5.0 out of 5 stars MartinLogan Motion 40, July 29, 2013
tom c. (LAKEWOOD, OHIO, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: MartinLogan Motion 40 Gloss Black Floorstanding Loudspeaker (Each) (Electronics)
I am, after owning the ML Motion 40s for 6 months now, completely sold on and happy with my new speakers ... For close to 15 years, I thought my (no highs, no lows, it must be ****) were a high quality set of speakers ... until, that is, I gave a listen to the MLs at the local audio store.

My son had come home from college and wanted to get a pair of bookshelf speakers for his computer set up to replace the iMac's built - in ones ... so I set out to research a good set for him ... that's when I began to learn that my speakers weren't held in high regard amongst the audiophile community - so I was interested in an upgrade for myself too.

After a few weeks of research, I had decided on a pair of DefTech SM 55s for James and possibly some Monitor Audio Bronze towers for myself ... until, that is, we arrived at the audio store and heard the MartinLogan Motion15s and the ML Motion 20s ... The Motion 15s sounded brilliant - not to belittle the Motion 4s, but a side to side comparison left me with no doubt as to which one I'd buy for James. The Motion15s would be an investment well worth the extra $.

After hearing the Motion 20s and the Monitor Audio Bronze side by side - again - the MartinLogans sounded clearly superior.

There were no Motion 40s available for a listen, but considering that they have a 5.5" mid-range woofer and two 6.5" low-range woofers compared to the Motion 20s' two 5.5" low-range woofers, the higher price tag seemed well worth it.

I bought the Motion 40s (in beautiful dark cherry) with the idea that they would be a "rest of my lifetime" type of investment (@55 yrs old :-) ... and six months later, I'm convinced that I made the right choice ... My classical music and opera Blu-ray discs sound fantastic - from the timpani and double basses, through the mid range of crystal clear vocals, cellos, violas, woodwinds and brass, and up to the higher range vocals, violins and flutes, the MartinLogan Motion 40s deliver a completely wonderful sound that's easy to get used to.

A month or so later, I bought a MartinLogan Dynamo 700 subwoofer, followed by a ML Motion 30 center channel speaker to complete a delightful and fully satisfying 3.1 home entertainment system.

The Dynamo 700 and the Motion 30 are right on par with and are a perfect compliment to the ML Motion 40s. The combined effect of these four speakers provide me with a highly detailed and perfectly seamless sound stage with which to enjoy my music Blu-rays as well as the various Netflix content with my wife.

Would I like to bring up my pair of MartinLogan LX16s (last years' eqivalent of the Motion 15 bookshelf speakers) from the exercise room and have an incredible 5.1 thing going on upstairs? Sure ... but I'm not made of money and the LX16s, along with an older sub, sound really nice for music and Netfix while we exercise.

Last year at this time, I had a 5.1 upstairs as well as downstairs ... Although in downsizing to a 3.1 upstairs and 2.1 downstairs, thanks to the MartinLogan Motion series, things have never sounded better ... and along with my other older sub and AVR, my son's quite happy with his 2.1 set up, featuring the highly capable Motion 15s.

UPDATE: I recently brought my LX16s upstairs to complete a 5.1 set up and things sound even better now ... The MartinLogan Motion series are some great sounding and fine looking speakers :-)

4.0 out of 5 stars So far so good., April 1, 2013
Initially, they sound good, but the manual indicates a break in period of 72 hours, so I expect if anything it should get better. This speaker has four terminals on the back. One needed to be replaced and Martin Logan has been very good about listening to my concerns and are shipping out new terminals. Just want to point out that the packaging does not ship very well and my orders arrived with puncture holes and rips in the boxes - all of them. Not sure where this is happening, but, either Martin Logan or Amazon have to improve their shipping strategies for me to consider buying expensive items again online. I wanted to buy from a local retailer but they never seem to have stock.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Speakers, December 8, 2012
I haven't had heard any speakers as these before. The bass is incredible and the twitter marvellous so the quality of the sound is amazing. I congratulate ML for this piece of technology and art. After I hooked the Motion 40 to my Hi-Fi set (HK 990/HD 990/JBL E250P), my house filled with a profound sound and I jumped to another listening dimension. I'm not kidding; try them in your Hi-FI dealer and discover it by yourself.

