5.0 out of 5 stars Great Detergent Try it before you review
Published on September 10, 2010 by MamaThree

3.0 out of 5 stars It was okay .. I use Seventh Generation now
I used this product for several months in the past until we used it up.

PROS:

Like many laundry detergents that try to be a little better for the environment, the cleaning is not as robust, but it was okay. All the kids clothes cleaned well enough.

Published on October 27, 2010 by Neil E. Isenberg

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Detergent Try it before you review, September 10, 2010
This review is from: Martha Stewart Clean Laundry Detergent, 128 Ounces, one Full Gallon ( Pack of 4 ) (Health and Beauty)
I just love this detergent. I was shocked when I read CR review of it. This detergent does clean, what it doesn't do is leave a bunch of chemicals and a fragrance. It is that fragrance that most people associate with clean clothes, but it's merely chemicals sticking to them! This detergent cleans great, and the pump dispenser is awesome! This detergent is great for my family, since we all have sensitive skin and don't like fragrance!

5.0 out of 5 stars Love the squirt top!, January 13, 2010
I am always trying to find fragrance-free detergent and this is great. I love that it has the squirt top, so the detergent goes into my HE washer without spilling. My clothes smell good and I love knowing I'm not washing a bunch of chemicals into my son's clothing!

3.0 out of 5 stars It was okay .. I use Seventh Generation now, October 27, 2010
I used this product for several months in the past until we used it up.

PROS:

They changed the mixture since getting a bad review on Consumer Reports for cleaning potential. I only have experience with it after the change, picked it up at Home Depot.

CONS:

When I used this stuff, for serious cleaning jobs I kept one of the top 5 detergents recommended by Consumer Reports ready on the side.

The pump in theory is a great idea for those with front loading washers, although it probably doesn't matter that much to those with top loading washers. In practice they bungled the manufacture of the pump. The pump is pretty wobbly. I'd say 5-10% of the time I get the stuff on the outside of the bottle or my hand, some of the time I hit the edge of the washer opening. I've gone through a few of these bottles and they all seem to have the issue.

I've noticed the Martha Stewart dishwashing liquid bottles get filled up to greatly varying levels and the darkness of the colors of the liquid vary a great deal among the bottles, all of which demonstrate the likelihood of some kind of quality control issue .. perhaps it is the same for the laundry detergent, too? When lined up on the Home Depot shelf one can see the differences in level and color from one dishwashing liquid bottle to the other.

The comments on this site about it smelling bad, we simply don't have that issue, not sure what to say there. I'm tempted to suggest it's a competitor's marketing team smelling blood in the water but who knows maybe it is another result of a quality control issue. Perhaps it was the old mix.

Brand protection is everything for these folks probably and I'm guessing Martha Stewart had little or nothing to do with this product's final form, because if she had, the pump would work flawlessly, the shade of amber and proportions would all be the same, and I suspect the cleaning power would be better :).

SUMMARY:

If you are in the market for the more environmentally friendly liquid detergents, try Seventh Generation at least as a starting point, when we were testing them we stopped on that one and have been using it ever since.

4.0 out of 5 stars not a pleasant smell, but cleans good enough, July 17, 2011
After being diagnosed with perioral dermatitis, I made the change to all sulfate free products.
I did read the reviews, smelled the product prior to purchase (ICK, it really does smelly fishy)
and decided to try it.
This product produces clean laundry and with the martha stewart fabric softener, has zero smell.
Static is not a major problem either. Once my bottle of fabric softener runs out, I will try the white vingear
(which I have read about to substitute as a fabric softener).
I will continue to use this product along WITH something to neturalize any odors.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great, May 27, 2012
I love this detergent. I have tried so many eco friendly laundry detergents trying to find one that works well, and, at the same time, is within our budget. We have had this detergent for over four months, and we are still not through it all which has made it very economical. I was a skeptic at first when I got it home, and it did have a slight weird "fishy" smell to it when you pump it into your washer, but the smell goes away, and you have very clean clothes. I have never smelled the "fishy" smell on our clothes after taking them out of the washer, so I live with smelling it when I pump it in. It cleans the clothes well, and I don't even use laundry softener, and they still come out pretty soft.

3.0 out of 5 stars Too Fishy, May 24, 2011
Blume (Miami, Florida) - See all my reviews
When I first used the detergent I was happy with it. My children have skin sensitivities and this detergent didn't seem to cause any problems. It did a fine job with my laundry.
I stopped using it for a couple of weeks and went back to my older detergent. I wanted to see if I noticed a difference since it is pricier than my regular detergent.
It smelled so bad when I pumped out some detergent. Like other reviewers posted it smells really fishy. I smelled my laundry after it washed and I didn't smell it on the clothes. There was no smell. I use white vinegar instead of regular fabric softener so if there was still a fishy smell it would have been noticeable. So if you can get past the smell it shouldn't be a problem.
Pumping directly into the washer was messy so I started using the cup that came with my regular detergent. I just pump what I need into the cup and add it to my wash. I am almost done with this detergent and I don't think I will buy it again because of the smell.

Update:
My husband complained about his shirts having a musty scent every time I used this detergent.

1.0 out of 5 stars It smells like FISH A$$., March 6, 2011
The headline says it all. It didn't smell that bad when we first opened the container but the stench has gotten progressively worse the longer we've had it. Fortunately, the clothes don't smell like fish a$$ after they've been washed. I've only washed moderately dirty clothes and sheets with it but I wouldn't use it to wash my mechanic's clothes. If you want a good environmentally friendly detergent, stick with Seventh Generation brand. They tend to be pricy but you can get coupons from their website and watch out for sales at the grocery store. You can also find recipes online and make your own.

1.0 out of 5 stars Can't get past the smell, February 28, 2011
Bought a nice big container of this stuff at the grocery store. Got it home and took a sniff, thinking it would smell like maybe cupcakes or herbs from Martha's garden. 'Fraid not - it smells more like a fish market. I use it with a pleasant-smelling fabric softener and it seems to come out all right. But I won't be taking home another jug anytime soon!

1.0 out of 5 stars Cannot decide if it smells more like fish or cat pee, July 26, 2011
J. Kellerman (Long Island, NY) - See all my reviews
This must have a short shelf life. The first time I used it I didn't notice the smell, but it got worse and worse over a few weeks. I hate it, it smells like urine, but then when I read other fishy reviews, I thought, yes, I can see that too. Gross. i am so cheap though, so I won't throw a huge container like that out. I simply use that for really dirty items (kid-dirty-foodstains), needing two cycles... I use it first and then do my second washing with another detergent. Oh, and I used it on the kids outdoor toys in a bucket of water with a rag, thinking it would deter other wild animals from the sandbox area, lol.

1.0 out of 5 stars It doesn't work!!!, September 11, 2010
I bought this detergent with the best intentions. It promotes itself as environmentally friendly, and with Martha's name attached to it, it had to be good, right? Well after a few weeks of using it, I began to notice that my laundry was noticeably less clean, and smelled like I had not used any detergent at all. I'm all for saving the planet, but does that mean we have to walk around with stained, stinky clothes?

I've never written a product review before, but I am so disappointed with this "detergent" that I am posting this on every review site I can find. Consider yourself warned. Shame on you Martha!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›