Top positive review
82 people found this helpful
Excellent book with superior results!
on April 13, 2011
I have all of Martha Stewart's cookbooks, so I was pretty excited when this one arrived.
Some of the other reviewers have gone in great detail about the exact recipes etc., so I won't bore you with that.
What I love about this cookbook (as with the rest of her cookbooks) are:
1) a photo for each recipe! I really dislike cookbooks that have a recipe and no photo, particularly for desserts. after all, i want to know what it is going to look like.
2) very clear, concise, and reliable directions.
3) it's very clearly organized (both the cookbook and each recipe)
4) a short blurb on the top for each recipe giving you tips/pointers
5) excellent step-by-step photos/directions in the back of the book for making pate sucree or pate brisee or puff pastry.
I trust Martha Stewart and know she will not put her name on a recipe unless it has been tested over and over.She hasn't failed met yet!
First pie I made was chocolate cream pie. Yes, it's a novice pie, but I have a 3 yr old so I wanted a crowd pleaser (or rather a kid-pleaser). Easy to follow directions for the crust, filling and whipped topping. It was absolutely delicious and looked professional. Pie was finished by my guests.
Second thing I made was the fruit tart. Rather than do the mini tarts, I did two nine-inch tarts (and she has notes in case you want to do a lot of mini ones or larger 9-inch tarts). Made the pate sucre, made the vanilla pastry cream the day before (my husband and kids licked the spoon from that!) and assembled it a few hours before serving. Beautiful, delicious and I was so pleased with the results.
I highly recommend this cookbook, and with her clear instructions, beautiful photos and wide assortment of crowd-pleasing recipes, I know this will be one I will be referring to over and over. Happy Baking!