5.0 out of 5 stars Great Shell for Rain or Snow
Published on September 3, 2012 by Psychomiko

1.0 out of 5 stars Quality Control Issues
Published 20 months ago by Lance A. Foster

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Shell for Rain or Snow, September 3, 2012
Bought this jacket for the wife and I for serious waterproofing as we go camping and backpacking, and planning backpacking trips to do the CDT. Before I purchased this jacket my most advanced rain protection was a military heavy duty plastic poncho that didn't breathe at all. Needless to say I was a little skeptical about jumping from a $5 poncho to a $119 jacket (what it cost when I bought it). I have not been disappointed though. The jacket's been through a few rain storms and performed like a champ, much better than any poncho, with the added bonus of some breathability. It's completely waterproof and windproof. Water beads up and runs off, the lined collar keeps your neck warm and dry, and the large hood keeps water from running off the jacket and onto your face. The hood also has a little bit of a lip, which helps keep rain off your face even when it's blowing at you.

I did a lot of research into this jacket before I bought it, and here's what I found: Marmot uses their Membrain Strata fabric in this jacket. Water proof fabrics are rated on a scale of mm of water per hour. It means the amount of water and water pressure a fabric can sustain before it becomes saturated. The scale goes from 0-10,000 mm/hr, which is rainproof but not waterproof, all the way up to 35,000 mm/hr and above, like PVC, heavy plastics, and metal. Marmot's Precip fabric (used in the Precip jacket) is rated at 15,000 mm/hr, this Membrain Strata fabric is rated at 20,000 mm/hr, and as a reference, Gore-Tex is rated at 28,000 mm/hr. Both this Membrain fabric and Gore-Tex are in the same class of totally waterproof, even under serious pressure. This means that either Membrain or Gore-Tex can stay waterproof through serious downpours even in very high wind, and can even withstand shallow immersion. Membrain and Gore-Tex have the exact same breathability. This is the best waterproof fabric you can buy if Gore-Tex is out of your budget, as it is mine.

As one reviewer pointed out, the sizing of this jacket runs a little on the large side. But keep this in mind: the design and fabric used in this jacket is meant for serious water and prolonged periods of exposure. The large size is meant to give you extra room to layer insulation under this jacket in order to use it as a shell. And that's what this jacket is, a shell. If the rain or wind is cold, you won't get wet, but the cold fabric will make you feel cold if you don't have layers underneath. This is a great jacket, but it may be overkill for the occasional rain shower. If you're looking for a backpacking or trekking shell, or a serious storm jacket without the heavy price of Gore-Tex, you've found it. If you just need rain protection on your way to and from work, I'd save my money and get a Precip jacket or something a little less expensive.

Finally, a note on care: waterproof fabrics are fragile when washing. Wash only when you really need to and use a powder detergent. Liquid detergents can fill little spaces in the fabric that make it waterproof and reduce its ability to keep you dry. Also, after washing, you should always dry your waterproof fabrics in the dryer as it reactivates the waterproofing and helps meld the layers of fabric together again. You will see a huge reduction in waterproofing if you don't put your jacket in the dryer.

5.0 out of 5 stars After careful selection--fully satisfied, February 9, 2013
Roger Hayes (Carlyle, IL USA) - See all my reviews
I took my time and looked at quite a few light rain jackets before ordering the Marmot Oracle. I wanted something for spring, summer, and fall, in other words something light that would keep me dry but not too warm, and something I could use as a nice-looking windbreaker. If I want more warmth, I can add a layer underneath, but if it's too warm by itself, such as if it had a liner, it would be too warm in moderate weather. After reading many of the reviews here, I was prepared to box it up and send it back because of improper fit. I'm a bit over 5' 10", 180 pounds, and wear a large in most things. According to Marmot's sizing info, I'm one of those who are between sizes. But I went with a large, figuring I'd rather have sleeves too long than not long enough, and I didn't want it too tight in the chest. The sleeves are a tad long, but the wrist hook & loop tabs keep them from extending too far over my hands, and allow them to stay in place while taking the jacket off and on, so they don't need constant adjustment with every wearing. The rest of the jacket fits nicely; it's not bulky and not too tight, either, but has room for a sweatshirt or fleece jacket worn underneath--I tried that. The zipper is great; it's very smooth and easy to operate. A surprise was the hood. With other jackets I seldom wear a hood, preferring a rain hat. But the Oracle hood would suffice by itself. The collar zips up to the chin as shown, and the hood fastens with hook & loop tabs hidden inside the front of the collar, and can be adjusted to close down over the face. The stiff brim keeps most of the rain away from one's face, and the adjustment in the back prevents it from coming down over the eyes. Once the hood is adjusted the way I like it, it still rides nicely when I'm not wearing it, and looks fine. And as others have said, it's definitely a comfortable jacket that allows free range of motion. I'm happy to say I made the right choice.

