5.0 out of 5 stars A Perfect Gift!! History and Inspiration
Martha Ann's Quilt for Queen Victoria is a wonderful book for any young girl or boy. Kyra brought the story of Martha Ann and her family to life and skillfully gives us a history lesson that spans 3 continents. The book neatly illustrates the complex ties between the U.S., England and Liberia in a way that is sure to provoke many discussions for young (and old) readers...
Published on November 25, 2006 by Carole

2.0 out of 5 stars photographed pages?
I would have loved to read "Martha Ann's Quilt For Queen Victoria". It seems though, that the pages were photographed!? I was unable to enlarge the images thus unable to read it.
Published 16 months ago by Myrna Beebe

4.0 out of 5 stars A quilter's gift, March 26, 2007
Martha Ann was born into slavery in 1817. Her freedom was purchased by her father when she was twelve years old. He moved the family to Liberia in 1830 to begin a new and free life. As Martha Ann watched the British Navy protect the Liberian coastline from slavers, her personal gratitude to the British and Queen Victoria grew and it became her lifelong dream to thank the queen in person. The idea of presenting a gift to the queen grew in her mind and she began work on a coffee tree design quilt.

Finally at the age of seventy six, she traveled to England, met Queen Victoria and presented her with the quilt. Her dream was realized.

This story rings so true to me as a quilter. There is no more personal or love filled gift than a quilt. I have blocks, fabric and ideas for quilts in progress and quilts yet to come that already have the name of a dear one attached to them. I can absolutely understand Martha Ann's gift.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring, October 5, 2007
Martha Ann's Quilt for Queen Victoria was an inspiring story that reminds us to never give up on our dreams and also to dream BIG and leave the rest to God. As a freed slave, it seemed highly unlikely that Martha Ann would ever be in the company of Queen Victoria. But after 50 years of dreaming, PREPARATION and ridicule, Martha Ann got just want she wanted -an audience with the queen. Not only is the story true, it is inspirational to everyone not just children. Kudos to Kyra Hicks for bringing the story to light and inspiring us all to dream BIG!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Read, July 22, 2007
Readers of all ages will find Martha Ann's Quilt for Queen Victoria a fascinating journey through history as told through the eyes of our heroine, Martha Ann, who both captivates and inspires her audience. Martha Ann's Quilt for Queen Victoria is a must read especially young people as it teaches the importance of setting goals and following through on the work necessary to achieve them. Bravo to Ms. Hicks who had the foresight and the passion to share this most remarkable story.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Simple, Beautiful Story, January 23, 2007
This is a wonderful book which I enjoyed as much as my 2 1/2 year old. The artwork is beautiful and the story simple and inspirational. I look forward to re-reading this book as my son and daughter grow--this book highlights the importance of following your dream, despite others' opinions--a truly valuable lesson. I also think it's a good way of talking about other cultures (African, British and American) and their history.

5.0 out of 5 stars A precious story, June 7, 2007
smg "smg" (Richmond, VA) - See all my reviews
What a privilege it was to read Kyra's latest work to my 5 year old. She absolutely loved it, asking so many questions and commenting on the beauty of the book itself. This book was such a treat for both me and her! It's educational, uplifting and sweet. I encourage my daughter to always reach beyond the stars and this book reinforces that. We will read it again and again and share it with others! Thank you Kyra.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book!, May 9, 2007
This is a really interesting and unique children's book based on a true story. My children were really, really interested in the historical aspects. My kids are 5 and were very much into the story, asking a lot of questions about the history of it. I found it stimulated great conversation about serious topics.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great HERstory for Young and Old Alike, May 9, 2008
This was a great read; wonderful story about African-American history that young children will understand and appreciate, and that adults may learn a great deal from. Good length, tone, and wonderful illustrations. I sent the author a note and she provided me with a great reading guide via email!

5.0 out of 5 stars great story and illustrations, November 19, 2013
This review is from: Martha Ann's Quilt for Queen Victoria (Kindle Edition)
I enjoyed reading the kindle version to my family. The story has a great message to share with young people. We loved the illustrations as well.

2.0 out of 5 stars photographed pages?, September 23, 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Kindle edition, August 21, 2013
Sue (North Carolina) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Martha Ann's Quilt for Queen Victoria (Kindle Edition)
It is true that e-ink reading is next to impossible, but this book is definitely worth the purchase on a Fire. On my Kindle Touch (e-ink), the print is very faint and impossible to enlarge. On my Fire, it is still small but less faint. However, you can double tap the screen to enlarge the image. It is a slower way to read the book, but the text is worth the trouble. The pictures are fantastic on the Fire, of course. I loved the message, and I can't wait to read it to my kids.

Martha Ann's Quilt for Queen Victoria