Most helpful positive review
7 of 7 people found the following review helpful
Lightweight and Warm
on January 24, 2013
I bought this when it was on sale at a local discount store. So far I have been pleasantly surprised by it.
Warmth - This is sooo warm for how lightweight it is. This morning I missed the bus and had to walk around a mile and a half to campus when it was hovering around -2 F outside. I had on a nice sweater underneath and it kept me plenty warm during my walk. Now, I wouldn't use just this if I were going to go sit somewhere in that temperature, but while moving around it was great.
Durability - So far it has held up pretty well. I've worn it almost everyday and have yet to spot any problem areas. A little bit of down has come out but not nearly as much as other down coats I've had. As others have mentioned, the material is quite thin, though, and I'm pretty sure this would tear if you wore it hiking and snagged a branch.
A few random thoughts:
- One of my favorite things is that the pockets are so warm. The pockets are placed under the down filling, rather than over so they get insulated too. My hands are always the first thing to get cold, but they stay nice and toasty in this jacket.
- I haven't had any problems with the zipper catching so far as mentioned by another reviewer.
- They seem to run a little big also. I wear a large in almost everything but the medium in this fits well and still leaves me plenty of room to wear a sweater or thin hoodie underneath.
- If you're planning on wearing this in rain or snow I would probably get a lightweight shell as this isn't very water resistant.
- It packs into its own pocket for easy storage.
If you're looking for a lightweight winter jacket that will keep you warm under most circumstances I would definitely recommend the Marmot Zeus!