4.0 out of 5 stars Sexy revenge romance
Published on April 30, 2012 by Lisa Wolff

3.0 out of 5 stars Good book with some "really" moments
Published on May 18, 2012 by Dizaray

4.0 out of 5 stars Sexy revenge romance, April 30, 2012
This review is from: To Wager the Marquis of Wolverstone (Wicked Wagers BK2-Regency Romance) Long Novella (Wicked Wagers Trilogy) (Kindle Edition)
Sabine thought her life was going to end up like a fairy tale. She was in love with Marcus Danvers, the Marquis of Wolverstone, and had high hopes she was going to marry him, which would be a huge jump in station for her. But they both loved each other and nothing else mattered. So when Sabine suddenly elopes with a Comte, Marcus is stunned and it quickly turns into anger. Anger that has simmered for ten years and he has done whatever he can to extract the blond beauty from him mind. When the lovely widowed Sabine turns back up in London, he is determined to prove to her and himself that they are through. But when Sabine asks for his help to help avenge her fathers death by winning a card game, he finds himself unable to resist and tosses out his own wager into the mix. If he succeeds in the card game, Sabine will become his mistress. As much as Sabine wants to refuse, she has to agree as nothing is more important to her than guarding the secret she holds closest to her heart. What follows is delightful romance that proves that true love will conquer anything.

Bronwen Evans is quickly become a favorite author of mine. She seems to have a talent for mixing heated romance with topics that are hard to experience. As the secret Sabine is hiding is what she believes to be shameful, I thought I had it figured out as the clues were dropped but it still had a bit of a twist to it that I always appreciate. Sabine has grown into a strong woman that will stop at nothing to protect what is most dear to her and if that means keeping the truth from Marcus, than she will no matter the cost. Marcus thought he had distanced himself enough from his young love but that is all quickly thrown away when he actually starts spending time with her again. He tries to uncover the truth about her elopement and it isn't until he is almost hit on the head with the answer before he can see the truth and it just might be too late to save Sabine. This was another enjoyable longer novella that is filled with passion and heat but also shows how revenge can be sweeter when happiness is achieved instead of a hurtful end. We get to see a bit of the previous couple from To Dare the Duke of Dangerfield (Wicked Wagers BK1-Regency Romance) Long Novella and we get just enough of a glimpse of what is too come in book three, one that I am anxious to read! If you are looking for a revenge romance that is based on true love and the true love conquers over the revenge with plenty of steam, this is a great novella for you!

3.0 out of 5 stars Good book with some "really" moments, May 18, 2012
For the most part this was a good book. But there are moments like in scary movies you are like, "Really" did she just do that. The scene by the river, why would she confront the villain, I mean "really". And then she agrees to meet with him..."really". Okay so this is the dramatic climax, but I still felt like shouting "gimme a break". But the rest of the story had a good flow. It felt like she was trying too hard to be a martyr.

5.0 out of 5 stars A nice little gem, October 16, 2012
This is the first book I read from this author. I came across this book just browsing around Amazon. The premise seemed interesting and the price was attractive so I said "why not". I'm so glad I picked this book up. What I loved most about it is the fact that I wasn't for even one moment bored. It's fast-paced and it always left me wanting to know more. I finished the story in one sitting. What I loved about this book is that there aren't useless fillers. Every scene, every conversation had a point and moved the story forward. And don't be put off by the relatively short length of the book (it still took several hours to read, about 150 pages) because it in no way detracts from character development and I promise, you won't feel short changed at the end. The hero and heroine were well fleshed out characters that I sympathized and rooted for the whole way.

So in the story, the hero Marcus has led a life of misery the last 10 years, pining for the one woman he's ever loved. He believes that she never loved him and played him for a fool. Of course, nothing could be further from the truth. The heroine, Sabine left him because she loved him (I won't give away the whole story). When the story opens, Marcus hates Sabine with as much passion as when he loved her. But what makes Marcus such a wonderful hero is that as much as he believes he hates Sabine, he couldn't bring himself to hurt her. Yes, he treated Sabine with contempt at the beginning, but I never felt for a moment that he crossed the line to being a bad guy. You can relate to his pain and of course speaking for myself I probably would have acted the same if I were in his position. The author created really relatable characters which is a testament to her talent.