5.0 out of 5 stars These speakers are crazy amazing!, March 14, 2013
First of all, I am a Bose 901 fanatic. I have patronized these speakers for over 12 years. I just recently decided to see what else was out there. Started doing my research for audiophile speakers, and my world got stupidly complicated. There's so much to choose from and you have no idea of where to start. I had read that bose did not have the highs that audiophiles demand, so I started the quest to find what I was supposedly missing. My local Best Buy scratched my itch. The Magnolia Room there has a plethora of "audiophile" speakers and recievers. I started with the highly acclaimed B&W CM9's (beautiful, earthly, mellow sounding speakers). I was impressed, then the Martin Logan electostatic speakers. The higher end ones blew me away, but I learned very quickly that they were directional and you had to be in the "sweet spot" to really appreciate them. A very selfish speaker that I knew my guests couldn't share with me. Then I listen to the Motion 40s. Bright (I didn't realize I liked bright speakers), articulate, precise, tight. I knew I had to have them. I am so pleased! I paired them up with a brand new Marantz sr6007 reciever that is also amazing. I've never been so high tech in my life. I had to hire a professional to come and connect everything for me. I even have the ipod/iphone/ipad app loaded which allows me to control pandora, and the TV wirelessly. I'm in heaven. I can't wait to come home with a glass of wine and totally engross myself in utopia. My set up thus far includes the motion 40s, motion 8 center, and ML 700w dyno sub. Do yourself a favor, if you like music even a little, try these speakers, they'll blow you totally away!!!!! Go take a listen, you won't be disappointed. By the way, my whole set up including the AV was about $3100. Martin Logan is currently running a special where the center speaker (a $300 value) is free. So, I saved a few hundred bucks!

5.0 out of 5 stars Motion 40...WOW, November 9, 2012
Thomas J Preston (Holly, MI United States) - See all my reviews
I purchased a pair of Motion 40 along with the Motion SLM as my center for my HT. I have had them for 2 weeks now and have played them under many different tests. I am truly amazed how relax and effortless the sound fills my 24x24 room from just a Onkyo TX SR805...
The sounds stage is immense, detailed clean and uncolored! I hear things I never heard before from my old music...just love these Piano Black Beauties!! I was convinced that I was going to buy a pair of Monitor RX8's till I heard both of these side by side and fell in love with ML Motion 40. Oh...they even past the SPOUSE test...catch her cranking em up when I get home from work...

5.0 out of 5 stars Where is the 6 star option?, June 17, 2014
glinkot (Sydney, Aust) - See all my reviews
Well, I've recently concluded a long research period and purchased these speakers (In Australia where they cost much more than Amazon has them for. Unsurprisingly Amazon doesn't ship them out here though).

The choice came from a really detailed set of auditions along with a good share of internet research. The catchcry of 'trust your ears' applies here though. I originally was auditioning some bookshelf speakers for space reasons, but once I heard these I fell in love, and room had to be found!

** My Requirements (overall system)
I was primarily interested in a system for music. My tastes are very broad; mainly I listen to goa/psy trance (which challenges speakers more than 'human made' music in many sonic respects), but also lots of older and contemporary things like Fleetwood Mac, general Rock, Classical and others. This led me to think an integrated amp would be my choice instead of a receiver, but I found my way through that.

** Auditions
Once I got started on floorstanders in earnest, the main serious auditions I did were for some Elacs, the Paradigm Studio 60's, and various Dynaudio offerings, the latter being recommended by the hifi store I was at.

Elacs -> I was originally very impressed with their bookshelf version; the floorstanders sounded good until I tried the Motion 40's. It was like taking a blanket off a speaker, particularly due to the folded tweeter on the motion 40's.

