Published on May 4, 2011 by W. Moncure

2.0 out of 5 stars Good jacket for bike commuting...UPDATED
I've owned the Marmot Precip Jacket for about nine months, and have primarily used it for bike commuting.

Published 15 months ago by JD

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Rain Jacket for Mid-Atlantic Spring - and Then Some, May 4, 2011
W. Moncure (Fredericksburg, Virginia, USA) - See all my reviews
I was trapped in Cincinnati about a week ago when the incessant rain came through. From sprinkles in the evenings, to at one point sheets of rain coming down that would have soaked me otherwise, the Marmot Precip jacket that I purchased at Dick's Sporting Goods turned out to be one of the best investments for the week (and probably well into the future) that I've made in my wardrobe purchases.

One thing about this jacket is that if you run water from the sink over the sleeve, absolutely no water gets through. It just runs right off. Truly watertight, yet comfortably thin enough to be breathable. Also if it's dusted with rain drops, you can just "shake it out" before you go inside and hang it up without water all over the place sliding all over you like on some more traditional rubberized raincoats. It packs extremely well for the business traveler (me) or backpacker, and can be layered to achieve the necessary warmth for the season. I imagine that this jacket will work well through the summer with my short sleeved collared shirts.

One interesting thing about what water does on this jacket is that like a newly waxed car, the drops of water seem to just stay in place - and then just fall off when you're moving. If I remember correctly the last North Face raincoat I had seemed to let water just roll all over the place, and soak into the corners and and seams. No issues here with this jacket.

The one issue, however, that I had with this jacket is that it doesn't push water away from your legs. I had a nice pair of slacks on while headed out for dinner in downtown Cincinnati. Running through the sheets of rain made the pants so soaked they stuck to my skin like a second layer of skin. But my starched shirt underneath stayed dry and crisp.

In short, a great jacket. But if I'm heading out through sheets of rain in a city, walking to or from my car, I'm going to get a full-length raincoat. But for everyday use, summer shorts and summer rains, or even fall drizzle, this is a great jacket. If you want to go all out Marmot also makes Precip pants - but they don't go well with button-down oxfords and leather bucs, so I'll have to pass. Great coat for the lightweight packer, business traveler, or anyone else who wants a light and seemingly durable, effective raincoat that breathes reasonably well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Found snow. Wasn't expecting snow., October 21, 2012
This review is from: Marmot Men's Precip Jacket (Apparel)
I went out on a hike in the Government Camp area of Mt. Hood yesterday. I was expecting rain and this would be the second time I was going to wear my cobalt blue Precip on a rainy hike. The first time, last weekend, it was just a sprinkle and I stayed completely dry. This time it was raining pretty hard and my friend and I were going on a lost hike - all the bridges across the 5 streams we had to cross had fallen long ago. When we hit 1400 to 4000 feet we experienced showers, light and heavy. I was perfectly dry and warm. At 4000 feet we crossed the snow line. I put on a fleece over my wool shirt and zipped up my precip. By the time I hit the summit, around 4500 feet, I was covered in snow and afraid I might lose my toes since I had not worn adequate snow boots. My torso was still dry and warm. We ran back down below the snow line to heat my feet back up. On the way back I fell into one of those streams we had to cross, but the jacket repelled the water (my pants did too, but that's another review).

Because it was a lost hike, we ended up crawling through some bushes with sharp thorns while trying to find ideal spots to cross the streams. I could feel the thorns scratching against the shell, but later examination showed no damage.

I purchased this at REI for a great price. I also looked at the REI brand rain shell and Patagonia's rain shell. My main reason for choosing this one was that it was a little bit longer than the other two - where the other two came about to my belt with my arms down and this one came below my belt - and the material was much less crisp than the Patagonia shell.

I was very satisfied with the performance of the precip and will continue to use it as my outer shell in my cold weather hikes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Marmont Precip Rain Jacket, November 28, 2011
Purchased a new Precip Jacket. Ready for a trip in a couple of weeks. I have had another Precip jacket that worked wonderfully. I just wore it out after many, many years of great services. It finally wore out with my backpack sholder straps. Have used other rain jacks and this one stood the test of time and the elements. I give marmont 5 stars on all of their gear.
The Precip keeps out the rain. Eliminatets sweating with the underarm zippers, and the coating inside the jacket doesn't stick to your skin like other rain jackets. I use this in ALL seasons, Great non-clammy jacket in the summer rain, and makes a great wind stopper and holds in the heat in the winter time as an outer shell. Doesn't seem to mind a little bushwacking either. I have been through heavy brush and briers and this thin jacket came out unscathed.
The new jacket is a replacement for one I just simply wore out after many years of hard service. I'm sure this one will give the same great service.