5.0 out of 5 stars A note on sizing..., December 12, 2011
Michael Podlone (Sunnyvale, Ca USA) - See all my reviews
After looking at the sizing charts on Amazon and on the Marmot webiste I decided to go with a medium. I am around 39 inches in the chest, which on both charts means I am a medium (also 5'9"ish 175-180lbs athletic build). Even though the sleeve lengths seemed a bit long I figured the chest measurement was the most important metric. The medium arrived and seemed big. The stomach bulged, the sleeves went passed my wrists, I felt no restriction whatsoever. It was not so big that immediately knew I had to return it, so I ordered the small to compare. The small fits much better all around. I still have enough room for some layers underneath, the jacket doesn't bulge in the stomach, and the sleeves are not too long when unfastened. If you want an form-fitting jacket choose a size down.

Anyway, the jacket is beautiful and leaves nothing to be desired. Although, I am a little confused about the hood storage. There seems to be a lot of pressure on the single Velcro latch that holds the hood in the collar, which could lead to failure over a long period of time. When I unzip the hood completely and store it there is less pressure on the Velcro, but I don't know which method is correct.

The jacket is great. If you're in the middle of two sizes like I was, choose a size down unless you plan on wearing another jacket underneath. Shipping was prompt.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lightweight and waterproof, April 11, 2013
Took delivery of this Marmot Oracle jacket. For the relatively high price paid it's super light and compacts down to a really small package that would take minimal space/weight in a daypack or a purse. Will torture test this jacket next month in Taiwan during monsoon season to really test it's waterproof/windproof capabilities.

The sleeve fasteners use the same sleeve fasteners as the North Face Bionic jackets (I own one) which I've run across reviews that the style/design of those fasteners seem to lose their velcro stickiness over time. Will see if that's an issue with the Marmot.

Fantastic bright blue color for increased visibility while city walking for safety.

Only nit is that the hood is not a big deep one (like my North Face ski jacket) that you could just pull down a little over your my eyeglasses and stay dry without the need for large brimmed waterproof hat (Outdoor Research Seattle Sombrero). If you're enduring monsoon level water you'll want to pair this jacket with a waterproof hat. For the occasional surprise thunderstorm the stock hood will do.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well, January 28, 2013
This is a classy rain jacket. It has every thing you need. I hesitated because the price is steep for me, but it's well worth the expense.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice rain jacket., January 28, 2013
Product purchased as a gift. Recipient extremely pleased as the rain jacket looks exactly as depicted in the picture and effectively keeps you dry in the rain.

1.0 out of 5 stars Quality Control Issues, April 7, 2013
I really liked the functionality of the jacket, but the first week I used it, the zipper "box" fell off, making it impossible to zip the jacket up. I thought Marmot made quality gear, but this was a really disappointing experience. Hopefully it as just a one-off experience, but it sounds like Marmot may have quality control issues. I'm going to have amazon replace the jacket and I'll give them another try.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great lightweight rain jacket., April 7, 2014
I am 5'11 and weight 145 lbs. and the small fits me perfectly. I love Marmot products and the Oracle jacket is no exception. It's lightweight with all the features I need (pockets, pit zips) and has a few nice touches, like soft lining on the cuffs and collar. I do wish it had a couple of mesh pockets inside to carry a wallet, cellphone, etc. Not sure why Marmot chose to make the hood detachable...who wants a rain shell without a hood? It just adds extra weight and bulk around the collar. I have noticed that the MemBrain Strata Waterproof / Breathable Fabric is highly breathable and while nice on warm rainy days, makes it necessary to add an insulating layer underneath in colder weather. Marmot's proprietary fabric is so breathable that it doesn't hold in much warmth. This jacket isn't as warm as a 3-layer Gore-Tex shell or other comparable 3-layer jacket. I suppose that's fine if you are only looking for a mild-weather solution, but this jacket probably isn't going to work on the ski slopes if it's cold.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great jacket except the zippers catch, March 14, 2014
Benjamin (Decatur, GA, United States) - See all my reviews
I purchased this jacket for use while backpacking and hiking, but it turns out I have used it most while walking my dogs. It serves its purpose of keeping me dry very well even at the seams. The rain rolls down onto your pants which is of course not a fault of the jacket but something to keep in mind as you are shopping. There is no shortage of pockets: two for the hands and one "Napoleon" one the outside plus one mesh and one "wallet" pocket inside. The hood is detachable and there are "pit zips" to help keep you cool. Those help to make the jacket versatile. My main gripe is that all of the zippers catch on the surrounding fabric. It doesn't hurt the fabric but it takes some extra effort to free the zipper. For the front zip this is not an issue unless one of your hands is full or carrying leashes. For the pit zips it means you cannot unzip them without help from a friend or taking the jacket completely off which of course defeats the whole purpose. Otherwise I would recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, March 28, 2013
This a great jacket, super light and durable. You don't need a lot of base layers to keep warm this jacket keeps out the wind and keeps you dry