Studio 60's -> Fairly bright also, probably too much so for me. Certainly these were comparable to the Motion 40's but I noted some harsher tones in the upper mids, and some acoustic and string instruments sounded a bit 'cabinetty' for want of a better term - you could actually hear the characteristics of the cabinet imposing itself on the tones.

Dynaudios -> I'm not sure of the exact model, but they were the ones closest to the motion 40's and studio 60's in price. For that amount, you get their relatively 'entry level' floorstander with a fairly basic looking cabinet with smaller drivers than the others above. Some love the sound of these and say they are more geared to music than the others, but I respectfully disagree. They certainly take more power to drive than the others, so you have to correct for that; but they sounded very flat to my ears. I don't like too much brightness in speakers, but I really found these went too far the other way. Nuances audible in the Studio's and 40's were barely audible on these guys. The store happened to have a full room of Dynaudios in the room I was doing my auditions, and I went all the way up to the $50k (in Australia at least) ones (called 'evidence' and 'confidence' etc) before I found something I enjoyed the feel of comparably with the Motions.

Motion 40's -> Rich, beautiful tones. The crossover is really amazing - I can't say I've analysed many others, but listening to 'You know what' (N.E.R.D) displayed how the voice came *only* out of the top driver, and the separation of responsibilities between the drivers was really impressive. I found string instruments like cellos were just incredible (Canon in D felt like they were sitting in the loungeroom with me). I think these would actually be fine without a subwoofer for most purposes (particularly for music only, if you aren't an electronic music enthusiast).

** Other System Components
I was moving from a Logitech system so effectively I selected everything from scratch. If you can audition everything in a showroom, that's the best thing. If you can't, the system below is quite incredible and I can recommend it heartily:

Receiver: Cambridge Audio 751r. I tried the Marantz SR7008 and Denon AVR-X4000 initially, but was thinking I'd end up with a stereo amp (with its various limitations regarding an AV system, HDMI ins/outs etc). So I squared the above up against an integrated amp (Anthem 225 - made by Paradigm, the sister company of Martin Logan) and the Cambridge. They formed two totally different 'classes' to my ears. The Marantz/Denon sounded quite scratchy in those upper mids all important for female vocals and cymbals - but I have to say I only began noticing that once I compared it to the 'amps'. But once I noticed it, it really annoyed me! The other 'class' was the Integrated 225 and the Cambridge. The bass was hugely richer and textured in those two. I was still ready to lose the extra 'receiver' features if I could find anything better about the amp, but I couldn't. The 751R is in every way the equal of a dedicated amp, to my ears. I had a comparator for all these things and was ticking back and forth between them, and I could find no difference. So that's what I went with. It's limitations are around 'peripheral' (to me) features like the lack of airplay, network connectivity, and nice on screen menus. The OSD is strictly 'config' related. But the power and quality trumps all of this. The other unique (as far as I've seen) is the fact it runs more power through the L/R channels when in stereo mode. Most of the others are just '80w' x 7 or however many channels they support. This one starts high, and gets higher again when in stereo mode. This matters not for loudness (of course it helps there!) but for quality. Incredible receiver. Note: There's a 751R V2 coming in around now (mid 2014) which updates a few non-essential things; keep an eye out for that or ask for a discount on the run-out version if you can.

Subwoofer: Paradigm Sub 12 sub. I'd have to say I over specced things a little here, but I got a good deal on it and I didn't want to have to upgrade in a few years. This thing is amazing, and takes 2 people to put it in place. I'd compared this to the Seismic 110 and some other more 'compact' offerings, but this guy responded to some serious low frequencies the seismic ignored. Take for example 'HeavyWeight' by Infected Mushroom. The intro to that is a great sub test, and separated the offerings nicely. I also tried some of the Martin Logan subs, which were good, but until you get right up there in cost they can't compete with the Sub 12's 1700w RMS power. That's a lot! And great for music. If you're in a smaller room though, the Seismic 110 was musical and very compact, albeit with a smaller driver (10inch) and half the power. The MilleniaSub sounded quite good but wasn't very powerful for the cost.

