From the Inside Flap
From the award-winning Web site visited by more than 2.5 million people every month comes How Stuff Works
, the definitive guide to the inner workings of everyday items. In this fun and infinitely informative guide, Marshall Brain and staff of "stuff" experts at HowStuffWorks, Inc. unravel the mysteries of more than 135 intriguing topics. You'll be fascinated by the world around you!
In Marshall Brain's trademark easy-to-understand language, complemented by beautiful full-color illustrations, you'll discover the basic mechanisms behind everything from toasters to turbochargers, dieting to DVD players, and cell phones to submarines.
Technology and scientific principles are all around you: whether in the chips needed to execute commands on your computer, or in determining how many calories you need to burn in order to lose five pounds. This exciting book explains—in a way you can easily grasp—how technology is a part of everyday life.
How Stuff Works contains:
- More than 135 articles written in Marshall Brain's award-winning style
- Hundreds of original color drawings that illuminate the incisive text
- "Cool Facts," "Did You Know?," and "And Another Thing..." sidebars that give you extra, insider information
- Color photographs
No matter what your age, if you're intrigued by how stuff works, you won't be able to put down How Stuff Works!
From the Back Cover
"A+" —Entertainment Weekly
1999 50 Best of the Web —Popular Science Magazine
Best of the Web 2000 —Forbes Magazine
"A+" —Washington Post Online
Pick of the Week —Yahoo!
Super Site —TBS Superstation
1999 Reference Site of the Year —LibrarySpot.com
Have you ever wondered...
- How helicopters are able to fly sideways?
- Why you crave chocolate and caffeine?
- What stops a car when you step on the break pedal?
- Where email messages go after you press the Send button?
In this definitive, generously illustrated guide, Marshall Brain and the experts at the award-winning Web site HowStuffWorks.com explain the magic behind everyday items and processes. You'll learn what the Internet really is, how airplanes stay up and submarines stay down, what GPS is and why you might need it, and how a whole film can be captured on a tiny DVD.
With this eye-opening book, you'll never look at a toaster, cell phone, or tattoo parlor the same way again!
- Hundreds of full-color illustrations and photos showing step-by-step images of how stuff works.
- More than 135 informative articles show you how the items you use every day work.
- All explained in Marshall Brain's trademark down-to-earth voice.