Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Martin SP 7100 Phosphor Bronze Lifespan Coated Acoustic Strings Light
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

on April 17, 2011
OK, I like what Martin has done and yes, the strings will last about three times as long as the as the un-coated Martin SP Phosphor Bronze strings. They are better than the other company that produces coated strings because the wound strings don't get hairy and flake when they start to wear. I am a Tommy Emmanuel,Chet Atkins style senior guitar player. The drawback with my style playing is that the strings seem to cause some fret board finger "drag" if you understand what I am trying to say... They are not "slippery" .. Don't get me wrong, these will be great strings for the majority of guitar players. For me, I feel that the Martin Acoustic Phosphor Bronze Light 12-54's are MSP4100 are the best strings on the market, however they have a shorter lifespan (loss of clear crisp tone) which is the obvious reason why Martin is now producing Lifespan coated strings.
on June 20, 2013
Great-sounding, extended life string, but after 45 years of playing, the packaging throws me. Three envelopes contain the following string combinations: High E & D, B & A and Low E & G.

If the strings could be removed from the envelopes individually, this would not be an issue. Unfortunately the strings are intertwined and must be removed in tandem. If you're changing strings on a bench, it's not a big problem, but trying to replace a broken string during a gig is a source of frustration.

Individual envelopes would have earned these Martin Lifespan Strings five stars.
on November 20, 2014
Very good strings. They do seem to have a longer life than Martin's regular strings, but they never sound quite as good. It's almost as if the coating on these strings somehow keeps the deterioration from a downward slope to more of a plateau that lasts surprisingly long. I find that these strings just seem to age more "gracefully", but they never sound quite as good as the regular strings do when new.
on October 5, 2012
I have to agree with one of the previous reviews that say the strings create "finger drag"
They seem to be nice strings, but are a bit "sticky" I guess depending on your style they might work fine for you .( i am a bluegrass player) and i prefer the feel of uncoated strings.
on April 15, 2012
Whenever I played with traditional strings, my fingertips would turn green. This was because bare metal would react with the salt and sweat from my fingers and oxidize (similar to the Statue of Liberty). This corrosion causes the strings to become duller and worn out. The defining feature of this product is the coating which is meant to prevent moisture from causing this reaction. Therefore, your strings last much longer. Traditionally, the coating has reduced the sound quality of guitar strings. However, this product is wonderful! For the first 3 days the strings sound strange. But after they stretch out a little, they sound perfectly fine. My fingers have stopped turning green; proof that the product works! I have yet to buy another set of strings.

2 months later:
These strings have been great, but I do have to admit they do not last 3 to 5 times as long as advertised. They last about twice as long.
on July 6, 2014
These strings are long lasting and produce very good sound. They are coated - easier on my fingers - and I know some people like the uncoated ones for what they say is superior sound, but I see little or no difference. The extended life and the improved feel with the action make them worth the price for me. I play nearly every day, and these strings last for a good month before they begin to deaden.
on November 20, 2014
Great strings love them I will see how long they last. (Update) I have been using these for a couple months now. The strings are holding their tone well and shown no sign of discoloration. I will be ordering these again. I can say they are worth the extra bucks. and sound great on my Martin Guitar.
on December 11, 2014
I do not like the tone of these strings near as much as D'Addario 80/20 strings. They don't ring as well and feel like I lose a little from the top end. They are good quality so there is nothing wrong with them other than the tone I prefer from an acoustic guitar. These feel flatter.
on December 18, 2012
I had a luthier repair my in-warranty HD-35 some time ago. He threw a set of these on and I've never looked back. Been using them exclusively ever since. Pay no attention to those "little men behind the curtain" who say there are shortcomings in sound or playability. They're just fixated on the past. I also have a Guild, and I use regular bronze or phosphor bronze with that, but I've decided to throw these on it as well. If I notice anything bad I will update here. Meanwhile, these are, to me, superior to Elixir --although I am willing to concede that it may just be a "first love" experience with long-life strings. However, I did notice that the Elixirs don't feel as good under the finger. Something about the coating, I suppose. Also, I've had more breakage with Elixir (but then, I could have been cranking the tuners too hard while drunk on tequila or something --only it's happened more than once--and I don't drink Tequila daily ... well, not always daily anywayz-z.. Hic!

Seriously, folks ... Martin's got a hit here. I am surprised that these aren't more competetive, but then again I suppose they entered toe "lifespan coated" string market a bit late. Ah well....
on June 11, 2015
I have been using these strings on one of my Alvarez Yairis (DY71). The guitar is naturally warm and doesn't project quite as well as my DY77 and the these strings help with tone and projection. They sound amazing. But the best price on these strings these days is $12 ($15 at the big box guitar store). Not so bad IF they prolong the life of the string. And they may if you play A LOT. But they go dead just sitting in a case as well as hard playing.

I gave it three stars because of the price. The uncoated 4100 strings are the same strings, uncoated (according to Martin) at half the price. $6 for coating? I don't think so. As others have pointed out, unlike the other brand of coated string, the coating does not add to the slinkiness of the string. If slinkiness is required then the simple solution is to use a product like Finger Ease which will work just as well on non coated strings, so why pay the extra money for the 7100s. Just sayin'. In full disclosure I have not tried the 4100's yet, but will do so next change and will edit my review if they are radically different sounding than the 7100's.

But again, on my guitar the SP 7100 strings sound amazing.