2011
Great jacket for the price!!! Comfortable and excellent for riding your bike in city rainy days -- Had one in Boston and SF -- Great --
on June 6, 2013
Overall, this is one of the better rain jackets I have had. It definitely reduced the amount of internal moisture compared to standard rain wear. Still not entirely free from internal moisture, especially with heavy physical activity. Fit was ample, perhaps a bit too big if you weren't wearing any layers underneath. Don't like the flimsy and weak (separation strength) Velcro closures. They often came apart with the slightest interference. I really liked the bill treatment on the hood. I wear glasses and this definitely helped during walking/hiking in the drizzle.