5.0 out of 5 stars Unbeatable Value......Great Sound for the Money
Published on December 22, 2010 by student42

3.0 out of 5 stars Great until the sub started popping
Pros: Inexpensive, sounded great initially.

Cons: Subwoofer started making static/popping noises almost exactly 1 year after purchase. Static/popping persists after removing source. Static/popping prevents the sub from going into power save mode.
Published 17 months ago by sagar

5.0 out of 5 stars Unbeatable Value......Great Sound for the Money, December 22, 2010
This review is from: MartinLogan MLT-2 Home Theater System (Black) (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Electronics)
Let me start by saying that you would be hard pressed to find a better set of 5 speakers and a subwoofer for anything less than $900. I am a speaker fanatic and have owned B&W, Mirage, KEF (reference series), Klipsch, Bose and many other mid to high end speakers. Obviously the MLT-2 set is not the best speakers I have ever owned. However, the best speakers I have ever owned cost thousands of dollars just for a pair. I am using these in my workout room and I am more than impressed with the sound for the money. These sound way better than the KEF satellite set up that one of my good friends paid over a thousand dollars and they sound better than most all of the Bose satellite speakers. That is coming from a KEF fan, as my favorite speakers are the KEF reference 201 speakers that I have owned for the last 7 years.

After letting the speakers break in for a period of 30-40 hours the sound is mostly full across the board but may be lacking in the lower middle range. With that said, I never have heard a set of satellite speakers that could fill in this range. Most people will probably not notice. The rating on these speakers is 100 watts. I did hook them up to my 300 watt Sunfire amp just to see how they sounded and they handled the power just fine. If you are trying to match a receiver to these speakers I would recommend buying one with a decent amount of power because these speakers are power hungry for their size. The sound quality would probably be diminished with a cheap, low watt receiver. Your speakers can only sound as good as the signal that they receive. I would recommend a Marantz, Denon, or Rotel receiver in the 100 watt range.

Overall I would give these speakers 3.5 out of 5 stars for absolute sound quality, but overall I gave them 5 stars for the sound quality per dollar because these speakers have outstanding value at the $599 dollars Amazon is charging form them. When you start comparing mid do to high end speakers in a given price range, sound is subjective. You should always listen to the speakers if you have an opportunity to do so. Keep in mind you will never get the sound quality out of a set of satellites that you will out of a good full size speaker, but if you are in the market for a good home theater system in a small package for a heck of a deal, these are the speakers for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Phenomenal speakers for the price, December 31, 2010
I bought these speakers for under $400 in a lightning deal on Cyber Monday. I never had expensive speakers at my home but I was always aware of good sounding speakers and the science behind them. These speakers are outstanding considering the current price, let alone the lightning deal. The four satellite speakers are comparable to those that cost under $1000, but the sub and the center channel speakers are completely a different level. I hooked these to Pioneer 1020k receiver and they sound awesome. So, if you are looking for best sounding speakers for under $600, buy these. If you are looking for best looking and decent sounding speakers under $600, buy Mirage Nanosat 5.1. As for Bose Acoustimass 10 potential buyers, save yourself some money and time.

Pros:
1. Impressive sub and center channel.
2. Build quality.

Cons:
1. Satellite speakers shape is kind of odd and it's difficult to place them on universal speaker stands.

5.0 out of 5 stars MartinLogan MLT-2 Home Theater 5.1 speaker system, June 3, 2011
I purchased the MartinLogan MLT-2 system at an Amazon cyber deal 6 months ago for 399.99. The speakers are connected to an Onkyo HT-RC260 receiver, so the home theater setup cost me $720. Overall, I am very pleased with the sound quality of the speakers. I am ecstatic about the price. For bookshelf speakers, the sound is bright and crisp, with house rattling bass (if you want it). However, the journey to this level of satisfaction was not without its turns and twists.

When I received the speakers, they were well packed and undamaged and easy to hookup, using 14ga speaker wire. They are being used in a large room (20x45) and they provide clean, room filling sound. There was a problem with the subwoofer. When in Auto-mode, the subwoofer would automatically detect if a signal was being sent and turn on/off automatically. (Someone with an integrated system would not need the sensor since the whole system would power on and off together.) The MLT-2 auto-function would cycle on/off continuously, sometimes two or three times every half hour. When the subwoofer powers off, it would make a big boom. I complained to customer service and they sent out a second subwoofer immediately. I tested them side by side and the subwoofers cycled on/off in a similar manner, each time with an annoying boom. I continued my complaint and they sent out a third unit! Now I had three subwoofers and I tested them using different cables and different outputs on the receiver (the Onkyo has three dedicated subwoofer outputs). All three units behaved almost identically, switching on and off within minutes - sometimes seconds of each other. Even after using the Onkyo speaker balancing program, the on/off cycling continued - although to a much lesser extent. I finally increased the subwoofer gain manually to the maximum +10db and the cyclig pretty much disappeared. So I packed up the two replacements and sent them back to MartinLogan.

