5.0 out of 5 stars AN AMAZING AND ENCHANTING STORY!!!
I downloaded this book because I love teen and YA books. The narrative grabs you right from the first page and I was instantly in love with the writer's ideas. The plot is exciting and captivating and the book draws you into its world in the same way that the Harry Potter books do. The book is intelligent and imaginative and I would recommend it to readers of all ages.
Published 5 months ago by Kophi Kingston

3.0 out of 5 stars Great for Young Teens
Joseph Martin and the Space Angels by James McGovern is a fun adventure tale especially suited to the middle grades. Both boys and girls would enjoy this fast-paced venture into a steam-punk world where fourteen-year-old students achieve super-powers to help save the Earth but who still suffer the pangs of first love.
Published 3 months ago by Kathryn L. Wood

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars A fun, quick read, July 4, 2014
Barry Hoerz (Mayville, WI United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Martin King and the Space Angels (Martin King Trilogy Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
This book was a fast read on a lazy day; I enjoyed it very much. I liked that the author included enough detail to allow me to enter each school e need, but not too much that it would bog the story down. There were a couple of grammatical mistakes that were distracting, but otherwise the story flowed well and kept my attention.
Poo

4.0 out of 5 stars great young teen science fiction read, April 26, 2014
Falcon is an Axis Lord on the planet Hope, his job is to protect Prince Agamon against any threats. Falcon learns that XO5 is due to strike again and plans to destroy planet Earth. The people of Hope have a strict rule on non-interference. However, Falcon can not stand aside and let another planet be destroyed. He defies his people and travels to Earth to meet the three destined to save the planet.

Everything points to Martin King together with his friends Darcy and Tommy as the only ones that can save Earth from total destruction by the evil XO5. Martin must place his trust in many strangers, some from another world, to guide him on his journey towards destroying XO5. But who can he trust? Many things are not as they seem on the surface.

What a great adventure it was to join Martin, Darcy and Tommy as they discover they are the ones destined to save the planet from imminent destruction. Some very unique storylines and expertly written with young teen (11+) science fiction readers in mind. There was a lot going on in this story. Lots of action and twists left the reader questioning who was good and who was evil. There was no time to get bored. Martin and his friends managed to get themselves in and out of many scapes visiting different worlds and meeting people who may not be who they seem to be. The little side story of Martin’s affection for Darcy was very cute and I think McGovern did this exceptionally well.
Looking forward to the next edition in the Martin King series and hope to see Martin’s character develop more and gain some confidence. Would also like to see more use of the trio’s super powers.

5.0 out of 5 stars AN AMAZING AND ENCHANTING STORY!!!, February 15, 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredibly entertaining, February 11, 2014
James McGovern’s ‘Martin King and the Space Angels’ is perhaps one of the most entertaining YA fantasy-science fiction novels I’ve read recently. Apart from the author’s high-quality writing (from the first few pages you immediately realize you’re reading a work from a seasoned writer), the novel pushes all the right buttons that make reading it such a rare pleasure.

The book, at its heart, is about the boy Martin King who, for some reason since those darned aliens arrived, could no longer live a normal life. Together with the love of his life, Darcy, and his cousin Tommy, Martin receives a special set of super powers that (according to the friendly alien Falcon) should not only enable them to find that mysterious object quickly and without much glitch, but also battle it out with the evil XO5. But whether or not Falcon was spewing BS, you’d have to read through the rest of this engaging tale. But let me suffice it to say that this is a book that will give you reading pleasure for hours.

James Mcgovern has created a character whose adventures (and misadventures) you will love to follow. Martin King is something like a cross between Harry Potter and Frodo—a reluctant hero-to-be that any Tom, Dick and Harry can relate with. I also love how he’s the typical “virgin” who could not even muster the courage to tell Darcy his true feelings—this sexual tension that reverberates throughout the novel adds a compelling, believable dimension to the “alien arrives to mess our sh$t up” plot.

Needless to say, I absolutely love ‘Martin King and the Space Angels’—and here I am speaking as an adult reader, so I bet it’s also going to be a huge hit among the young adults that the genre mostly caters to. If you’re looking for a fun, well-polished read that will entertain from start to finish, get a copy of this book today—or send this as a gift to your like-minded friends. It is simply awesome.

5.0 out of 5 stars Such a good story, February 11, 2014
Martin and the Space Angels is a story that takes you back to that nostalgic time of adolescent years, where you're a little too shy to reveal your love for your best friend, and where the appearance of an interesting stranger excites you instead of frightens you. I was immediately captivated by this book. The writer does such a great job of developing his main characters and making you relate to them, and behold their journey with vigor. Martin and his two friends are a informed of an impending disaster. X05 is preparing to destroy Earth, but first it must find a hidden treasure. That's where Falcon and the three youngsters come in. Prepare for an adventure!

5.0 out of 5 stars Could Barely Keep Up With The Awesomeness Of This Book!, February 8, 2014
This story started off extremely exciting and stayed exciting the whole time, which is absolutely awesome because most books have slow parts in them (especially at the beginning) that make me lose interest in them right away or after a while, but this one was the opposite. Incredibly unique story line that I haven't heard before and every time that the main character had to make a decision, I was on the edge of my seat wondering where he would go with it. Was kind of sad to put it down when I was finished but definitely read it pretty quick and had a few binge sessions where I just sat and read this book and blocked out the rest of the world haha definitely pick this one up, it's a great read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kick Butt Young Adult Fiction, February 15, 2014
Penny (Mountain View, WY United States) - See all my reviews
Young Adult fiction is blazing hot right now, maybe it’s because reading appeals to more teens since they can do it on their handheld devices; and maybe it is because this genre is finally coming into its own. My personal belief is that all of us are young at heart and we don’t need the heavy romance and super-dark content often found in “adult” fiction, we just want to be well entertained and given some small morsels of food for thought. No matter what you believe, it is hard to make yourself stand out from the crowd; but James McGovern has done so with his character Martin King.

For some reason, this genre also has a hard time creating well developed male characters. McGovern does not suffer from this ailment, Martin King is a compelling and well written male protagonist and you just can’t help but feel like you have become his friend. Darcy is a great love interest, and Tommy fits the role of best friend very well. The aliens in the story are believable and fascinating. I will be recommending this book to all of my nieces and nephews old enough to read it. I recommend it to you too, and can’t wait for the rest of the series to come out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Story!, February 8, 2014
I often read books before I let my kids read them. I am so glad I picked this one up! I loved the story line and the characters were strong and well developed. There was a lot of action and suspense. Reading this book made me wish I had super powers too! I highly recommend this excellent young adult book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Teen Sci-fi, March 18, 2014
Definitely for the teen crowd. Fast read for me, and pretty good, though I am far from being a teen. If it is available in paperback I will purchase it for my nephew.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book for YA fantasy readers!, March 18, 2014
Being a keen reader of YA fantasy books i was really excited when i heard of this book and it's safe to say, i was not disappointed!

Martin King and the Space Angels is the type of book that makes you unaware of what twist could be lying on the other page. At some points i was genuinely worried for the characters. The author has a special way of gripping a reader tight and not letting go until the book is finished and leaving you wanting more! Having found out this is the first part of a series, i am really excited for the release of the second and third? This book has everything; Teen romance, superpowers, the aspect of family concern and even time travel! This book is a must read for fans the fantasy and/or outer space genres! I will be recommending this book to everyone i know! Fantastic Job!

While reading this book i really couldn't help but picture it as a film! I hope in the future you will get that opportunity James! Thank you for such a good read!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›