5.0 out of 5 stars Great Jacket
Published on June 25, 2011 by justThisGuy

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok for mild weather. Not great at anything in particular.
As soft shell jackets go, this one is very light and thin. That means good breathability, but little protection from the elements.

Published 8 months ago by Beaver Snake

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Jacket, June 25, 2011
I purchased this jacket for a trip to Mt.Rainier that I am taking next month. My review is based on comfort of fit, functionality and quality. The jacket fits great. I am 242lbs and 6'2" and I purchased the Xlarge. When I am wearing the jacket there is enough comfortable space for a base layer and a mid layer. The cuffs are adjustable to seal the wind out and the waist line of the jacket has extra length and draw strings. I stood in the rain for an extended amount of time and this jacket repels water well but is not water proof. The fabric is amazingly comfortable and the jacket is very low weight. As for warmth levels I can't rate that until I take it on the mountain as I live in Texas and it is hot year round here. So far I feel that this jacket was a wise purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very nice looking jacket that works as advertised, November 7, 2012
This review is from: Marmot Men's Rom Jacket (Apparel)
I am very satisfied with this jacket. I ordered it in brick red and I love the way it looks. This coat has a very cozy fit and you can insolate your body pretty well; you can tighten it at the waist, wrists and neck.

One thing I should note, I wouldn't depend on the jacket alone to keep yourself warm under 35 degree weather, but it is rain/wind proof so it would be a great jacket for layering. Since the jacket has an athletic fit, you might want to buy a size up if you want to use it for layering. I bought a medium and it fits perfecty but there isn't much room for layering because the coat is so snug. I live in Alaska, so I kind of wish I bought a size large so I could layer up but the jacket does exactly as it's advertised and it looks fantastic so that's why I gave it five stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Jacket, December 12, 2012
This review is from: Marmot Men's Rom Jacket (Apparel)
"That guy has great jacket game" is what my now girlfriend said when she saw me at the other end of a bar wearing this jacket. I'm 6'4 and 187 lbs. Its hard to find jackets that fit well but the ROM Jacket in large fits amazing. The sleeves cover my arms and the jacket goes past my waist. This is a great looking jacket, I wear it when I go hiking, camping and to my professional job. Its light weight and moves with you all while keeping you warm and keeping the wind out. The ROM is easily one of my favorite jackets I have ever had.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I was looking for, May 16, 2012
eyeland (Bayonne, NJ) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Marmot Men's Rom Jacket (Apparel)
I'd been searching for a lightly insulated, waterproof hooded softshell for a while, and this Marmot model fit the bill exactly. Most of what I found online have the hoods as helmet-compatible which means it's too big and balloon-y over the head for a non-helmeted wearer. When I saw a vid of this being worn, I took the plunge. That was easy since it's at least half as pricey as similarly capable jacket from Arcteryx.

As described, it's fit is athletic. If you have a potbelly, it will nudge you to shed the fat to look good in this jacket and that cannot be a negative. It is about two to three inches longer down the hem than my other softshells and I appreciate that because you get the essential butt coverage that you usually get only from a down parka or long wool coat both of which are not as light or packable.

It shipped in a small box measuring 8x6x4" and was packed tight with no wiggle room which attest to its compressibility. It will occupy little space when stashed in your pack or even a messenger bag.

I haven't really tried it on in the cold since I got this at the tail end of spring and haven't verified earlier reviews of how incredibly warm it is. What I experimented on is its waterproofness, which I did by putting a sleeve under tap; water just beads off and there is no feeling of any moisture at all on the fabric when I touched it afterwards. Though I don't intend to use it as a full-pledged raincoat, there will probably come a time when all I have against sudden rain is this jacket and so I hope the stitches don't let in moisture too.

Overall this is an excellent purchase for me and I look forward to making it pay me back with comfort and security from inclement weather for many years.

4.0 out of 5 stars Stop worrying about windchill, September 10, 2013
This review is from: Marmot Men's Rom Jacket (Apparel)
I've been using the Marmot ROM jacket as an outer layer, wearing only a base layer underneath, in temperatures ranging from the low 60s to the high 40s.