The heroine was also a wonderful character. It's rare in any romance novel for me to like both the hero and heroine equally. Usually I like one so much more than the other. But in this story, I liked Marcus and Sabine very much. Marcus, despite the reputation he's created for himself is a truly honorable man who just can't get over his true love. Sabine on the other hand was faced with a horrible decision at a very young age and had to make the best of a bad situation. I truly admire her character because as much as she wanted to make the selfish decision, she put those she loved before herself. Our two leads had scorching chemistry and you'll enjoy every scene they were together (which is most of the story). I really enjoyed this book and in fact started it again from the beginning right after I finished. I can't recommend it enough, and for $2.99 it's a steal! I'm looking forward to reading other stories from this very talented author.

4.0 out of 5 stars This story was a bit darker than the first, but just as enjoyable., February 12, 2013
To Wager the Marquis of Wolverstone is book two in the Wicked Wagers trilogy and it is a dark delightful addition.

Marcus Danvers, the Marquis of Wolverstone, is a man who takes what he wants and doesn't care who is left wanting. A past hurt has changed him forever and if his cold demeanor doesn't suit you, well just walk away. He will make no apologies and will not ask for forgiveness. His tough exterior begins to crack when the reason for his cold heart reenters his life...Sabine.

Sabine Fournier has returned to London with revenge, secrets and unrequited love in her heart. Unfortunately they are all connected to one rake, Marcus Danvers. She must beg the former love of her life to help her get revenge on the man who ruined her future and along the way keep all her life altering secrets to herself to save the people she loves. But first she must convince the Marquis of Wolverstone to help her.

Revenge is never sweet and these two learn that the hard way. While they work together, Sabine keeps her secrets close to her heart and Marcus must just try to protect his. Family and friends are forward with their opinions and help, but in the end they must do it alone. Unforeseen problems arise that endanger both Marcus and Sabine. Will it be too late to save themselves and their love?

To Wager the Marquis of Wolverstone is a bit darker than the first in the series, To Dare the Duke of Dangerfield. While I think the first could be categorized as playful competition, this one could be hurtful vengeance. I think the extreme shift has turned many people off from the second in the trilogy, but if you have read the first one, you would remember that Marcus was rather forbearing and morose. I have no problem enjoying this story because of it. I think if Ms. Evans had done a complete reversal with his character, I would have faulted her for it. She did Marcus justice by sticking with his character and following through.

While To Dare the Duke of Dangerfield seemed like a complete package to me, To Wager the Marquis of Wolverstone left me a little wanting. Their past was too hurtful and secretive to be solved in a novella. The story was still well written, but sudden changes of heart and forgiveness seemed too fast and forced. Ms. Evans still did a nice job with the word count she was allowed, but I think the story would have been more fulfilling as a full novel. Am I disappointed in the book? Not really and I would still recommend it, but I just wanted more depth to go with so much pain.

I am looking forward to the last in the series, To Challenge the Earl of Cravenswood. It tells the story of the last of the bachelors, Henry St. Giles, the Earl of Cravenswood. On that note I have something to mention, Ms. Evans has released the complete trilogy in one novel - Wicked Wagers. It's available now, so if you are interested I would recommend that you get the complete series in one great collection.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not her best, January 5, 2013
I enjoyed Daring the Duke of Dangerfield, so I was looking forward to reading the next book in the series - but this one was not on a par with it at all.
First, the writing wasn't up to scratch. There were far too many instances when I had to stop, reread then scan ahead just to work out who was talking or whose POV we were in.
And shining - as in her eyes or his eyes or even the sun were shining is NOT spelled SHINNING!!!
Then there were the unrealistic 'you are kidding me' moments - the highly unrealistic actions the h takes.
I liked Marcus, the H. He was well written, and his character had loads of life and substance. But the h? Meh.
It also beggared belief that the h's father, after knowing full well the villain's role in destroying the h's future, would then turn around and invest in the villain's business! Excuse me?
And 10 years later, the h has the brains to devise a plan to get her revenge on the villain, to put that plan into action, and then with all the cards in her hand, not only betrays to the villain her part in his downfall, but then places herself unprotected in a situation where he can confront her; AND goes to pieces when he does, thereby giving all the power back to him!