2.0 out of 5 stars Good jacket for bike commuting...UPDATED, June 1, 2013
JD (Ohio, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Marmot Men's Precip Jacket (Apparel)

It's a great jacket for riding a bike in cold temperatures. The heat builds up inside and keeps me warm. I've used it while biking in thirty-degree temps with only a dress shirt underneath and have felt warm. In even colder temps, I've worn a fleece or sweater underneath and have been comfy while riding to work. The only problem is that the jacket doesn't really breathe, so your perspiration kind of builds up on the inside of the jacket and can be a little wet. Pit zips help, but are only a slight improvement.

The Precip keeps rain out pretty well. I've used it in heavy rain storms and have been almost completely dry underneath.

Durability is where I'd give this jacket four stars. Mine tore fairly easily when my dog jumped up on me. However, I was able to fix it from the inside with a patch I bought on Amazon. I'm just not sure how that patch will hold for a very long time. It cleans up well, even when I had a hiking accident and the front of the jacket had a fair amount of blood on it. But like other reviews, I just don't feel like this jacket will last a long time.

If you're budget conscious, this jacket should suffice your need for a decent rain jacket. However, it may be worth spending a little more for something that's a little more durable and feels like it will last you longer if you can.
---

UPDATE: 1 1/2 year later.

This was my go-to jacket when bike commuting year-round or running errands in the spring and fall. My Precip jacket isn't 100% waterproof, and I get seepage through it around my shoulders, chest, and upper back. That began happening less than a year into my ownership. Water doesn't repel like a newly waxed car.

I did get a lot of good use out of it, but in the future, I'm going to invest in a Patagonia rain jacket. A product like this should not break down after slightly more than a year. Hence, I lower my rating to two stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Pleased, January 15, 2013
Overall: It's a solid raincoat for the price.

The material is thinner, but durability is not an issue. There is some signs of wear around the seams, but that's standard for the type of material. It will definitely keep you dry and it's about as breathable as a good raincoat can be - which is to say not very. Super basic design and very limited/no real unique features, but that's not the point of a rain coat. The pockets have plenty of room (they're actually kind of hug on the inside), and the pit vents are long enough (although they don't have any mesh or netting when opened, so it's just a big zip hole).

Most important: This jacket works well as an outer layer when it gets colder. I live in DC and it rains a lot during the winter and the temp is lower (30s to 40s), so layering is easy, convenient, and very effective with this coat. I'll wear a hoodie or my NorthFace fleece jacket with this and this Jacket combined with a solid softshell underneath has even kept me plenty warm back home in Minnesota in temperatures around 5 degrees Fahrenheit.

The medium is a true medium and fits perfectly, even with layering without getting too bulky. I'm 5'11'' and 165 lbs.

A note on color: the electric yellow is definitely a bit bright, but it's not as neon/reflective as others like it. Plus the neon-ness becomes less of an issue as the coat just naturally gets dirtier.

Bottom Line: Worth the money. I'm also now a big fan of Marmot coats. It's truly a simple, effective, minimalist-type rain coat (and I mean that in a very positive sense).

5.0 out of 5 stars Why doesn't Amazon offer the NEW Marmot Precip jacket with improved NANOPRO lining?, April 3, 2014
This review is from: Marmot Men's Precip Jacket (Apparel)
Marmot's replacement Precip jacket has a new, upgraded lining -- why doesn't Amazon sell the new version?

I have had the OLD Precip for 10 years, and its generous pit zips and general venting have been a godsend, and the hood velcro setup works great. I've stood in rain while teaching, as well as moved in this jacket. It truly compresses and packs small, if you don't mind it wrinkled temporarily. It's extremely light weight. A little crinkle-noisy, but not bad. It has drawstrings where it should, and they work well both going smaller, as well as going bigger. THough it features mesh around the hip pockets, most of the jacket is unlined, and not very comfortable against bare skin, because it feels clammy on skin,, but who wears a rainjacket against bare skin?

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Bike Commuting Shell, February 2, 2013
This review is from: Marmot Men's Precip Jacket (Apparel)
Attention Bike Commuters: This jacket is awesome, and well worth the price. Buy it.

I live in Chicago and commute to work on my bike year-round, about 8 miles each way. Needless to say, it gets COLD and WINDY during the winter, and has plenty of rain during the rest of the year.

One key to bike commuting gear is rain and wind PROOF. Not water "resistant." Not wind "resistant." "Resistant" is worthless. When it comes to your outer layer, during rain or during the cold, what you need is a shell that is waterPROOF and windPROOF.