For me, there are two great things about the ROM: the Windstopper fabric and the hybrid construction. Windstopper does just that; windchill, unless you are out in gale force winds, ceases to be a factor in your activities. Breathability of the jacket is enhanced by the use of regular softshell material along the sides. This fabric is lighter than Windstopper as well, helping to minimize the total weight of the garment.

The thing to keep in mind is that the ROM is not a particularly warm jacket. I think it is best suited for when you're doing active stuff and generating body heat in dry conditions. An insulated jacket or an all-Windstopper jacket is a better choice if you plan to stand around or will be experiencing long periods of inactivity. And one more thing--if space in your pack is at a premium, the ROM is not that compressible.

Four stars, with the caveat that you gotta keep movin' for this jacket to be at its best.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great rain jacket. Not great for cooler winds or low temps though., July 28, 2013
J. Bean "The Bean" (Lexington, KY United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Marmot Men's Rom Jacket (Apparel)
This is a great looking jacket. I have gotten compliments on it from strangers. It does great in the rain and dries quickly. Not great for stopping wind though. In just some mildly cool winds, I could feel every gust right through the jacket. But I bought this mostly for a cover in the summer and spring, so I can live with it. Just don't expect it to be much comfort in cool wet climates.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rom Jacket Marmot, August 16, 2012
This review is from: Marmot Men's Rom Jacket (Apparel)
Has to be the most multi functional jacket I have ever purchased it breathes well and insulates trapping warm air but allowing moisture to escape! I have tested it in many situations already except heavy rain which I guess you would have a rain shell for that purpose but I stand by the Rom for comfort, functionality, practicality and style it's a winner in my book of adventures!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok for mild weather. Not great at anything in particular., November 26, 2013
This review is from: Marmot Men's Rom Jacket (Apparel)

In heavy rain, this jacket leave you soaked to the bone within about 5 to 10 minutes. I had the displeasure of walking to a lecture in a downpour a while back. I was soaked when I arrived, which surprised me a little, because my last soft shell (a North Face Apex - thicker) did a great job with rain. No worries, I don't mind being wet. The problem was that I then froze in the air conditioning while my jacket cooled off next to me. When it was time to leave, I put on a cold wet jacket and was positively uncomfortable.

The breathability means it doesn't actually do the greatest job cutting the wind either. The thinner panels under the arms let a lot of cold air right through. Those panels were one of the reasons I talked myself into this jacket instead of insisting on pit zips as I had promised myself. I find them to be a compromise that isn't particularly great at fulfilling the function of weatherproofing or dumping heat.

Fit: I'm 6'2" and 180(ish) pounds. I ordered a large, and would have sent it back had I not been out of the country at the time. The nice thing is that the sleeves really are long enough and the fabric and cut stretchy and roomy enough to allow for full range of motion, which is rarely the case. That is what this jacket is named for and it fits. On me, the jacket is roomy enough in the torso for layers, but not really in the sleeves. I have a hooded zip fleece that I almost always wear with it. That and a short sleeve ice breaker shirt pretty much maxes it out. If I add in a long sleeve icebreaker shirt, I can stay warm, but the sleeves feel stuffed. My arms aren't exactly huge either, just long. Torso length is right for keeping everything covered while in 85% of bending and stretching.

My Apex was my everyday 3 1/2 season jacket in Seattle, and I loved it until I wore holes in the cuffs. I'm now a student on a budget, so I have to make this purchase last. When I give up and pick my next soft shell, I will go for something thicker, maybe even a hybrid hard shell, with pit zips and probably skip the hood. Maybe if you need a hood, you need a shell.

5.0 out of 5 stars I bought a 2nd one; that's Love!, February 9, 2013
This review is from: Marmot Men's Rom Jacket (Apparel)
I saw this go on sale and couldn't resist the chance to buy a 2nd even though my original is only a year old. This jacket is light weight compared to a parka or a wool or leather jacket. It is windproof which means that it can take much colder weather than a traditional shell. I can walk the dogs in 20 degree weather and be happy with this jacket and its integral hood cinched tight.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great buy, January 15, 2013
This review is from: Marmot Men's Rom Jacket (Apparel)
Bought this for a friend for Christmas and he loved it. Perfect condition, arrived early, and fits description. Almost didn't buy it because in the picture the zipper was a different color but the description clarified it was exactly what I was looking for.

Marmot Men's Rom Jacket