I like the sound of Henry, so I might read the next instalment, but it won't be soon. I need to get over the disappointment of this one first.

3.0 out of 5 stars hmm, yes...well, maybe not, December 30, 2012
A good premise gets bogged down. In dealing with a highly reactive subject this author seemingly romanticizes the heroine's goodheartedness. Sabine is just a little to good to be true in her sacrificing herself for love. As an 18-year-old victim it rings true, however as a 28-year old woman not so much. She has a meltdown in thought processes regarding the "villain" and after the life she's endured it just seems waaay to contrived. She is truly going to continue to believe a man that has done her only harm will ever stop?

The book is going along great and then just takes off unrealistically before more great story then off kilter again.

The hero (Marcus) hates her for eloping and breaking his heart, so proceeds to engage in sex with willing women, vowing women are liars and love is a lie. Mostly he comes off as a rather ineffectual and shallow man, unable to move forward or take a stand and stick with it. His one redeeming factor is his ongoing love for Sabine.

Did two different people write this?

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read, September 24, 2012
I thought this was a great book, had me hooked from the first page until the last. Loved it!!!! Only wish it was longer. Can't wait for the third book to come out. Waiting with bated breath!!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars What I expect from this author and more..., July 18, 2012
I read the first Wicked Wager Book and fell in love with Harlow. I liked the premise and the secondary characters helped to move the story along. I just had to get this novella, and I was not disappointed. This is the fourth novel/novella that I have read from this author, and I can't wait until August to read Book 3. This is definitely worth the money spent!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic all the way to the end!, May 4, 2012
After reading the 1st novel Dare the Duke of Dangerfield and the wonderful HOT romance between Harlow (love that name) and Catlin, I could not wait to read Marcus' tale which I kept my finger's crossed that it would be as wonderful as the 1st novel.... and it so was! I absolutley adored Marcus and Sabine, they were equally as sensual and hot and romantic as Harlow and Catlin. I was enthralled from beginning to end as I was in book 1 and I cannot wait to get my hands on Henry's tale once it comes out!

I have loved many a hero/rake in my year's but this trio is by far on my top 5 list of all time fav's. They are the epitome of what a hero/rake should be and just with their sultry erotic phrases alone they have me breathless :o)

Keep up the wonderful job of spinning such detailed fun tale's Ms. Evan's you have a new fan in me!

Even though there were quite a few typo's in both novels, I still give this 5 stars!

3.0 out of 5 stars An Okay Read, September 14, 2014
This was not a bad read although I didn't like it as much as I liked the first book in the series. I really liked Marcus and thought Sabine was great. But there were some things in this book that had me thinking "really?" and couldn't enjoy it because of that. I thought the editing wasn't as good as in the first book. I didn't quite understand why Sabine's father would trust the villain with his money after what happened years prior. Unless he didn't know. But then it's not really explained so it keeps you thinking why he would trust someone so despicable. Towards the end, the villain says: "We will drive to Calais." They are in London. As far as I know, back in 1821 you couldn't just drive your carriage from London to France, they took a boat to cross the channel. It's then said a couple more times that they're driving to France. And what about any consequences to Sabine for what happened with the villain at the end? Did the authorities not question what happened? Did Henry hide what happened when he said he'd take care of it. Too many questions left unanswered for my liking.

It was still entertaining and I will continue to read Henry's story.

Read on September 14, 2014