The Precip Jacket is exactly that. When cycling, even if you have multiple layers, with a fleece or a 'soft shell' jacket, the wind is going to cut right through it, and you're going to freeze your a** off. When you're jogging or walking this isn't as important, but when you're riding a bike, the wind becomes much more significant factor.

So when it comes to your outer layer, what you need is something wind/water PROOF. Your shell doesn't need to provide insulation, at all. The job of the shell is to stop the wind and stop the rain. It should also be durable, nothing dainty. This jacket does exactly that, and it does so at a very fair price point. I don't think you'll find another shell that does the job as well as the Precip for this price.

I wear this jacket year round. In the winter I wear it every day, underneath multiple insulating and wicking layers. On the coldest days, I start with a thin wicking base layer, a wicking 'mid' layer, a fleece, then the Precip. If it's a little warmer, I'll skip the mid layer or the fleece. The shell keeps out the wind, and keeps me nice and toasty.

The pit zips are also great for cooling. The reality is that the jacket will trap in moisture from sweating, there's no way around that, in my opinion, but the pit zips provide a good amount of ventilation. More ventilation than Gore-Tex will provide.

If you're spending $300+ on a Gore Tex shell, you're wasting your money. You kick out a lot of sweat when you're cycling in the cold, so you're going to have some condensation in any jacket, bottom line. Pit zips help minimize this, to the degree possible.

I also wear my Precip during the rest of the year, whenever it's rainy. This jacket will 100% repel the water and keep you dry. The seams are sealed. This is the real deal.

I've had mine for 2 years, and it's still going strong. It is starting to soften a little bit, so I'm expecting the waterproof-ness to wear down in another year or two, but that's to be expected. At that point, I'll buy another Precip, and consider it $100 well spent.

So bottom-line: if you commute to work on a bike, this is a durable, windproof shell that gets the job done, at a very fair price. Well worth it.

3.0 out of 5 stars This jacket is just ok., October 13, 2013
This review is from: Marmot Men's Precip Jacket (Apparel)
I like the Precip jacket because it is a decent value for the money. Just don't expect all the elements of something like a gore-tex jacket because you will be disappointed. If I had to rate this jacket against my ArcTeryx goretex jacket, I'd give it a 5 with the ArcTeryx being a 10. I know it's not a fair comparison, but they both are rain jackets. The AT is just much more breathable, especially under more aerobic conditions. This is a big deal to me because I don't like sweat being captured on the inside of the material or stuck on my skin and this will happen with the PreCip jacket if you keep it on long enough. Also, the material is very thin. Paper thin. Not a big deal if your ok with that, but it shows wrinkles faster, can be noisy as you move, feels flimsy, and feels clammy after awhile. As of now, I only use the Precip as an emergency summer rain jacket that I leave in the car trunk around town. I wouldn't use it on a serious multi-day backpacking trip nor as my main rain jacket for outdoors-man travels. For those times I want 2.5 or 3.0 layer Goretex fabric.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great jacket for the right situations, October 18, 2013
[...] has a great review of this rain jacket and others. I bought this jacket based on the wirecutter.com review. I needed a lighter weight jacket for weekly mountain day hikes of 6-10 miles, 1,000-2,000 feet elevation gain. My other rain jacket, a Pacific Trail Hydro Vent, is mesh lined and much heavier. The Marmot Precip is non-mesh lined, light weight, well made and kept me dry in rain storms. It is also a great wind shell for warmth during the early morning when it is cold and during lunch time stops at mountain summits where it can be very windy. The underarm ventilation zips are very handy for extra breathability. For constant hiking wear in rainy weather, the Marmot Precip is best for cooler weather (60 degrees or less) where heavy sweat is not prevalent. In elevation climbs in rainy, warmer weather, sweat accumulates on my arms and the Precip clings to my arms making it uncomfortable to wear. In contrast the mesh lining on the Pacific Trail parka extends down the arms providing an air space for added breathability.

So I love the Marmot Precip for its light weight and use it as a wind shell and for quick rain showers in warmer weather and for all cooler weather situations. For warmer weather when heavier, constant rain is likely, I carry the heavier Pacific Trail jacket. That way, I get the best of both worlds.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for its purpose!, December 28, 2012
Traveling in the Yucatan, this was an ideal rainproof, windproof, easy to layer under or not, easy to stuff in a daypack jacket! Very happy with it! I really like the way the attached hood is designed, to shield the head and eyeglasses from rain and not blow off the head in wind.

Marmot Men's Precip Jacket