Another reviewer in this section complained about receiving defective speakers - the two replacement subwoofers that had been sent to me were both damaged, presumably by UPS. The first one had two corners crushed and one of the metal fins on the back heat appliance bent. The other had slight cabinet damage along an edge and corner. I was lucky with the original shipment, because everything was undamaged.

I was able to mitigate the problem with the Auto-function, by tweaking the amplifier. It's not perfect. Sometimes the subwoofer cycles on/off during a movie, which is annoying, but now it tends to be rare. If it were to become a problem, I would not use the auto function and remember to power the subwoofer on/off manually. I might blame MartinLogan for this, but after reading about the Auto function, it seems that many manufacturers have this problem. For the price and sound quality, as well as the responsiveness of customer service though, I rate the MartinLogan MLT-2 5 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Class act company!, October 9, 2013
I purchased this set despite a few reviews complaining of a crackling sound from the subwoofer. As luck would have it, my set did exactly that within 10 days. I purchased the set from the "other company " My bad. They expected me to drop $90.00 to return a10 day old set despite the fact only the sub was defective. I called Martin-Logan and they were stunned.. They actually called the" Other Guys" and confirmed my claim. They immediately sent me a return package with instructions to simply remove the subwoofer power supply and send it back. 4 days later and they have been flawless since. Martin-Logan stood behind it 100%. A Class Act. If ur sub is crackling.. even at low volume, Martin Logan will make it right.

5.0 out of 5 stars Crystal clear but very natural sound, March 24, 2012
I'm not a "reference" quality audiophile, but I have ears and know what I like and have spent an unhealthy amount of time listening to music on many different types of systems, including a $100k system (that, unfortunately, is not mine).

There is no need to compare these to anything else. Yes, there are many good speakers out there, but the simple fact is that these speakers are amazing for the price. I happened to get them on a screaming "Black Friday" deal, but, now that I've listened to them while playing lossless (MLP) high-res DVD-Audio in 5.1 surround with a very good quality player (Oppo BDP-93), I am stunned at the quality for the money and would happily pay much more for these speakers.

I use them in a small room (one reason for choosing this set of speakers) with the Oppo BDP-93 and a Marantz NR 1402. The DVD-A mentioned above is King Crimson's 5.1 MLP mix of "Discipline," which is nothing short of stunning.

In other words, by any measure of "audiophile" quality equipment, my system is dirt cheap and not particularly high quality (the Oppo excepted), yet all of these superlatives apply wholeheartedly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Speakers, August 28, 2012
First, these speakers need a break-in period. With the 3-5 hours a day my tv is on in-between the whole family, it took about 2 weeks. The lower mid's coming from the satellites became much fuller. The highs have also lost their harshness. Most people may never notice these things but I have been doing higher end audio for a long time and little things don't get past me. For the price these are some of the best speakers I have ever heard. I would highly recommend these.
If you are looking for the under $1000 budget this is the best thing I have found. This will kill all the Bose systems out there (which is a horrible speaker anyway, but it's a lot of people peoples idea of what is good)

3.0 out of 5 stars Great until the sub started popping, April 21, 2013
Pros: Inexpensive, sounded great initially.

Sub was never turned beyond 30% volume, and was kept at 60Hz cutoff. The rest of the speakers still seem to be fine. I loved this set when I got it. The popping is really awful, and it manifested extremely suddenly.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great System, Sub-Woofer Broke After A Month, May 24, 2013
Not sure if this has happened to others, but after about a month the sub-woofer started making a popping/crackling sound. It's not a blown speaker, since it makes those noises regardless of whether it has any connection to the receiver. Sounds like an electrical feedback problem. Other than that the speaker system is incredible. It sounds amazing. Fills our space incredibly well. And you can tell the speakers are well built by their size and heft! I'd definitely recommend it. I just hope you don't get the same sub-woofer deficiency I did.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome package for the price, May 15, 2011
P. Vora (Stamford, CT) - See all my reviews
I purchased MLT-2 after looking at various speakers for long time. Amazon and Newegg had it for a great price of $350 with free shipping and I jumped all over it on Amazon due to its friendly return policies.

I have had it for a month now and I love it. Originally, I was planning to buy 2 additional floor standing speakers to make it a 7.1 channel set up, but now with the quality of sound, I am not planning to add as I am very satisfied. The subwoofer is also very powerful.

Overall its a great buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Crispy Clean, September 30, 2011
Wow what a steal. These speakers sound great at all volume, The sound quality is phenomenal... I have this system hooked up to a Sony STR DN2010 7.1 surround and both the speakers and the receiver are absolutely great quality for the price. The sub is powerful, and plays very clearly at high volumes but not too much below 30 hz.

Rate and Discover Movies