They are now all at home getting broken in as we speak. Even before the breaking in, I've been sitting at home listening to familiar tracks getting new types of tingle down my spine.

Well done, Martin Logan!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth the money, June 16, 2014
Bought a pair of these from a local store here in Chicago. I was initially looking for the Klipsch RF-82s, but decided to listen to a few others side by side for comparison purposes, including the ML 40s, B&W 800 Series Diamond, etc. The MLs blew me away, especially for the price. To be fair, the B&Ws are phenomenal, but they're crazy expensive as well. The MLs made my ears, wallet, and wife happy, so ultimately won.

I broke them in over a period of about a week. I tested them both on wood floors, as well as the carpet in my basement. Sounds great either way. I like the little metal spikes you can screw on as well. The speakers look elegant, yet understated. They don't have the bold, in-your-face look of some other speakers I've seen. You tend to forget about them entirely and just listen to the music, which is really the main purpose anyway.

I'm using a Marantz SR6007, which provides these speakers with a very clean sound. I also have the ML 500 subwoofer, which is completely underpowered and not worth the money. Thankfully, the ML40s have good bass themselves, so make up for the lousy sub.

Overall, I'm extremely happy with this purchase. If you love music and crisp, clean sound, definitely give these a shot.

5.0 out of 5 stars Blown Away, November 25, 2012
First off, I am 20 year-old audiophile with good-to-mediocre hearing; some of it damaged by my passion for car audio.
Besides the point, I've heard multiple tube amps including a McIntosh 2100 and a Qinpu MK6000, which I currently own. I've heard both amps hooked up to a pair of M&K S-1Bs which sound absolutely remarkable. On my quest to find the "perfect" speaker, I've demo'd hundreds of speakers including ones from companies like KEF, B&W, McIntosh, M&K, BIC, Magnepan, Energy, Paradigm, KLH, Audio Research, M-Audio, Pioneer, Infinity, Cerwin Vega, Definitive Technology, and many more of which aren't worth even naming. Basically I'd like to say I know what good sound is, as subjective as that may be.

Now I'd like to say I'm a listener who prefers a brighter speaker and I will always be biased towards that kind of sound.
These Martin Logans BLEW me away for what they were, and despite the folded motion tweeter, they weren't sweet-spot lasers. Gracefully, they filled the 12x18' listening room with ease; sounding as if the female singer was literally in front of me. I'm not sure what was even playing but the illusion of a live concert is a sound I don't hear from solid-state amps, nor speakers being marketed at Best Buy...

Now I do not actually own these speakers but they've definitely caught my attention with their simple aesthetic elegance and pristine sound. I'm seriously considering demoing these in my home for 30 days on my definition of proper amplification to really unleash their potential.

I mean seriously, give these a listen.

5.0 out of 5 stars MartinLogan speakers, February 4, 2014
jay gibson (woodland hills, ca United States) - See all my reviews
The Motion 40 are all that they claim to be and more. Beautiful sound, highs and lows. I got some 12 gauge speaker wire for them and they are even more robust.

5.0 out of 5 stars martin-logan motion 40 Tower loudspeaker absolutely phenomenal this speaker it is absolutely stunning, September 19, 2013
absolutely great speaker the best I have ever had it is sleek it is sexy and it outperforms any other speaker on the market hands down the best speaker I have ever owned sounds amazing could not ask for anything more I am an avid martin-logan fan I love all of their products I have the motion 40's I have the motion 12 I have dual dynamo 1000's I have dual motion 15's I have dual motion FX is I have dual SL Tues I also have the motion 10 I love martin-logan especially the motion 40's probably one of the best speakers Martin Logan has ever made thank you so much great quality fast shipping great price thanks again I will buy from this seller again I recommend them to anyone looking for any type of audio equipment thank you

Rate and Discover Movies