Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Martin/ F. Weber Bob Ross Master Paint Set
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Adele Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

on March 16, 2012
I am getting ready to start my 12th painting, and I have only had the kit a little over a week. I fashioned a nice sturdy easel from a 6 ft stepladder, a couple of pieces of aluminum angle, and 4 C-clamps. Since then I have painted at least one canvas a day. I wish Amazon would allow room for user pictures in the reviews. Bob was right. ANYONE can do it!
review image review image
33 comments|87 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 6, 2013
While Amazon is selling this set for considerably less money than the local big box art stores in my area, it is not a complete set for what you need to follow along with Bob Ross and his videos. To paint almost any of Bob's paintings (including the one on the DVD in this kit) you will also need to purchase Prussian Blue, Dark Sienna, Yellow Ochre and Indian Yellow paints. In the instructional basics part of the DVD, Bob also recommends having a #3 fan brush, #6 filbert brush, 1" round brush and a #5 painting knife, none of which are included in the beginner kit. While you could definetly get started with the tools in the kit, I am very disappointed that all of the paint colors required to paint the picture in the lesson included are not in the kit, and I have to still go out and buy them.
66 comments|186 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 22, 2008
The Bob Ross Master Set is sold at retail for $100.00, and you can often find it for less. The person trying to sell this kit for $412.00 is a con artist (pun intended), and anyone who would pay that is stupid!

I am a Bob Ross Instructor, certified by the company, and I highly recommend the Bob Ross Master Set to anyone who wants to learn the Bob Ross wet on wet technique. It gives you the tools and paint, and a 1 hour DVD. You will need to purchase an easel and canvas separately.

Pay no more than $100.00 for this set, however. If you pay more than that, you are getting scammed! Do some research (bobross.com is a great place to start) and see for yourself. If you purchased the Bob Ross Master Set at the right price, congratulations. You are on your way to painting happy trees with Bob, and you will not be disappointed.

Kelli Bosarge
Certified Ross Instructor
33 comments|170 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 26, 2007
I started off painting with this set 5 years ago,but there was no DVD or tape included.It is a brilliant Starter set for anyone who wishes to learn the Wet On Wet Technique.As I am self taught,this set can only give you more encouragement to Oil Paint the easy way.Thank Heavens I got the best Gift ever.I sell my Original Oils on Canvas and I will never look back.Brilliant for beginners and advanced.as Bob used to sat "the only thing holding you back is imagination" but believe me Imagination will kick in.Go on.. Buy..you won't regret it.
on February 4, 2016
A friend got me this beginner set for my birthday. I've watched the Joy of Painting for many years - way back in college I'd watch it to fall asleep - still do - but it wasn't until the last year that I was watching it and getting that itch to really give it a go for myself. My only real barrier to entry was the equipment, which to me is quite expensive. When my friend presented this to me I was overjoyed. I've never done any kind of painting before - much less oil, but I did my research and got the needed items to accompany this set. If there is one drawback to this it is that you need to invest more money to actually start. I bought the Bob Ross odorless thinner (though I wonder if the Mona Lisa brand would also work as well - you get more for your money there - if anyone knows, please comment), got the beater rack, bucket, table easel, and some additional paints and brushes that were not included (though now I know you can definitely paint the picture from the DVD with the paint included - just need a basic understanding of mixing colors).

