5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful!
Published on April 1, 2008 by D. Wilson

3.0 out of 5 stars OK, but I know why Le Creuset is more
This pot/dutch oven cooks really well. My wife and I have made meats, chicken, chicken soup, vegatable soups, etc. We have used it on top of the flame or in the oven. Clean-up is not too bad either.

Published on June 28, 2009 by Bunson Honeydew

3.0 out of 5 stars OK, but I know why Le Creuset is more, June 28, 2009
This review is from: Martha Stewart Collection Red Enameled Cast Iron Chili Pot, 5.5 Qt. Red

As two others have said, this pot's enamel chips very easily. So it will look terrible after time. If you are not bringing it to the table when company is over, who cares. But if you are, it's kind of cheezy looking.

So if you don't want to pony up the cash for the Le Creuset pots, I have heard and read the Mario Batali ones are very good. Amazon carries them too. Supposedly they are half the price of the Le Creusets. Obviously if you can afford the Le Creusets, go with them.

Here's another good idea: If you don't need enameled cast iron, buy the Lodge preseasoned cookware. I love my skillet and grill/griddle combo. Lodge makes preseasoned dutch ovens. I think you'll pay about $40 at Target for a 5 quart model with lid.

Update 12/2009... Amazon lowwered the price on the 5 quart Lodge Dutch oven. I could have sworn I saw it for $26.

1.0 out of 5 stars Chipped enamel, March 27, 2009
I was very disappointed with this enamel pot. Within 2 weeks after purchasing and using it--the enamel began to chip on the handles and on the rim. Now it looks terrible. I'm very dissatisfied and I can't recommend purchasing this product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful!, April 1, 2008
When I saw this pot on sale, I just had to get it! I have always wanted to replace my old enamel roaster with a "LeCreuset-type" pot, and this one fit the bill. I used it the very day after I bought it with awesome results. I roasted a whole chicken inside of it with fresh green beans and carrots. The chicken came out so moist and tender, and the vegetables had the perfect consistency. Clean up was extremely easy. I didn't even have to soak it to get it clean. To me, the pot has paid for itself with one use. With it being so well made and sturdy, I hope that I will get many, many years of great meals from it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great pot for the price but...., June 30, 2008
N. Desai (Pleasanton, CA United States) - See all my reviews
Just bought my 1st cast iron pot and have not had the chance to use it yet. In comparing it to the expensive le crusete, it is hard to tell the diff. between the two. It looked great.

However, it tipped slightly after the initial wash and guess what, the green exterior enamel chipped from the sides. So now I am in 2 minds what to do.

3.0 out of 5 stars Too many flaws, not worth the money, October 9, 2009
I paid $120 for this at Macy's and at first I was in love with it. I've had it for a year now and I use it all the time, twice a week or more sometimes. Functionally, it is great. I love the way it cooks my food. I can't compare it as it's the only dutch oven I've ever used. However, the enamel does chip very easily, not only on the outside (which doesn't bother me so much), but also on the inside, specifically on the bumps that cover the inside of the lid.
Worse though is the knob. It's made of that "stay cool" plastic that other more expensive models use, but the knob is worthless. I have never used my dutch oven in an oven hotter than 400 degrees, and almost always keep it at 375 degrees. In spite of this, my knob started to seem like it was getting loose. I tightened it with a screwdriver and it fell right off - the threads inside stripped right out. Plus the screw attaching the knob is so short, it only went about 3mm into the knob! No wonder it fell off. So I ordered a replacement stainless steel knob from another brand, Le Creuset, for [...] , hopefully I'll be able to make it work.
Overall, I wish I had spent the extra money for a better product, like the Calphalon one that was for sale at the same time, because the lid had a handle that was one continuous piece with the lid, if that makes sense. No screws, impossible to fall off.

1.0 out of 5 stars Cheap dish, chipped dish, February 23, 2010
Bruce P. Gaber (Bethesda, MD United States) - See all my reviews
After a year of fairly light and gentle use the exterior enamel has chipped and the cooking surface has begun to pit is several spots. It won't be long before this pot goes to the thrift store. Sorry Martha, you talk a good talk, but you need to walk the quality control path if you're going to put your name on the product.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, December 27, 2009
I purchased one of these for my wife for X-mas. When we opened it, not only was the color different from the label, but the enamel was already chipped. I would never recommend this to anyone.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, January 15, 2012
I guess you get what you pay for. I bought this Martha Stewart dutch oven because it was so much cheaper than Le Crueset. Sadly the enamel soon chipped off under the lid, on the side of the pot, and on the handles. I was so disappointed and quite surprised to find such an inferior product in Martha's line of cookware.

1.0 out of 5 stars For everyone's sake it should be taken off the market., October 14, 2011
I cook a lot, and I have lots of different size and style Dutch ovens and this one is the all time worst! I purchased this one from the Martha Stewart line because it had a compelling argument that it could cook at a higher temperature than any other Dutch ovens, even compared to Le Creuset (which I have several and love) It chips, yes but that is not the worst of it, it does not cook evenly. It has such a hot spot that you cannot saute' anything without burning a portion. At this point I have to wonder if it's even made of cast iron. It is horrible and should be only used as a decoration, which Martha is better known for anyway.

5.0 out of 5 stars Martha Stewart Enameled Cast Iron Dutch Oven, December 28, 2010
I had a full set of cast iron Le Cruesset pots and pans before we retired and foolishly sold them in an estate sale when we retired. I really missed them, but they had gone up so much in price, I could not afford to replace them. I saw the Martha Stewart Collection at Macy's and really felt I only needed the 5.5 Qt Chili pot and wondered if it would be as good as the Le Cruesset, as it seemed very similar and although it was not as expensive, it was still very pricy on our retitement income. I looked on Amazon, and was pleased to find it at a much lower price. I ordered it and it arrived a few days later, brand new, in its original, never been opened box, perfect condition. I have used it for stews and pot roasts on the stove top and in the oven and it cooks just as well as my Le Cruesset. I love it!

ARRAY(0x971d6618)