Here are few of my early experiences and mistakes that might help other beginners: My first painting was a wasted canvas because I put on too much liquid white - I found out later that night from a blog that you only need enough so that you can put your finger on the canvas and see a clear fingerprint. I felt a little discouraged but wasn't ready to give up - I'd invested too much money in it for that. I took another shot that night and made a pretty good effort. People (friends on Facebook and family) seemed impressed and thought it was great (I've attached the image). Still working on pallet management and not wasting paint. It takes a few paintings before you see a trend in which colors you use the most. I use (in order of the most used) Titanium White, Cadmium Yellow, and Van Dyke Brown the most. I'd recommend you buy the 150 ml tubes of it - this set comes with the 37ml tubes - to buy these individually its anywhere from 6-10 bucks (depends on color) per 37 ml tube. So far I have found the 150 ml tubes to be much more cost effective. They are between 12 and 17 bucks typically on Amazon. I did the math and it's something like 4.04 37 ml tubes for every 150 ml tube. It's a no brainer - no longer buying the tiny tubes. Also, when painting make sure you beat off all of the thinner from your brushes when cleaning them. I was being too gentle and found out the hard way that you can turn solid paintings into a thin watery substance on the canvas. Once I really "beat the devil out of it" the whole game changed. I'd say that my first 3 paintings were affected by that mistake. I have attached my very first painting (the one I actually completed) and my most recent paintings (#4 and #5 respectively in the same photo) as an encouragement to those who wish to begin painting without any experience. I think the improvement I've made from paintings 1 to 5 are encouraging - especially to me - someone who has no experience or a formal teacher. It can be done - don't give up - let the mistakes teach you and there are always further tips online to help. Improvement is ready to happen. This beginner set is a fairly affordable purchase to taste and see if you want to continue and grow in the wet on wet technique. Push through the mistakes (errrrr happy accidents) and keep on going. Happy painting and God bless!
review image review image
on March 18, 2014
I'm just starting out with the Bob Ross painting technique, and received this as a gift from my wife. This is the same set they sell at Michaels and Hobby Lobby, but it is a much better value when purchased on Amazon. It's cheaper here than buying in store even with their perpetual 40% off coupons.

The brushes appear to be of excellent quality, and the 37ml tubes of paint are larger than I expected them to be. I thought they'd be itty-bitty, but they are of a nice size. This set contains one tube each of pthalo blue, bright red, cad yellow, van dyke brown, midnight black, alizarin crimson, sap green, and titanium white. It also contains a bottle of liquid white (about 120 ml). I bought a 470ml plastic jar with a wide mouth (about 3-4 inches wide) at Hobby Lobby and emptied my liquid white into that. It makes it a bit easier to brush out the product onto the canvas than going from the original bottle (that's about the size/shape of a travel shampoo).

One thing I've read about from many people who paint this method is to have at least two of each brush. It's supposed to save you from a lot of constant brush cleaning, and I'd agree with that. If you try this set and like the Bob Ross method, you may as well buy a second Master Paint Set here at Amazon. Think about it. If you were going to buy another knife and the four brushes included in this set, and a small bottle of liquid white, you'd be paying pretty close to the price of this set, and you get the paints as a nice bonus. I've heard a lot of people complain that you pay a premium for Bob Ross materials if you paint this method, but I've found the brushes and paints pretty comparable to other lines -- so long as you do your shopping around. Buy paints locally at Hobby Lobby or Michaels when they have 40% off coupons. You can buy brushes there with the same coupons, or here at Amazon and pay pretty similar prices.
on April 5, 2015
Bob Ross was such an inspiration for me growing up. I loved watching him paint on television and hearing about his stories and thoughts. When I started painting with Bob Ross I slowly added to all of my painting supplies. Paint, Easel, Palette, Brushes, Brush Cleaner and more. I would of imagined the Bob Ross Products being more expensive then others but they are really not. To get started also on a smaller canvas is not expensive. You do not need everything I listed to start out. I can honestly say I have so much fun watching and listening to Bob Ross. Watching my painting come to life is just as much fun!

I actually still have 2 of my Bob Ross paintings framed. I have also given a Bob Ross Painting, or should I say a Bill G painting with Bob Ross Style to family members and they still have them hanging today! I have most of the Bob Ross painting products and they were all priced very fair for the quality of product you receive. I would highly recommend this to anyone who would like to start oil painting, or just wants to learn from Bob Ross.
review image
on January 24, 2012
What a great starter kit for anyone who wants to start oil painting. Trust me, you don't have to have any special artistic talent to discover the "Joy of Painting" using this kit. The Getting Started DVD thats included with the kit will help teach you the basic "Wet-On-Wet" technique and Bob teaches you how to paint a beautiful painting using just the materials that are included with the kit. After you do just one painting you'll be hooked and your friends and family will be astounded by your new found talent.

*Note* First time artists still need to invest in an easel, palette, canvas and a way to clean your brushes.
on August 10, 2015
I painted my first painting the first week I bought it. I know some people have complained that not all the colors are included, but a rudimentary knowledge of color mixing solved that problem This was my very first oil painting and I already have a buyer.
review image
on April 10, 2012
I bought this because I needed a pallet knife and the brushes, and the liquid white. The kit was cheaper than buying the items seperately plus it came with paints and a dvd. I'm quite pleased with it and have ordered a second one. I love the Bob Ross technique and you can apply it to much more than just landscapes. Everyone thinks I have talent but it's easy for anyone to do